Page 107 of 403 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 10053

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Well look at that. Devils are only a point out of the wild card. As long as they don't get in any shoot-outs, they might make it (I think it's up to 14 in a row they've lost).

Guess I'll be cheering for the Islanders today.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    You've made reference to a #68 twice in this thread but the Habs don't have a #68. In the playoffs last year iirc it was Lars Eller who got knocked out. He wears # 81.

I gotta say that the look on Paul " I Am The Walrus" McClean's face yesterday, as the Habs spotted him 3 goals in the first 5:50 only to come storming back with 7 unanswered goals, was priceless! This guy just went from the Jack Adams to the minor leagues in 2 seasons! LOL!!
    Arghh! Sorry about the numbering screw up. What number was Diaz?

You're right Yves - when Bryan Murray was asked about MacLean's status, he did not get a big vote of confidence. What a fickle game this can be. Pretty much the same team playing the same system under the same coaching staff look completely different than the previous year. It makes no sense. And MacLean was totally speechless after the 7-4 loss to Montreal. I think he said he was "numb". This season can't end soon enough for me.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Ha, The Habs...the only Canadian team going to the playoffs! Will the entire country of Canada get behind them?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Bruins prevail, just so Jerome can hoist the cup. Or the Blues. The thought of Alex Steen and Carlo Colaiacovo, two players the Leafs gave up on, do likewise, would be priceless.

neil

By the way, while we're on the subject of blood baths, metaphorical or otherwise, a question. Now, I love a hard body check as much as the next guy, but am I one the few here who could do without fighting at all, playoffs or regular season, and am completely fed up with guys getting run into the boards from behind?? Or, are people still on board with brawling, gooning, beat 'em in the alley hockey? Just curious.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    By the way, while we're on the subject of blood baths, metaphorical or otherwise, a question. Now, I love a hard body check as much as the next guy, but am I one the few here who could do without fighting at all, playoffs or regular season, and am completely fed up with guys getting run into the boards from behind?? Or, are people still on board with brawling, gooning, beat 'em in the alley hockey? Just curious.

neil
    Nope. I feel exactly the same. For the most part, anyway.

I don't mind a fight if there's a "valid reason" for it. But I hate the orchestrated, "hey, ya wanna go?" kinda stuff.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I like the fights, but would be fine without the goon vs. goon sideshow. A heat of the moment battle can be a game changer.

As far as boarding goes, as much as I hate to see it, I just as much hate how players are constantly turning last second to draw those penalties.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

When you have a chance, take the time to read this great article from the March issue of The Atlantic...

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/...s-here/357579/

Sounds like Torts is going to be out today.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Arghh! Sorry about the numbering screw up. What number was Diaz?
    Diaz wore #61 with the Habs, but I think it was Eller who got laid out in that playoff game, possibly due to an ill-advised Diaz pass?

3 more games before the playoffs. Habs looking like they will host the Lightning in round one. I'll have to miss the first 2 games as I'll be away next week. I hope the Habs can make it out of the first round. I think we've got a decent team and arguably the best goalie in the East, if not the league. We've got a legit 1st line now, too!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

"One scenario, as yet UNCONFIRMED, is GM Mike Gillis would be fired, Linden would hire new GM and new GM would sort out future of Tortorella."

There's no doubt that Torts will be the first casualty of the end of the regular season. He was never a good fit there in the first place.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448707

Confirmation of the firing of Mike Gillis. No clearer sign that he was out then the fact that, in less than a calendar year, the Canucks have gone from Schneider and Luongo to Lack and Markstrom in net. Gillis did a simply horrific job of managing that whole situation.

Fair points Klonk, but don't tell Paul Ranger of the Leafs about turning at the last second to draw a penalty. He turned to get the puck and got shoved in head first, and laid down on the ice, pretty much motionless for 15 minutes and then got taken off on a stretcher. I can't imagine how that was worth drawing a penalty for.

I still say if one person was given a 20 game suspension, that kind of thing would start to go way down. I mean, how many quality players do that sort of thing? It's almost always unskilled tough guy/pluggers involved.

neil

WeatherWiseCDC
    Today was pretty crazy in Vancouver. The city has been abuzz all week since Mike Gillis' interview last Thursday. Most fans feel he really needed to be fired, so relief is in the air. Trevor Linden is considered a hero and an icon in Vancouver; this is quite significant. There will be a press conference tomorrow at 10:30 AM PST to announce the hiring of Trevor Linden as the team's new president.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    There's no doubt that Torts will be the first casualty of the end of the regular season. He was never a good fit there in the first place.
    I disagree that he was "never a good fit." His players struggled desperately this year, but I would not consider it his fault. The team lacks depth. The team's top players vastly underperformed; the Sedins forgot how to score and Kesler is too selfish a player to work well with his linemates.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 04-09-2014 at 04:37 AM.

whooooollllyyyy shit!!! The Habs will be the only Canadian team qualified for the play-offs...

The Leafs chocked again (but that's expected)... (and so did the Canucks and the Senators)
    Last edited by Trane; 04-09-2014 at 08:17 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    whooooollllyyyy shit!!! The Habs will be the only Canadian team qualified for the play-offs...

The Leafs chocked again (but that's expected)... (and so did the Canucks and the Senators)
    It's like a Bettman wet dream...

Bishop out ??

Rangers are in and have a good shot at a home ice addy in the first round. King H is playing some great goal and the guys seem to be gelling nicely. Anything can happen in the post season St. Louis can go on a tear) ; it's been twenty years (once in 74 overall) since our last skate around the ice whilst hoisting Lord S' hardware. Let's Go Rangers.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Bishop out ??
    Tough break for the Bolts. I'm hearing it's the same wrist he injured earlier this year. Of course as a Habs fan I can't feel TOO bad!

WeatherWiseCDC
    Today is a bright day for the Canucks and the city of Vancouver.

Not so much for Ottawa
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

I think my Maple Leafs phone app was trying to tell me something today. This is a real screen print from my phone this afternoon....

No Content.jpg

Would have been awesome if it said "discontent."

The inevitable concussion lawsuit against the NHL has been filed...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448926

Rangers clinch 2nd and home ice advantage. Let the 2nd season begin!

Anyone else watch the NCAA semi between North Dakota & Minnesota? Wow, great stuff!!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973