Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Censorship in Music?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Never understood why this one was censored - it's one of the most famous headlines ever.
    Because even 30 years later, the Chicago Tribune were still embarrassed about the "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN" headline. Or at least that's the way Neil made it sound in his essay in the Permanent Waves tour program.

I can't believe that they would censor an album cover because a newspaper was butthurt over a piece of history.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    I can't believe that they would censor an album cover because a newspaper was butthurt over a piece of history.
    Yeah, some people need to develop the ability to laugh at themselves. Just say "Yes, ha ha, we fucked that up didn't we?" and move on.

Well, they showed a trademark, so the owner of it does have some rights, even if they are thin-skinned about it. It's not like they have the same management they had in the 1950s.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    No censorship here
    Attachment 6360
    That's cool but it ain't nothing against Pungent Stench. I don't know how they got away with it, possibly by cropping the image for the cassette(like I used to have) but just scroll down this page and tell me that's not something you wish you hadn't seen. Or don't, you will be better off. There's a lot of disgusting covers in the metal genres but PS may be some of the worst I've ever seen.

http://www.truemetalhead.com/2012/12...um-covers.html

Also on that page is Ted Nugent's Love Grenade. That can't be real, can it? If so, how did that not get banned?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Suspended
    ^^ Some of those are disgusting. However I do take exception to the Manowar cover being labelled "unsexy". Admittedly I haven't seen the full uncensored cover, but if it's just genitals we are talking about, I'd say there is more than a hint of homophobia going on here. If those had been female bodies on the cover it would have been a case of "PHWOARRRR, get a load of these chicks, boys, check out those titties".

yes, There are some uglyness going on there.
    Some of them are funny though: SODOM - Til Death Do Us Unite made me laugh !

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ but if it's just genitals we are talking about, I'd say there is more than a hint of homophobia going on here.
    Well, that's a bit of a leap. So, if a guy doesn't want to see another guys wang, he's a homophobe?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

In Australia the word "Bloody" was censored out

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    In Canada they couldn't even use the Snoopy name because they hadn't yet gotten permission from Charles Schulz, so they issued a re-recorded version about a beaver named "Squeaky."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The FBI was all over this, I'm sure:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post

Really? Man, that is extreme!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    In Canada they couldn't even use the Snoopy name because they hadn't yet gotten permission from Charles Schulz, so they issued a re-recorded version about a beaver named "Squeaky."
    Wow. I did not know that. Thank you for that tasty bit of trivia...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, that's a bit of a leap. So, if a guy doesn't want to see another guys wang, he's a homophobe?
    OK, maybe not homophobia, but let's say double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The FBI was all over this, I'm sure:
    It did indeed have different artwork in the good old US of A:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

OK, maybe not homophobia, but let's say double standards.
    Or, perhaps, natural inclinations.

Suspended
    Or, perhaps, natural inclinations.
    No, double standards. If nudity is OK for one gender and not for the other, that's double standards.

No, double standards. If nudity is OK for one gender and not for the other, that's double standards.
    That's silly. My wife won't look at two women making love, but I certainly wouldn't mind. Does that make her a bearer of a double standard? No, it makes her a heterosexual.

Don't confuse different people having preferences with double standards, It's simplistic and wrong.

There could be many reasons, from inferiority complex, that you parents learned you that nudity is wrong, that you get feelings you dont like to have, to that the guys wang actually is ugly.
    In case of a picture, cover, etc. - just look away.
    The 'sender' is not responsable for the viewers feelings, in most cases you never know what they are.
    There are probably big differences between USA and Europe, and views changes over time. In the 70'ties nudity wasnt necessarily about sex, today it seems to be.

Censored by the BBC in 1976, for homosexual and drug references... By the way, the musicians were prog heavies formerly from Caravan and Riff Raff, plus sucessful producer (and singer) Rupert Hine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hchOYs_d_Bw

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But was that censorship, or was that because someone decided that it was unseemly or whatever to be appear to be giving a free plug to a product?

Same thing happened with one of the early Pink Floyd singles, I think it was Apples And Oranges where Syd mentions one of the London newspapers, I believe. So they sent him back into the studio to re-sing the one line, changing "Evening Standard" to "Daily Standard" or whatever it was.

On a similar note, they had to remove the photo of a dentist's office front window from the UK edition of A Nice Pair, because it might have been construed as advertising (which apparently is a serious breach of ethics in the UK dentistry world). And the US edition had the "nice pair" on the front cover (ie female breasts) replaced with a "nice pear" (ie the fruit).
    Well, if it was censorship -or, more likely, a fear that the BBC would not play the song because of the unwanted commercial-, the funny thing was that no censor would pay attention to the rest of the content of a song about a man falling in love with a transvestite.

This was never censored in the UK. The first line is iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    Censored by the BBC in 1976, for homosexual and drug references... By the way, the musicians were prog heavies formerly from Caravan and Riff Raff, plus sucessful producer (and singer) Rupert Hine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hchOYs_d_Bw
    The entire time I was watching it thought that was Kevin Godley on drums, but I guess not.

Credits from the first Quantum Jump album... which includes The Lone Ranger:
    Rupert Hine / lead vocals, keyboards, multilectras varium
    - John G. Perry / bass guitar, vocals
    - Trevor Morais / drums, percussion
    - Mark Warner / guitars, vocals

Guest musicians:
    - Ray Cooper / percussion
    - Morris Pert / percussion

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Did Squeaky gnaw off the Black Knight's arms and a leg, and the Knight claimed 'tis but a scratch?