Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas / Holiday Season Music - Several Threads Merged

Christmas / Holiday Season Music - Several Threads Merged

Usually someone posts about favorite music this time of year. I recently found a copy of Luciano Pavarotti Holy Night CD at a thrift shop and after passing on this for years decided to pick it up. Wow! a really great collection of music sung by one of the greatest voices of our time.

Kinda went overboard last year.. increased my Xmas music collection by a good half dozen or so.. with that said the gems were Squires effort which is brilliant.. Jethro Tull's release which is also great.. California Guitar Trio release again great.. Trans Siberian I found 3 of their releases for under $2 each so I snagged them all.. They are hit or miss.. some of the stuff is amazing.. incredible musicians..

I just saw Trans Siberian Orchestra tonight and they kicked ass. About the only Christmas music I listen to.

Suspended
    Well, I always give paul kelly's "How To make Gravy" a spin around the Xmas period.

Apart from that, I don't do Xmas music as such.

Apart from Lemme Pour Y’all Some Eggnog: Bill Cosby’s XXXmas Album and Neal Morse Plays Anton LaVey: The Complete Organ Etudes for Two Fingers (ACM-616), once the fucking kids are in bed we spin this:

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I post this every year about this time and I don't think anybody else likes it, but I'm a persistent little bugger! Besides, new members join every year and maybe someone will like it someday. My musician friends generally think it's pretty awesome, but what do they know; they're mostly a bunch of jazzbos (though this isn't exactly jazz)! And I get the impression a lot of folks here don't like their Christmas tunes to be severely rearranged and messed with, but it's the only way I can listen to them. This tune always annoyed me until I heard this version:

A wonderful album.No kidding.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Love the South Park Christmas tunes.

Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I post this every year about this time and I don't think anybody else likes it, but I'm a persistent little bugger! Besides, new members join every year and maybe someone will like it someday. My musician friends generally think it's pretty awesome, but what do they know; they're mostly a bunch of jazzbos (though this isn't exactly jazz)! And I get the impression a lot of folks here don't like their Christmas tunes to be severely rearranged and messed with, but it's the only way I can listen to them. This tune always annoyed me until I heard this version:

I'll listen to that tomorrow and form an opinion. Don't want to wake the neighbours.

It would HAVE to be better than bloody Bowie doing the song.That version, along with Springsteen's rendition of Santa Claus is Coming to Town, illustrate well why rock stars should, by and large, stick to rock.

You converted me, Ernie - I went out and bought that one last year.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post

It would HAVE to be better than bloody Bowie doing the song.That version, along with Springsteen's rendition of Santa Claus is Coming to Town, illustrate well why rock stars should, by and large, stick to rock.
    Well....both are immensely popular, so I doubt they would agree with you.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    OK, since we seem to be posting clips, and I don't think I've posted this one before on PE, Here is that Paul Kelly number:

This guy is such a great storyteller. I cannot think of any song that better encapsulates the atmosphere of a traditional Australian Christmas, so different from Europe, falling as it does here right in the height of summer.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 12-07-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    You converted me, Ernie - I went out and bought that one last year.
    Well, what do you know! Moon Safari are Take 6 fans (and it's obvious in their vocal arrangements), but you may be the first person here (besides Progeezer, who was already a fan) that I've been able to convert.

They actually have three Christmas albums at this point, but that first one, "He Is Christmas" is by far their best imo.

BTW, I dug the John Fahey, Walt! Along the same lines, Tommy Emmanuel has a Christmas album; I've yet to hear it, but I have no doubts that it'd be pretty high quality. And speaking of solo guitar Christmas albums, I have Tuck Andress' (Tuck and Patti) "Hymns, Carols and Songs About Snow," which is nice. I wish he'd make more albums without his wife.

Alas the song I wanted to post, wasn't available, so I took this one, also from one of my favorite Christmas-albums, I don't only play at Christmas.

Well, I'm already a fan of a cappella music, so this wasn't a stretch for me. But a great recommendation.

To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

I post this every year about this time and I don't think anybody else likes it, but I'm a persistent little bugger!
    Hey ya l'il snot -- thanks to you, I play this every year at the charity Christmas event I DJ. After I tune my sound, I begin with a nice, short instrumental and then I go into this Take 6 track. People love it! Thanks!

There's always room for Fishbone!

The Wizards of Winter:

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I love both.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    There's always room for Fishbone!
    Indeed, but you posted the wrong song.

This is my personal favourite Xmas song:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Here are a couple of my favorites from my favorite Christmas album, Bruce Cockburn's 1993 release. While I can't understand the lyrics in either (that's actually a plus), the music is lovely. The album includes several more traditional songs, as well, though most have unique arrangements.

This is a great, happy and bouncy Christmas party track, reminds me of Santana. Natal means Christmas in English
    Last edited by Sonia_Mota; 12-08-2015 at 06:23 AM.

I've tried to like that song but as you say Ernie different strokes. I don't think it has anything to do with the vocals or the interpretation as much for me as the song itself. I just can't stand the little drummer boy sing at all. Maybe if I listened to something else on their Christmas music I'd love it. I do like the vocals a lot

I think it's a shame that in the US we've been bombarded with songs like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer and Frosty the snowman and much of the beautiful well written Christmas music around the world is ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favs are:

The JT xmas album
    British xmas pop hits from the 70s & 80s (Wizzard, Slade, Jona Lewie, Cliff, Wham, Chris de Burgh etc.)