Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Saga Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    One is the ridiculous abundance of synths. I LOVE synths, and on their classic albums their synth sound was amazing. Someone mentioned Duke and Drama as similar-sounding, and that's right on the money - two other records I love for their epic, futuristic synth sounds. But especially on Silent Knight, they come close to the sound of the 1st UK album, although the music is quite different. But that particular sound - the monolithic sci-fi sound of the CS80, with moogs tweedling and swirling around it, gets me all the time.
    I knew they used lots of Moog on their classic albums, but I always wondered what they used for the polysynths. Anything else besides the CS80?

My favorite Saga album by far is The Chapters Live.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking that's a good starter album for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking that's a good starter album for a lot of people.
    Does anyone find their performance on the first couple of songs to be flawed? Sounds to me like there are errors and they really don't quite get their act together until chapter 3 or 4. Not complaining though, its freaking awesome that they performed the entire 16 chapters in a concert. I just wish they would have captured it on video as well as audio.

Jacob, what I love (love?) about you is how you like certain bands in spite of your best instincts. That's essentiall for maximum satisfaction. Because what the F do we know, really?
    Well, I've never had any problems with my taste and my judgment of quality inhabiting different centers of my brain. There's a lot of music I enjoy that I still know is not particularly great, and there's music that I find quantifiably great that I don't particularly enjoy. I've always been that way.

I quite enjoy the first Phenomena album, for instance, even though I know it's complete cheese. And I fully recognize Frank Zappa's immense talent, but I hardly ever feel like listening to his albums. Then there's the times when taste and quality coincide, as in Genesis, King Crimson, Magma, Free, Joni Mitchell, Wayne Shorter - thankfully that list is pretty long

One of my fav bands - although the last couple of albums have been a tad disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I got into Saga through a friend's House of Cards CD in 2004. I thought that 2001 album was about half good but inspired me to listen to Worlds Apart since I loved the hit song when 12. I have no idea why I didn't buy that album then and was floored by how good , as someone said, not only the entire album but especially the second side was.
    I've always liked Full Circle better than House of Cards. It has a slightly harder edge to it.

I'd try to find songs from other early 80s albums before and after Worlds Apart, but I didn't think they were as interesting as Worlds Apart. So I stuck with post 2000 Saga, which for me was mostly hit and miss but a big "hit." on a few songs per album. I didn't buy them in order and haven't heard Full Circle, which I just ordered.
    Did you ever listen to Heads or Tales (1983)? Revisit "The Flyer," "The Writing" and "Scratching The Surface."

I thought the reviews of Network seemed negative so went to Trust . I thought half was great, but half was all I needed. I picked up Marathon had three outstanding tracks so listened to those on tape while jogging along with my Trust jogging songs. Like Rush, I need to be in motion to listen to them - running, biking , walking...., and added three more great songs to the jogging list.
    Marathon should have been their greatest album "since" the reformation of the definitive quintet (meaning the one everyone likes the best, with Gilmour on keys and Negus on drums), but it's really underwhelming. Network's just okay, and Trust is a bit better. Not till 10,000 Days did they release an album I've come to like as much as Full Circle.

Then came 20/20, and I listened on youtube but thought it was a dud so didn't go back. The new one is tempting and seems better than 20/20 but haven't bought it.

What a great band overall despite not caring for half of their songs.
    I consider the first five albums, Saga through Heads or Tales — plus the archival release Phase One, which consists of songs and demos recorded circa 1978-79 — to be essential. Those pretty much define the band. Everything else is an extension of what's laid down on those five albums. the subsequent Behaviour and Wildest Dreams are their most commercial outings, and the lauded (but overrated) Generation 13 is a non-"Chapters" concept that never really takes off (IMO).

Their best work will always run between '78-'83. It's amazing these two songs didn't land on Images at Twilight or Silent Knight. Had they swapped out "Compromise" (from SK) for "Hangman," it would be a 5-star record. It's still my favorite, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Yes, the latter-day hard rock Saga was definitely an influence on The First Run, especially with the stop-start riffs and unison runs with synthesizer. They weren't a total copy, though, as they also drew from the more common Marillion-like neo-progressive sound. Still, much closer to Saga than Anyone's Daughter. Of German neo bands, I'd say Chandelier had more in common with the Saga sound than AD. Even early Everon took a few tips there.
    Crikey! Someone else who also knows Marathon, Chandelier & Everon! Not sure I see the Saga similarity in either of Chandelier or Everon.

Back to Saga - I always give their new studio albums a chance but only House of Cards reached the quality of their first 9 IMHO. Great band!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Crikey! Someone else who also knows Marathon, Chandelier & Everon! Not sure I see the Saga similarity in either of Chandelier or Everon.
    I remember those guys. I bought a CD (which I didn't own for long) in the late '90s. Uninspiring stuff. Didn't recognize any connection to Saga. One song bore the unfortunate title, "Ferengi Lover."

I have loved Saga since the first time I saw them on TV. 3 Keyboard Players! Wow! Sadly, my wife hated them from that same exact moment, because the first time she saw them on TV, Michael Sadler was going with the Football Pants and Knee Pads look. It skived her out.

With the exception of "Pleasure and Pain" I thoroughly enjoy all of their albums, With "Generation 13" being my favorite.

Odd, my favorite song of theirs, is arguably their least Prog. A blatant attempt to have a Pop Hit. "See them Smile". For some reason, everytime this plays on my IPOD, the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I remember those guys. I bought a CD (which I didn't own for long) in the late '90s. Uninspiring stuff. Didn't recognize any connection to Saga. One song bore the unfortunate title, "Ferengi Lover."
    Well, the influence is mostly in the guitarist's use of riffs at places, nowhere as pronounced as with Marathon, but there (Ian Crichton is often credited as the heart and soul of Saga, so his playing seems to be the thing about the Saga "sound" that gets imitated). Otherwise Chandelier were a standard second-rate Marillion clone. Uninspiring, I agree, but at least they made something they always get mentioned for with that ludicrous Star-Trek-meets-bad-cock-rock attempt. I've yet to read a single review of the Timecode album that didn't mention at least the title of the song!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I've yet to read a single review of the Timecode album that didn't mention at least the title of the song!
    To their credit, it IS the only thing about that album I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I knew they used lots of Moog on their classic albums, but I always wondered what they used for the polysynths. Anything else besides the CS80?

In an old live clip I watched recently, the main keyboardist had (2) Memory Moogs, (2) Minis, a Liberation, and there was at least one set of Taurus pedals. Endorsement deal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HUTV5hZNI

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    In an old live clip I watched recently, the main keyboardist had (2) Memory Moogs, (2) Minis, a Liberation, and there was at least one set of Taurus pedals. Endorsement deal?

No I don't think so. When they finally were offered an endorsment deal, they allready had everything.
    I think this is why they switched to another company, which offerred a good endorsement deal.

I have all those Chandelier CDs too! I actually like the first one, "Pure," quite a bit. The other two never did much for me. I'll bet you guys have the Sinister Street CDs too, right?

^I have none of 'em!

Just out of curiosity. I ain't gonna buy anything right now, can't download anything(thanks, Cox) and I don't want to Youtube a album as that mostly sucks.

I only know On The Loose and really dug that when it was played on EmptyV. Is there any sort of consensus on what album I should buy(again, it won't be now but maybe in the near future)?

I'm going to have to check out this band at some point.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Jon Neudorf
    Ten different people will give you ten different answers. Certainly can't go wrong with the first few. I also really dig House of Cards and 20/20. I thought 20/20 was a great return to form but I see I might be in the minority here.
    That said, I haven't heard a Saga album I didn't like and I've heard most.

Jon

They really are a band where I'd say start with the first and work your way forward. Or, try the first, then try Worlds Apart, and if you like them work forward from the second onward.

Jon, I'm really enjoying 20/20 too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I only know On The Loose and really dug that when it was played on EmptyV.
    Then you want the album it comes from: Worlds Apart. Also get the one right after it, Heads or Tales, because I know you'll dig "The Flyer" and other songs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I only know On The Loose and really dug that when it was played on EmptyV. Is there any sort of consensus on what album I should buy(again, it won't be now but maybe in the near future)?
    Easy -- Worlds Apart.

After that it gets more muddled. But if you like Worlds Apart the follow up Heads or Tales is very similar.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post

Either that or an addiction! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    bring back BANANAS!
    Haba haba sud sud, oda aba wat wat...Boy, that was one crappy show, wasn't it? Except, of course, for Olivia...

Now back to Ver-Saga
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I have all those Chandelier CDs too! I actually like the first one, "Pure," quite a bit. The other two never did much for me. I'll bet you guys have the Sinister Street CDs too, right?
    I actually have The Eve of Innocence, which I find inoffensive enough. Timecode is the only Chandelier album I have.

I still don't own a single album by The Beatles.

I have the 3 Chandelier CDs. Here is my rating:

Pure *** (about 50% very good stuff, like early Marillion)
    Facing Gravity ***** (a melodic prog masterpiece. Glimpse Of Home, Wash & Go are as good as it gets.
    Timecode **** (yes really, it's a grower, has a certain depressing feel to it, but I like it)

* Struggles to keep the thread on track...and fails! Sorry, I really am. *

* gets thread back on topic *

I have the SPV remastered CDs. The ones with the black surround on the cover art. Anyone noticed the terrible sound of The Flyer on Heads or Tails? Horribly tinny. Really noticeable playing this right after Silent Knight and Images at Twilight