Thread: Buckethead in Progarchives

Buckethead in Progarchives

Just curious about this group or whatever. As an avid prog fan, I've been following the site for years and I'm consumed with admiration by the fact that they (he) are (is) at their (his) one billionth album this year. Any dope on this group/person? Wonderful, good, mediocre, bad or something into which progarchives might want to look because (he) it is using/abusing bytes in order to further an agenda, and at least in terms of the top 50 "albums" is annoying beyond belief (IMHO)? It's hard to have an opinion since the last million albums haven't received any reviews except from the author of the main review. It may have been commented in one of PA's forums but since I go there mainly for the Top 50...

Ed
    Last edited by rickmoraz; 12-11-2015 at 07:23 AM.

One guy, wears a KFC bucket on his head along with a Michael Myers (Halloween) mask. Monster guitar player. Also was the guitarist with Guns + Roses for some extended period of time.

I have a couple of his from the 90's...Colma and Monsters & Robots. Enjoyable enough stuff, but not something I reach for terribly often.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

OK, thanx for that. After your post, I went to the Wik. and I read that in 2015 he released about an album every 2.97 days. Talk about inspiration... As I mentioned, I thought there might be some agenda involved, but if a fan wants to review his 100 and some albums, live and let live...

Ed
    Last edited by rickmoraz; 12-11-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Yes, he releases his "pikes," as he calls them, weekly or more often. Their playing time tends to be EP-length: 25 to 35 minutes or so. Lots of it is shred stuff, but as John mentioned above, he is an monster guitarist with eclectic tastes and can easily do very beautiful, heartfelt acoustic work as well as some downright soulful, bluesy playing. I love Electric Tears (all guitar, no drums), Electric Sea (ditto), Colma, Captain Eo's Voyage, Heaven Is Your Home, and a few others. Those first two I usually let play on repeat when I go to sleep at night. Check out some of his YouTube videos - he's pretty amazing though quite weird.

Buckethead has collaborated with, among others:

Bill Laswell
    Bootsy Collins
    Jonas Hellborg
    Invisibl Skratch Piklz
    Axl Rose

What an odd group of compatriots!

Good player, who seemed rather revolutionary in the '90s because he was playing weird metal guitar in decidedly non-metal contexts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post

Bill Laswell
    Bootsy Collins
    Jonas Hellborg
    Invisibl Skratch Piklz
    Axl Rose

IIRC, his first-ever appearance on record was under his real name on a Henry Kaiser record from the 80s.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

You can listen to just about any of the recent Pike releases on YouTube if you're curious about the guy's music.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmoraz View Post
    Wonderful, good, mediocre, bad
    All true, based on what I've heard.

My take on him: hugely talented guy that doesn't always takes himself serious. Put out a bunch of exceptional albums and songs mixed with some horrendous stuff that I can't listed to.

I think Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) by Praxis (= Buckethead, Bootsy Collins, Bill Laswell, Bernie Worrell, Brain Mantia and friends) is a really cool album. Transmutation Live is pretty interesting as well. Haven't explored Buckethead's solo works though, because his shredding with Praxis tends to feel somewhat one-dimensional to me.

Dear Alls,

thanx a lot for your input. I humbly admit I was totally unaware of him. Certainly sounds worth checking out at the very least.

Ed

The album 'Dragons of Eden' recorded under the band name Thanatopsis is fantastic, and along with 'Population Override' (recorded as Bucketed) are probably the most traditionally "fusion" albums he's ever made. Both really great, Dragons particularly. The Praxis stuff is cool though not for the timid. The rest of his stuff ranges from acoustic to shred, from electronica to noise. His diversity and prolificness are impressive, even though it can make classifying his output a challenge.
    But by all means hear 'Dragons of Eden'. You'll be glad you did.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Octave Of The Holy Innocents.....Jonas Hellborg, Buckethead and Michael Shrieve

Beneath The Bucket, Behind The Mask: Kurt Loder Meets GNR’s Buckethead
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 12-11-2015 at 03:26 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I think Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) by Praxis (= Buckethead, Bootsy Collins, Bill Laswell, Bernie Worrell, Brain Mantia and friends) is a really cool album. Transmutation Live is pretty interesting as well. Haven't explored Buckethead's solo works though, because his shredding with Praxis tends to feel somewhat one-dimensional to me.
    Yes, Transmutation is a super trippy, cool record. Also check out Bootsy's Zillatron - Lord of the Harvest which has a lot of the same people involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    The album 'Dragons of Eden' recorded under the band name Thanatopsis is fantastic.
    Agree completely. Played a track from this on last nights' on the show..

Last week played a track from Arcana: Arc of the Testimony (1997)

Bill Laswell
    Tony Williams
    Nicky Skopelitis
    Pharaoh Sanders
    Buckethead

also his collaborations with actor Viggo Mortensen

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post

Bill Laswell
    Bootsy Collins
    Jonas Hellborg
    Invisibl Skratch Piklz
    Axl Rose

Good player, who seemed rather revolutionary in the '90s because he was playing weird metal guitar in decidedly non-metal contexts.
    Add Les Claypool to that list (Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains).

Personally, I like his stuff. I was also fortunate to see him at ProgFest in San Francisco, where it was just him, a backing track, and clips from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Godzilla movies.

there's also Bucket of Bernie Brains to check out - Les Claypool, Brain Mantia, Bernie Worrell, and Buckethead (didn't see mention of this above, but if so - dittoes
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    Add Les Claypool to that list (Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains).

Personally, I like his stuff. I was also fortunate to see him at ProgFest in San Francisco, where it was just him, a backing track, and clips from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Godzilla movies.
    d'oh!
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

There is no way this isn't cool.

When I said Neal Morse could sit on the john and write a prog-epic, well, Buckethead has him beat in spades except he doesn't write prog-epics.

Here's Crazy Train, just for the hell of it. Sort of.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000