Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas / Holiday Season Music - Several Threads Merged

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

I've made a few road trips with my wife the past few weekends and she insists on Christmas CDs. God, why did Chip Davis decide on such a wretched drum sound?!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is this the first time in history that we've witnessed Rothery and Mosley 'singing'?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Is this the first time in history that we've witnessed Rothery and Mosley 'singing'?
    It might be!

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Some Loreena McKennitt albums are good for this time of year:
    To drive the cold winter away
    A midwinter night's dream

And a Christmas-song from a Dutch lady

I just picked up the soundtrack to Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer 5.00 at Walmart - and its lovely. Lots of not so typical string arraignments. I really grow weary hearing the same 20-30 songs at Christmas, and this was something that although familiar, was not just the samo-samo. Its not just the Burl Ives songs, but has lots of string tangents on that music.

I also bought more Chip Davis Mannheim CD's and yep, that drum machine sound is just grotesque.

I have a song from my childhood called "The Happy Reindeer" and its a bit of a cult classic, semi-rock around the Christmas tree song, that was sort of popular for one year (1959, I think). A novelty Christmas song, how... Novel. But I cant help but listen to it at least once during Christmas. It gives me a brief window into my childhood, which seems to be a trigger mechanism for me to "enjoy" Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6LuFTKLpZM

Newer Christmas songs really do nothing for me, not sure why a guy who appreciates progressive music, would get so stuck in the past... Oh, wait....

In the late 80's I took my now wife on a date to see Mannheim Steamroller do their Christmas show.
    I don't know what embarrassed me more, the cheese coming from the stage, or the outsized expressions of Love coming from the audience.
    Never looked back.

We saw the Brian Setzer Orchestra doing their Christmas show last month. Cheesy, yes but they didn't take themselves all that serious either.
    Last night at the Kennedy Center Terrace Theater we saw 'An NPR Jazz Piano Christmas'.
    4 women pianists, Joanne Brackeen, Helen Sung, Marcia Ball, and Abelita Mateus did their takes on holiday classics.
    Really nice show, it will be broadcast at some point this season. Check it out.
    Joanne Brackeen and Helen Sung were outstanding.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I just picked up the soundtrack to Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer 5.00 at Walmart - and its lovely. Lots of not so typical string arraignments. I really grow weary hearing the same 20-30 songs at Christmas, and this was something that although familiar, was not just the samo-samo. Its not just the Burl Ives songs, but has lots of string tangents on that music.

I also bought more Chip Davis Mannheim CD's and yep, that drum machine sound is just grotesque.

I have a song from my childhood called "The Happy Reindeer" and its a bit of a cult classic, semi-rock around the Christmas tree song, that was sort of popular for one year (1959, I think). A novelty Christmas song, how... Novel. But I cant help but listen to it at least once during Christmas. It gives me a brief window into my childhood, which seems to be a trigger mechanism for me to "enjoy" Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6LuFTKLpZM

Newer Christmas songs really do nothing for me, not sure why a guy who appreciates progressive music, would get so stuck in the past... Oh, wait....
    Strange I never heard that Rudolph song before even though that would be my childhood era also. I still go back to the classic songs like Perry Como or Frank Sinatra the most I think because it reminds me the most when Christmas was magical and fun when I was a kid and my parents were still alive. I have to hear Snoopy's Christmas at least once each year.

Two of my favorite Christmas tunes come from Tull. Ian Anderson had a knack for writing socially astute Christmas carols:

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Am I the only one who likes to listen to some classic Christmas old-time radio shows at Christmas time? There are some reliable people who post a ton of stuff on Usenet at this time of year. Listening to Fibber McGee & Molly now! This stuff predates me, but I love classic radio drama/comedy thanks to my dad playing The Shadow for us when I was a kid. You can also just Google it and find lots of stuff on the Internet.

The Players' Christmas album

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

headaches.jpg

Christmas music for me.

The Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas album is a personal favorite (though, i don't actually like the cartoon).
    Merry Axemas, a wanker metal guitarist compilation, is pretty good. Especially Joe Satriani's Silent Night jam.
    Need to check out Chris Squire's Christmas album. Perhaps I'll listen to that while writing my reports this afternoon.
    Theme Time Radio Hour (with your host Bob Dylan) has some great holiday episodes and the Christmas one is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    The Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas album is a personal favorite (though, i don't actually like the cartoon).
    Wait...what??
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Panzerballett has a new Christmas CD (done in their style)

Tracks

01 White Christmas (voc) feat. Mattias 'IA' Eklundh, Jen Majura
    02 Kling, Glöckchen
    03 Little Drummer Boy

04 Es kommt bald (voc) feat. Martin Strasser

05 Last Christmas

06 Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer (voc) feat. Mattias 'IA' Eklundh

07 For Whom The Jingle Bells Toll

08 Let It Snow (voc) feat. Mike Keneally, Steffen Kummerer

Bonus

09 White Christmas (inst)

10 Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer (inst)

11 Es kommt bald (inst)

12 Let It Snow (inst)

I had a chance to see drummer Matt Wilson's Christmas Tree-o in a local club last night. We're fortunate, as he has a long-standing connection with the jazz studies department here at UNI. Anyway, a more festive, humor-filled, musical, and just plain fun experience you'll not have. They go from here to Des Moines, then to the Green Mill in Chicago and the Jazz Standard in NYC. Catch them if you can - you won't be sorry!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Theme Time Radio Hour (with your host Bob Dylan) has some great holiday episodes and the Christmas one is nice.
    Thanks, didn't know these were archived. So the Bob Dylan Fan Club is keeping these online for now?

I haven't heard it yet but Heather Findlay has a new Christmas single available here:

https://mantravega.co.uk/album/643574/horse-feathers

Has this been mentioned yet?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Somehow I'd never seen this - brilliance:

For reference:

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Eric View Post
    Panzerballett has a new Christmas CD (done in their style)

Tracks

03 Little Drummer Boy
    06 Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer (voc) feat. Mattias 'IA' Eklundh
    08 Let It Snow (voc) feat. Mike Keneally, Steffen Kummerer
    Had a listen to this on Progstreaming and it's amazing. The three tracks I've left in the original post were particularly captivating. Now, I wouldn't recommend playing this Christmas morning while opening up gifts or during Christmas dinner. But, for a Progressive take and musicality standpoint, two big thumbs up!