Page 10 of 402 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

The Caps looked like a team already eliminated last night. Habs look like a team that is gelling very well WITHOUT Subban... I'm curious to see how that plays out. If he was smart he'd sign the 2-year deal and bide his time. Habs strength so far has been the powerplay. Also, the goal the Caps scored in the 58th minute of the game was the first goal the Habs give up in a 5-on-5 situation. Defense has been very solid and Price has been Price.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The eons are closing
    Isles v Bruins tonight....gotta call my brother and tell him the B's suck!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Yves, the key guy for Habs has always been Markov. In the same way that Karlsson initiates a lot of offence for my team, so does he for the Habs. If he can stay healthy, Bergevin doesn't have to fold on Subban. I figure that P.K.'s agent will eventually get that and come to Bergevin with hat in hand. And it would make sense for Subban to take a shorter term deal for less money, say 2 years, put up some big numbers then go back to the table and get his monster RFA contract. That may be the new trend under this new CBA. Interesting stuff for us make-believe GMs.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Phlyers sign Knubel to 1-year deal as hartnell gets the 6-8 week injury prognosis.
    Happy about Knuble, as I've always liked him.

Not so happy about Hartnell, and now Andrej Meszaros is going to be out a while, it seems.

Injuries + shortened season don't go well together.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I realized something the other night while watching a hockey game (Flyers? Probably. They're on every night.) I wouldn't usually watch: this January start is perfect for me.

Football is done. It's a fall sport not a winter sport, and I've found that my interest in the Super Bowl (er, the "Big Game"--I don't want the NFL to come after me) has waned in recent years. Too much spectacle, not enough sport.

I can't stand basketball, and baseball is still months away.

But thanks to the late NHL start I've been able to follow story lines in the league from day one. There are a shitload of games on with nothing else to watch. The October start time for the NHL is way too early. NFL, college football, baseball playoffs, plus decent shows on cable (HBO and AMC usually have 2 or 3 shows worth watching on a regular basis)--it's too much and not enough time for hockey.

January? I'm playing fantasy hockey. I know players on teams I would've never bothered knowing. I would love to see the NHL regularly start up in mid-December or so. Cut the season down, cut some teams out and find someone to replace Brodeur in net for the Devils next season. Make it happen, NHL!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'd be happy if they started in December. The NFL is heating up, and hockey would be getting their stuff together. By the time football is over, hockey would be in full swing.

I just don't think it should go as late into the spring/summer as it does now.

And I'd very much prefer that it got a little bit of love from ESPN. I really don't understand the way they cover the NBA - I don't know anyone who cares even a little about the NBA, but most of my friends and family follow at least some hockey.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Yves, the key guy for Habs has always been Markov. In the same way that Karlsson initiates a lot of offence for my team, so does he for the Habs. If he can stay healthy, Bergevin doesn't have to fold on Subban. I figure that P.K.'s agent will eventually get that and come to Bergevin with hat in hand. And it would make sense for Subban to take a shorter term deal for less money, say 2 years, put up some big numbers then go back to the table and get his monster RFA contract. That may be the new trend under this new CBA. Interesting stuff for us make-believe GMs.
    I agree. Markov is already the team's leading goal scorer with 3. His defense partner, Diaz, was leading all NHL defencemen with 5 points as of Thursday. When P.K. was on the power play, he'd shoot erratically and the Habs would often lose the puck as a result, killing the power play chance entirely. An effective power play is one where you get right on top of the other team right from the get go and pick your moments to take accurate shots at the net. Habs been doing that so far this year and it has paid off.

PS: Subban will sign a 2-year deal with the Habs or he won't sign at all. The Habs been doing things "The Hab Way" for a long time now. That won't change. Subban has shown spurts of being great, but is not great yet.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Re: Subban - Agree on that he's not great yet. (And he needs to grow up a bit too. Not all his teammates love him. ) Apparently, the comparable guy that they are citing is Tyler Myers. Sorry, but I don't see P.K. being all that comparable to Myers. I heard on the radio last night that Montreal has made a new offer and P.K. and his group were going to consider it over the weekend. But as you say, it's on the Canadien's terms, not his.

Re: PP - agree that bad shots are worse than no shots. The keys from the blue line are: 1) find a lane; 2) a quick release is more effective and a big booming slapshot (the days of Al McInnis are over); and 3) keep it down and more or less on net (the majority of goals from the blue line are from deflections or rebounds - the goalies are so big now that if they can see it, they will stop it). The one thing that will kill a PP is when the team stays on the outside and just keeps cycling the puck around the perimeter. The short-handed team is fine with that. So the key is motion. The guys on the PP have to keep moving and cause the SH box to break down.

The one thing that will kill a PP is when the team stays on the outside and just keeps cycling the puck around the perimeter. The short-handed team is fine with that.
    You've just described the Rangers Achilles heel. It's something I just can't figure out because on paper, you'd see names like Richards, Gaborik, Nash and think...ooh deadly power play. Nope. It's all perimeter, especially on 5 on 3's where it's even more beneficial to the shorthanded team! The other night against Philly is a great example. 5 on 3 for 2 full minutes and they didn't get a shot on goal! That is outrageous! Anyway, it's something that needs fixing.

Rangers seem very disjointed right now. It's a damn short season so I hope they can find that chemistry soon.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Watching the Sharks on NHL Network. Marleau just scored his second goal of the game, and the announcer said it was his fourth straight two-goal game. That's a pretty damn good way to start the season!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Wow.

...and Wade Redden nets a power play bomb tonight for the Blues

Scott Clemmensen looks like shit tonight for Florida.

The Flyers already have 5 goals, and they've only played two periods. I imagine his night is over.

Another game, another Blues win (4-3). Perron, two goals... Halak was solid in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Scott Clemmensen looks like shit tonight for Florida.

The Flyers already have 5 goals, and they've only played two periods. I imagine his night is over.
    Ah...Theodore played the first period, giving up 3 goals on 9 shots. Clemmensen only began playing at the start of the 2nd, giving up 4 on 17 shots.

Hope they haven't scored all of their goals for the week in one game!

Leafs were up 2-1 in the third period. They lost 5-2. Yep, hockey is definitely back.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...and Wade Redden nets a power play bomb tonight for the Blues
    I'm happy for the guy. He was my favourite player for many years. He played the game with a grace and elan that made it look effortless. They used to say that he was one of the best at making "the first pass". The knock on him was that he played the game too soft, but every so often, someone would piss him off and he would punch the snot out of the guy. Everything went south for the guy when his mother died and I don't know if we'll ever get the whole story on how such a fine player's skills could erode almost overnight.

Yeah, you're right, Redden's biggest knock here was being soft. And he was, but once in a while, he'd get pissed off and beat the hell out of someone He was doomed from the beginning though because of the ridiculous contract. Something that wasn't his fault by any means, but it made expectations impossibly high.

Rangers forechecked the Leafs into oblivion last night. Totally wore them down. This is the stuff! Rangers also signed Jason Arnott for a year? I'm not sure I get this one. Good face-off guy, big body in front of net sure...but old and slow. I'm confused because to me with the loss of Sauer, we need a solid 6th D man. Who knows...

Blackhawks are 5-0, they are looking good, getting some good bounces along with some referree-friendly calls. Columbus scored a legit tying goal last nite in the 2nd period, but the ref waived it off. Hossa is playing well, surviving last year's season-ending hockey hit, Mr klonk's phrase.

The one thing they still don't have is muscle, so it will be the normal question come playoffs time, skill vs muscle. Probably their best pure physical guy, Danny Carcillo, blew out his knee in the first game. They have been able to skate up and down the ice so far, but we know that changes come playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Probably their best pure physical guy, Danny Carcillo, blew out his knee in the first game.
    Consider this a blessing.

Carcillo is very effective when he's not taking stupid penalties.

Hossa is playing well, surviving last year's season-ending hockey hit, Mr klonk's phrase.
    Ya lost me, Ken. Did I have comments about that hit?

Carcillo is very effective when he's not taking stupid penalties.
    i.e. he's not very effective.

Rangers forechecked the Leafs into oblivion last night. Totally wore them down. This is the stuff!
    Friggin' Brian Boyle was a beast last night. But listen Klonk, no matter how good your first line is, you need some support from the other lines. Torts is notorious for shortening his bench and wearing his stars out.

I agree. That's probably where the Arnott move comes in to play. I'm not a big fan of having Nash/Richards/Gaborik together. I'd love if they could find some chemistry where they can spread those guys throughout the first two lines. I think there's definitely talent there to make it work. Though all the lines were very solid last night.

Power Play is still a mystery to me.