Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Neil Peart Done?

Nothing is preventing the remaining two from continuing and making music and even touring together.

in case anyone missed it, here is what Geddy and Alex said in the recent XM Sirius interview. I thank all three of them for so many years of great music, outstanding performances, and inspiration in my life. Whatever they want to do is fine with me.

"Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

i would also like to add that I heard they might be calling it a day as the tour started. This prompted me to purchase a ticket to catch the show in Austin. Honestly, I went to the show expecting a not so good performance because of this announcement, their age, gripping with reality, folks. I had heard about Neil's physical issues from an interview with Alex Lifeson. But I was wrong. The one thing I could not get over is that Neil played incredibly! At age 63! He played with complete control. His playing was dynamic and expressive and he was hitting the drums hard! Try watching one of the videos of Peter Criss on his last Kiss tour. They had the compressors turned up (or were triggering samples) bc he was tapping the skins - gawd it is painful to watch.

Anyway, I'm going to wait for an official announcement as I feel like Neil has a greater love for drumming and music than he can deny. I seriously doubt we'll see a full fledged tour as the last one but I am hopeful we'll get some new studio work in the future.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Sad to see yes, but not extremely surprising considering their admitted health issues. All that being said, R40 still demonstrates they are still at or near the top of their game, Geddy's vocals aside.
    But if Peart can't play without pain, then its probably not a joy anymore to play at all, and thats no good for anyone.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I'll add my voice; it was a good run.

It would be nice to get a final album from them, but Peart's made his choice, and I wish all three of them well in their future endeavors.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

They should call Phil
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Rested and ready to....sing...

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Maybe they could call Mike Portnoy

(hides, smiling insidiously while savoring the incendiary thing he'd said)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Maybe it's just me, but if they don't tour again but make a couple more albums at least, then this isn't such a big deal. I saw them on this tour, but hadn't seen them since the Vapor Trails tour, so seeing them live wasn't nearly as big a deal for me as it was during the 80s and 90s.

This thread doesn't seem like it contains any big news.

I think Neil is truly done. I dont see him doing anything more - especially if it may entice him to tour. I think he's done. and sadly, Ged and Alex arent. I cant see them touring in lesser theaters and auditoriums. I think they're screwed. They waited 5 years for him sans Vapor Trails, but Alex and Ged are just having too good a time to hang it up. i think the franchise is at its peak and Neils just walked. I wonder how this will go when he refuses to show for any of the meetings. How long can they keep up appearances? They cant do it without Neil, but they dont have Neil on board. THis will be sad

They will get a new drummer and carry on.

Rush has always been about Alex and Geddy, with an amazing drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    They will get a new drummer and carry on.

Rush has always been about Alex and Geddy, with an amazing drummer.
    That would definitely shatter the illusion of integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    That would definitely shatter the illusion of integrity.
    No it wouldn't.

It would be the reality that two friends who have played together still want to produce new music at 62.

Fuck age.

"Rush" will be in the name but not "Rush". The odds that Geddy and Alex don't make an album together with a new drummer approach zero.

(And I'm saying this as a Peart nut and only saw them once at the end of the Roll the Bones tour)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    No it wouldn't.
    He didn't see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He didn't see what you did there.
    Oh, but I did

Alex and Geddy will make new music in 2016, with or without Peart. They will call it something other than 'Rush'. I agree without Peart, that chapter is closed.

I see the odds of that happening falling in between the slim and none categories. I don't see them being disrespectful of Neil like that. They are Canadian, after all.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

It isn't disrespectful. Two guys grew up together making music since they were 16-- 45 years. They want to continue but the drummer doesn't. OK, so get a new drummer and call it something else. It isn't that hard.

yep, “done” is a bit harsh. i find his statements somewhat tentative – however, the writing has been on the wall since that tragic late-90s period and their ensuing communal output being sporadic at best with larger-than-life concert productions and the preservation of heritage (nostalgia/anniversary tours, documentaries, RRHoF) somewhat assuming control.

my head remains eternally bowed for a career and an intellectual capacity that are second to none. if they choose to seize operations now it could not be more graceful. no “grace under pressure” puns at this point, but sincere ’thank-you’s and the utmost respect from here to willowdale.

Suspended
    There is probably only one other drummer who could fill in for Peart, and we know who that is.

But, I'd be pretty certain that the other Rush members would not countenance ending their shows with a Motown sing-along.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    yep, “done” is a bit harsh. i find his statements somewhat tentative – however, the writing has been on the wall since that tragic late-90s period and their ensuing communal output being sporadic at best with larger-than-life concert productions and the preservation of heritage (nostalgia/anniversary tours, documentaries, RRHoF) somewhat assuming control.

my head remains eternally bowed for a career and an intellectual capacity that are second to none. if they choose to seize operations now it could not be more graceful. no “grace under pressure” puns at this point, but sincere ’thank-you’s and the utmost respect from here to willowdale.
    I wish I could have said it as well as you did. Kudos.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

There have been murmurings about Rush calling it a day for some years, so it wouldn't surprise me. They would, in a sense, be going out on top- very few bands of their vintage have retained popularity for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    “Done” has an unnecessarily negative connotation. Have you any idea how insanely taxing Rush music is to a drummer? If he wants to bow out in grace, more power to him. Neil Peart has contributed so much music, if he had retired after Moving Pictures, he’d still be a hero (to me anyway).
    If Rush had retired after Moving Pictures I would be fine. I think every album got better, more interesting musically and sonically up until. When Signals came, it was not as good as their previous work. Everything since has not had the ethos that made them such a great band. They've been patchy at best ever since.

Admittedly (by Geddy), Hemispheres was their most ambitious work. Permanent Waves their most artistic. Moving Pictures was their peak where it really all came together.

There is a lot of music there to listen to and enjoy up until Moving Pictures. I feel they compromised their values after Moving Pictures as did many of the great progressive bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    There is a lot of music there to listen to and enjoy up until Moving Pictures. I feel they compromised their values after Moving Pictures as did many of the great progressive bands.
    Rush was never a "progressive band". Never. They are far better.

^ IMO, Signals is as good as Moving Pictures. I like most of the stuff they did for Atlantic. YMMV.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    ^ IMO, Signals is as good as Moving Pictures. I like most of the stuff they did for Atlantic. YMMV.
    Signals and Grace Under Pressure are my favourite Rush albums. After those it was patchier.