Thread: Ted Nugent

Ted Nugent

My mental jukebox brought Fred Bear to mind a few minutes ago, so I went and checked it out. Awesome solo in there, really. But that's it, the only song I like from Ted.

Seriously, I don't know much of Ted's music but Stranglehold? Cat Scratch Fever(as Phish pointed out, it's just a rip-off of Smoke on the Water and SOTW is better) ??????

There's gotta be some cool tunes in his catalog I've never heard, I'm wondering what they are. I've pulled out Damn Yankee's - Don't Tread as that's the only cd I have of him and I'll revisit it tomorrow at work. I remember hearing Firefly on the radio - once - and wondering who the hell that was as back then songs like that didn't get played on the radio stations here. I should say barely got played as by that point Metallica had hit "mainstream" status but it was still a anomaly, at least here in Vegas.

Anyway, there you go. Besides his political crap that I couldn't care less about discussing, I know almost nothing of his music. I figured you guys could point me to some gems.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Based on what I've heard over the years, the two songs you flag up are actually the only things of his I can be doing with. Meat and potatoes stuff with not much in the way of tunes otherwise, IMHO.

Damn Yankees' big one was 'High Enough'. That really is more like you'd expect of the other members in that 'supergroup' (Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades).

How Ted ever worked with Tommy and Jack is still a mystery to me. Money is the only thing I can think of. It never seemed like Ted's type of music.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

His stuff is generally pretty basic Rock.
    The instrumental "Hibernation" from the Amboy Dukes' "Tooth, Fang, and Claw" is his best track that I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    His stuff is generally pretty basic Rock.
    Agreed, but he has some blistering guitar work and some great hard rock too.

His solo period is for heavy rock lovers, strictly. He did one indispensable album "Double Live Gonzo", two great albums (debut and "Free For All"), one mediocre "Cat Scratch Fever" and then ...nothing of any interest.

With the Amboy Dukes, I am recommending the first three albums: "The Amboy Dukes", "Journey to the Center of the Mind" and "Migration".
    Last edited by spacefreak; 12-08-2015 at 06:46 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Having grown up in Michigan, Nugent was essential listening for any budding teenager in the 70’s. For me “Double Live Gonzo” is probably his ultimate album. If you can get past his in between song rants, there is some great music on it with what was probably his best band.

The only other thing I own is “The Essential Ted Nugent” which is a 2CD anthology album that has pretty much everything you would want from him. I also have the “Nugent” album from 1982 which I always thought was a kind of underrated album.

I do not agree with his politics for the most part and get really tired of his never ending ranting, but he did do some cool music.

I also have both of the Damn Yankees albums as well. They are both just ok.

You never heard Wango Tango?

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I only have Cat Scratch, the album. I love it.

Saw Ted four times back in the day. DLG is a really great live release. I can't stand the asshole now. Yeah, I am on the polar opposite of him politically, but he just never grew up like the rest of us.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I can't stand the asshole now. Yeah, I am on the polar opposite of him politically, but he just never grew up like the rest of us.
    Betcha this thread doesn't make it to page 3, before it's closed down

DLG is a really great live release
    DLG is the only album I kept for any length of time (roughly three or four years)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Betcha this thread doesn't make it to page 3, before it's closed down
    Well, he is pretty toxic now, largely because of his own pronouncements. He decided to make them. There are other US rock stars of his persuasion that don't take the same heat.

I liked The Amboy Dukes back in the day.

I know a woman who used to go out with Ted when they were in high school. She said he was a quiet, reserved guy. What happened?

^Was he known for the political stuff in the 70s as well?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't know when it was that his mouth opened, never to close again. Certainly not in the Amboy Dukes period.

^It's an impression I have that it's only over the last decade or so that he's really gotten into that bag.

Great guitarist with a knack for writing good rock songs. I think the political thing is just a last ditch attempt to stay relevant from an egomaniac.

No. Other than he was a strong advocate of hunting. Mostly though he was super arrogant and blabbed on and on about himself. He pre-dated Yngwie Malmsteen for having the most love of himself.

I liked his first album & Free For All, and Double Live Gonzo. Hibernation and Great White Buffalo were cool tracks from the Amboy Dukes. He's the only artist that I've trashed all the his music in my collection. I don't respect him as a person and I won't waste my time revisiting his stuff.

^It's an impression I have that it's only over the last decade or so that he's really gotten into that bag.
    Pretty much ever since 9/11. Apparently, the big boy let his fears get the worst of him.

But, he's always been a scumbag in many ways. I'll leave room for others to elaborate.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't have much use for the guy other than the fact that I like Stranglehold (although half the appeal for me is probably the drummer and the singing of St. Whatshisface ), and on a certain level I like the way he makes certain types go out of their minds and get threads shut down.