Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A Saga Thread

I heard all those on terrestrial FM stations.

Jon Neudorf
    Just unwrapped Sagacity. Looking forward to it.

I never heard much Prog in their sound, not that that is necessarily a bad thing. I just don't get it.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I never heard much Prog in their sound, not that that is necessarily a bad thing. I just don't get it.
    Have you ever heard the tracks "Ice Nice" (from the S/T debut), "Images" (from Images at Twilight) "Don't Be Late" (from Silent Knight), the three song sequence that closes the Worlds Apart album (""No Regrets," "Conversations," and "No Stranger"), "Giant" (from The Beginner's Guide to Throwing Shapes), or "Uncle Albert's Eyes" (from Full Circle)? I think if you listened to all those in sequence, it would sound very much like a prog album, albeit perhaps more neo-prog. Of course, all their albums have songs that are much less proggy and more pop or AOR, but all of their work has a kind of proggy sheen to it, if for no other reason than the classically influenced keyboard style and Michael Sadler's operatic vocal style. All IMO, of course.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post
    Have you ever heard the tracks "Ice Nice" (from the S/T debut), "Images" (from Images at Twilight) "Don't Be Late" (from Silent Knight), the three song sequence that closes the Worlds Apart album (""No Regrets," "Conversations," and "No Stranger"), "Giant" (from The Beginner's Guide to Throwing Shapes), or "Uncle Albert's Eyes" (from Full Circle)? I think if you listened to all those in sequence, it would sound very much like a prog album, albeit perhaps more neo-prog. Of course, all their albums have songs that are much less proggy and more pop or AOR, but all of their work has a kind of proggy sheen to it, if for no other reason than the classically influenced keyboard style and Michael Sadler's operatic vocal style. All IMO, of course.
    Don't Be Late is one of my favorites, and a very bizarre song too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Would we know Brian Doerner from somewhere else?
    HELiX.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Just unwrapped Sagacity. Looking forward to it.
    It didn't know it really was an existing word. I thought it just was some wordplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    It didn't know it really was an existing word. I thought it just was some wordplay.
    It's kind of a clever title. I think they should call an album (maybe a double) Sagamore. There are several places in North America called Sagamore.

I somehow bought two copies of the Worlds Apart Revisited 2/DVD 2/CD deluxe edition (still sealed!) from eBay. My drunken mistake is your gain!! If you're a genuine Saga fan and need this, send me a PM, and I will let it go for $18 (includes postage) to the first responder (as a tribute to First Responders!).

If you're outside the US, it will cost a few extra $$ for postage.

Note: I will be able to tell if you're a genuine Saga fan or not!

gave SagaCity another listen last night and realized that it was really bad. the last 3 albums have been disappointing, and i'll pass on any future releases from Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    gave SagaCity another listen last night and realized that it was really bad. the last 3 albums have been disappointing, and i'll pass on any future releases from Saga.
    This is actually an incorrect statement. I only listened to parts of the last two and couldn't get into them on youtube at the time so didn't go back to listen. But Human Condition is actually excellent in parts. I can see why some Saga fans might like only a couple of songs, though.

To me, Human Condition doesn't sound so good - too much auto tune or whatever.

But Sagacity sounds very good! Just what I want from them.

To me, Human Condition doesn't sound so good - too much auto tune or whatever.

But Sagacity sounds very good! Just what I want from them.
    Human Condition has a harsh sound but I liked the power of the songs (Avalon being a favorite 21st century Saga song) and to me a step up from 10,000 Years where I liked about half. I forgot about Sagacity so will listen to it carefully soon.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Human Condition has a harsh sound but I liked the power of the songs (Avalon being a favorite 21st century Saga song) and to me a step up from 10,000 Years where I liked about half. I forgot about Sagacity so will listen to it carefully soon.
    Likewise, I need to give both Human Condition and 10,000 Days a more serious listen.

I've listened to Sagacity quite a bit over the last year and I've found it's definitely got some hidden treasures on it; "The Further You Go" into "On My Way" is some amazingly well worked out writing (awesome chords in "On My Way"!!!) and soloing for example.

It's also a great album for Jim Gilmour fans as I think he's writing and singing on it a bit more often than usual on "It doesn't Matter Who You Are", "Go with the Flow" (OK, this one is definitely more Sadler/rest of the band) but then "Press 9" is mainly Gilmour, and I find it quite fun/funny. The only track I don't like and find annoying is "Wake Up" and I guess "Let it Slide" isn't my favourite either but it's "ok". But overall, I'm really glad I bought Sagacity and it will be an album I come back to often as I have done so far (with the occasional track skip!)

Stuff that totally blows me away about Saga are the solos, writing (mostly strong!) vocals, and interplay between band members, so strong after all this time. I was lucky to see them play in Toronto this past weekend and it was a great time! Bummed out that they didn't play "On My Way" which would have really made the show for me, but it was still great. Opening up were the Rush-influenced and Alex-Lifeson-produced Dave Barrett Trio who also did an excellent set and showcase of musicianship focusing on the guitar playing of Dave Barrett. The bassist drummer are excellent too.

^ I like Sagacity a lot, but need to listen to it a bit more to know the individual songs as well as you seem to. Press 9 is kind of funny, but wears after a while. I think Let It Slide is a good album opener!

BTW, I'm glad you brought this thread to the top, because I wanted to ask: I finally listened to The Human Condition, and am I wrong or is the singer's voice autotuned like crazy? I think I've heard mention of this before, but I didn't know it was on the studio album. That really sounds pretty crappy, IMO, but I need to give the album a few more listens.

EDIT: I see I mentioned the auto-tuning in a post above - what do people think about that?

^ I like Sagacity a lot, but need to listen to it a bit more to know the individual songs as well as you seem to. Press 9 is kind of funny, but wears after a while. I think Let It Slide is a good album opener!

BTW, I'm glad you brought this thread to the top, because I wanted to ask: I finally listened to The Human Condition, and am I wrong or is the singer's voice autotuned like crazy? I think I've heard mention of this before, but I didn't know it was on the studio album. That really sounds pretty crappy, IMO, but I need to give the album a few more listens.

EDIT: I see I mentioned the auto-tuning in a post above - what do people think about that?
    I actually don't own "The Human Condition", but I have heard some of the songs and you could be right, it could be autotune in some spots? The singer on it (Rob Moratti) does have a much higher, yet thinner voice which always seemed a bit "fake sounding" in comparison with Sadler, so it might just be that his voice is so different? I don't know, I'll have to check it out again. I do remember liking "Avalon" and I did mean to pick the album up, but didn't for some reason. I should get around to getting it. Would be interesting to hear it now in retrospect. I'll listen to some songs on youtube later and see if I can hear what you're talking about.

BTW, I agree "Let it Slide" is a strong tune/good opener, it just bugs me a bit--isn't my fave type of thing. But not a bad tune and kind of unique too.

I bought 'The Human Condition' when it came out and really liked the heavier sound (for Saga) but wasn't fond of the vocals. I think Rob Moratti's vocals are weak on this album which is why I don't play this cd as much (I haven't played this in a long time as matter of fact). I actually like the 'Heads Or Tales: Live' cd where Moratti sounds much better. I would have liked to hear the way he sings on that live cd on 'The Human Condition'.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    "Distant Early Warning"
    "The Body Electric"
    "The Big Money"
    "Time Stand Still"
    "Show Don't Tell"
    "The Pass"
    "Dreamline"
    "Roll The Bones" — this one got played a LOT!
    "Ghost of a Chance"
    "Nobody's Hero"
    "Cold Fire"
    "Test For Echo"
    "Driven"
    "One Little Victory"
    "Far Cry"

Also: "My Favourite Headache" and "Grace To Grace" from Geddy's solo album, My Favourite Headache
    I'll play.

I've heard more than that in the New York/Philly area, but I haven't listened to much commercial/satellite radio. Also the traditional Rush playlist (and pretty much what is considered rock in general)has gotten slashed in recent years to a one CD greatest hits CD over both US labels for a while now.

I've heard every lead track to a studio and live album since 1982 (and by 1982 I mean released 1982 or after as I've heard Natural Science and others released before 1982) and about 90 percent of all promo single releases since (and that includes Where's My Thing? and Sweet Miracle). Same with Geddy and Alex's solo albums but not since those albums came out.

The Analog Kid can still be heard on WDHA from time to time and that was never released as a single.
    Presto (the song) was also played a ton on WZZO for more than a year after the album came out.

Of course Q104.3 will stick to the usual suspects Closer To The Heart, The Spirit Of Radio, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight and Subdivisions. In desperation they may pull out Distant Early Warning and The Big Money on their two-fer days.

40 years ago yesterday Saga’s debut album was released! Just saw a FB post from Michael Sadler.

I somehow bought two copies of the Worlds Apart Revisited 2/DVD 2/CD deluxe edition (still sealed!) from eBay. My drunken mistake is your gain!! If you're a genuine Saga fan and need this, send me a PM, and I will let it go for $18 (includes postage) to the first responder (as a tribute to First Responders!).

If you're outside the US, it will cost a few extra $$ for postage.

Note: I will be able to tell if you're a genuine Saga fan or not!
    This is a GREAT CD AND DVD. We just watched this about a week ago..

40 years ago yesterday Saga’s debut album was released! Just saw a FB post from Michael Sadler.
    I'm on Michael's FB page too, I bet we've crossed paths there. And now Michael has his new music media FB page.
    I discovered Saga during the World's Apart release. We lived outside Detroit but picked up stations from Windsor and I heard Wind Him Up and been a fan ever since.
    I don't think they ever regained their footing after Michael left and then rejoined.
    20/20 and especially Sagacity for me are big disappointments. I bought Sagacity on vinyl and funny story when I put it on my turntable it sounded like it was running on slow. Turns out they printed them out at 45rpm for better fidelity... uh yes, that sounds much better now.
    The last DVD (Spin it Again) they released I didn't care for either, seems like they played much of the older material faster. Mouse in a Maze was really fast to me and lost much of it's magic.

I think Saga's strongest point is their live performances, although I've never seen them live, that's the impression I get from watching the concerts.
    These guys give 150% and how they perform Wind Him Up for the millionth time and still sound like it's new and fresh is quite remarkable.
    Then there was the tour from hell when on the final leg of their tour in Europe, Jim Gilmour had a medical emergency with his eye and couldn't perform, Brian Doermer walked out before the tour was ended. Fortunately a friend of the band Hans Will and his Saga Tribute band were able to step in and help them finish the tour.
    Ian was having his own personal problems and then there was the tragic death of Jim and Penny Crichton's son Will just days before they were to depart for the Cruise to the Edge...

What a great band, and thank you Saga for many decades of wonderful music you provided to us.
    Sad to see you stop, but I think it was time. Time to spread your wings and fly as individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    This is a GREAT CD AND DVD. We just watched this about a week ago..
    Agreed, that was a great concert and it's such a nice live document of that music.

Last summer I saw Saga at Cannafest in Grand Forks BC and they sounded as fresh as they did back in the early eighties. Are they prog? or just proggy? I leave that to each individual. I interviewed Michael Sadler and Ian Crichton for my prog rock radio show (on air or terrestrial as mentioned earlier in this thread) as they called it a day after 40 years (although they did say they would finish out all their planned live dates) and you can hear the interview and music at:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/magmashark/