Page 126 of 403 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176226 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 10055

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Those OT periods were some of the most exciting hockey I've seen in over 50 years as a fan. Extremely proud of the NYR run this season, completely unexpected. Hopefully they aren't 1-and-done and will be back in the hunt next year. With a few tweaks (cutting Richards loose, Nash pulls his head out of his nether regions), I think they'll make some noise. Congrats to the Kings, they were the better team throughout.

I made a comment a few pages back about the Rangers and Habs possibly being the teams on the rise in the East. I'd love to meet you guys again in the playoffs next year!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Daddy
    For many Canadians, the Los Angeles Kings' Stanley Cup win on Friday night was bittersweet, and not because it meant yet another American team hoisting the Cup. (We're used to that.) Rather, it's because Alec Martinez's double-overtime goal didn't just signal the end of the playoffs -- it signalled the end of an era for Hockey Night in Canada.

The Canadian institution will be back next season, sure, but it won't be quite the same with Rogers pulling the strings, and the montage that closed CBC's final broadcast of the 2014 playoffs, set to Queen's "The Show Must Go On", seemed to reflect that:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...071317200.html

Better team won no doubt. I'm still shocked the Rangers made it out of that 3rd period! that was as lopsided as I'd ever seen. The two OT's were also some of the most exciting I've ever seen. Rangers went farther than anyone expected and have a lot to be proud of. Need to get more size next year!

Congrats to the Kings...well deserved
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Rangers went farther than anyone expected and have a lot to be proud of.
    Congrats to the Kings...well deserved
    QFT. Really just a bunch of misfits that for no reason other than a belief in themselves made it to the Finals and had a hell of a series. A bounce or inch here or there and....
    Proud of them boys!

Classic Cup photo winner easily goes to Brody Clifford, Kings' Kyle Cliffords' 8 week old son-

Hope that diaper don't leak!

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-...ord-nhl-hockey
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    See you all in October!
    What do you mean October? There's still the trophy handouts, and the draft, and free agency signings!

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    What do you mean October? There's still the trophy handouts, and the draft, and free agency signings!
    I'm just glad you posted something that wasn't a meme!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm just glad you posted something that wasn't a meme!
    Thanks for reminding me!

kings cup.jpg

For all intents and purposes, this was the sign-off of the CBC doing their own hockey broadcasts.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    For all intents and purposes, this was the sign-off of the CBC doing their own hockey broadcasts.
    Let's just hope that Rogers doesn't fuck it up. I never felt like the CBC prioritized money over hockey. They always seemed to maintain the spirit of the game first and formost. I just don't have that same faith in Rogers. Time will tell...

So far, Rogers is batting around .250. They've retained Jim Hughson who's a keeper, but they've also retained Bob Cole who is well past his best-before date.

The unquious Ron MacLean is still around but in a reduced role and let's hope it will spell the end of that inane Don Cherry.

From the local scene, it probably means that Dean Brown will move over to TSN, but his analyst the past few years - Denis Potvin - will be gone. I'm hoping they will pick up Garry Galley, although I'm not sure he wants to follow the Senators around all season.

Is everything status quo in Leafs land? (Joe Bowen, etc.?)
    Last edited by rottersclub; 06-16-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Is everything status quo in Leafs land? (Joe Bowen, etc.?)
    I'm not really sure. I haven't heard anything about it. I know they've added George Stromboulopoulos to the roster...seems like an odd choice to me.

I'm not really sure. I haven't heard anything about it. I know they've added George Stromboulopoulos to the roster...seems like an odd choice to me.
    Rogers is trying to get younger and more relevant to the Milleniums who are starting to outnumber the Boomers. It's all about demographics and disposible income!

In the past few years, Rogers Sportsnet had all of the Senators games that weren't on CBC or TSN. With the big 12 year contract that Rogers won earlier this year, TSN was forced to pony up more $$$ to get the regional rights to the Sens games away from Rogers. To that end, the local broadcast team will probably be drastically different with the exception of Dean Brown who has called just about every Senators game on radio or TV dating back to 1992. I was just wondering what was going on with the Leafs. We don't have anything comparable to Leafs TV and all 82 games are available on one of Rogers SN, TSN and CBC.

This article made me LOL...several times.

The tattoo is very well done but....Why??? Why would anyone do this?

Bruins fan gets stupid P.K. Subban water bottle squirt tattoo

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...143414387.html

Draft week dealing begins...Philly sends Scott Hartnell to Columbus for RJ Umberger...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/fl...nes-franchise/

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Draft week dealing begins...Philly sends Scott Hartnell to Columbus for RJ Umberger...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/fl...nes-franchise/
    A lot of mixed reaction around here on this one. Hartnell is an underachieving fan favorite.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

New HOF class announced--and it's a great one IMO...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455528

Awards airing live tomorrow-
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=723076
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Vancouver sends Ryan Kesler to Anaheim for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, and the Ducks 1st round pick in 2014.

James Neal to Nashville...whoa.

Can't say I'm thrilled with the returns the Sens got for Jason Spezza - Alex Chiasson, a US college player, an OHL player (all three are "power forward" type players) and a second rounder next year. Sens have basically lost a huge amount of offensive skill that will be replaced with "pesky" players. Their goal of reducing the goals against by 50 next season is possible, but their goals for will probably drop by more.

If this keeps up, Ottawa will become the Montreal Expos of the NHL - a farm system for the teams that spend to the cap.

It's very disheartening.

BTW, Ales Hemsky signed on with the Stars for 3 years. He and Spezza had instant chemistry when he came to Ottawa at the trade deadline last year. He might be a sleeper pick in your fantasy league.

BTW, Ales Hemsky signed on with the Stars for 3 years. He and Spezza had instant chemistry when he came to Ottawa at the trade deadline last year. He might be a sleeper pick in your fantasy league.
    Now that he's playing in the west again he's a better pick to end up on the DL than on my fantasy team.

Lotsa moves yesterday! Habs trading Jorges was a bit of a head scratcher to me, but I'm thinking that we have a slew of young defensive talent we have to move up into the big leagues. Jorges did look vulnerable in the playoffs, so maybe Bergevin is pulling a Belichick and letting a guy go one year before he's done as opposed to being stuck with him one year after he's done!

No tears for Gionta. Not too much tread left on those tires, imo... Vanek we knew would move on. Not worth the money the Wild spent on him imo.... Besides, we need all that $$$ to re-sign Subban!

Sather makes his annual goon overpayment with Tanner Glass. Hope he fits well but I don't get it. We lose Boyle, Stralman and Pouliot and gain Dan Boyle. Yes, soon to be 38 year old Dan Boyle. Well, he is still excellent on the PP. Really hate to lose Stralman. He was real solid. Great possession player. Happy we signed D Moore, but not feel in' too good about the rest.

Brian get ready for 5 years of ups and downs with Pouliot When he's on he's fuckin' ON! But has long cold spells and takes the most untimely, head-scratching penalties I've ever seen.

I think Pouliot suffers from bi-polar personality. He was just as you described him when he played in Montreal. IIRC he was a top 10 overall draft pick back in his day, and every once in a while you get to see that player, but mostly it was untimely penalties and half-hearted shifts.