Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas music or just music for the season

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think Tiger Moth Tales "The Depths of Winter" will be a regular Christmas listen for me. A really nice, wintery album. Like Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow in that it's wintery and seasonal more than Christmasy. Excellent prog.

"Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Anyone have any of Mr. Guaraldi's other recordings? Are they similar? Recommendations?
    Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus is a must. It contains his hit, “Cast Your Fate to the Wind.” So the story goes: animator Bill Melendez was crossing the Bay Bridge, heard that song on the radio, and decided that was the sound he needed for his upcoming Peanuts TV special. And history was made.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I like the Jethro Tull Christmas album.

I like listening to British folk rock/prog bands (Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Amazing Blondel, Pentangle etc.) on Christmas. For whatever reason, they give me that Christmas vibe without getting on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I like listening to British folk rock/prog bands (Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Amazing Blondel, Pentangle etc.) on Christmas. For whatever reason, they give me that Christmas vibe without getting on my nerves.
    Yeah, a good idea!
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

Interesting and kitsch at the same time.

I got Neal Morse.
    I got Chris Squire.
    I got Jethro Tull.

I think I'm ready!!!
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I got Neal Morse.
    I got Chris Squire.
    I got Jethro Tull.

I think I'm ready!!!
    You don’t got Bach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been visiting Mom in SW Fla for the week.
    Her favorite radio station is 2/3 Christmas music and 1/3 easy listening 'favorites'
    I have heard so many versions of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Holy Shirt.
    One of my all time least favorite holiday songs ( I find it very depressing, see the original in "Meet me in St Louis" for context " ).
    Let's just say that I have had a retail workers seasonal dose of Holiday in a week.

I am not a Grinch, we will have a Christmas/Holiday mix on at home for the remainder of the season, but I skip the seriously maudlin stuff.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    Mayonnaise on a hamburger is an Abomination.

Same here. Add Kings College Singers...Maddy Prior & the Carnival Band....Herb Alpert......Charlie Brown Christmas.
    My Annual challenge is to get all the Christmas decorations up BEFORE I get sick of the music!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

I love some Christmas music.

Some days ago I played Die Prinzen - Festplatte

Now I'm listening to Pe Werner - Ne Prise Zimt

A little bit Christmas, a little bit proggy - great keys and flute:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Interesting and kitsch at the same time.
    This holds a special place for me as I do think it is an excellent song but more importantly, I remember watching it the my parents and siblings when it originally aired. Dad was a huge Bing fan and he was always played at the house. To have one of rock's heroes sing with one of my Dad's favorites and everyone liked the song was special. I still play this song.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think Tiger Moth Tales "The Depths of Winter" will be a regular Christmas listen for me. A really nice, wintery album. Like Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow in that it's wintery and seasonal more than Christmasy. Excellent prog.

This is really good. Have to find the cd. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    This is really good. Have to find the cd. Thanks!
    Bandcamp!

I agree but have no idea why British folk conjures up Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up the new edition of the Blackmore's Night album Winter Carols. Haven't listened yet, not quite time. Another week or so!
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Check out the Christmas disc from The Players. It's a Andy MacKay/Phil Manzenara production, featuring acoustic and instrumental versions of most every xmas song in a very traditional arrangement. The only xmas disc I own, or need!

http://expressionrecords.com/blog/?page_id=27
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I have been visiting Mom in SW Fla for the week.
    Her favorite radio station is 2/3 Christmas music and 1/3 easy listening 'favorites'
    I have heard so many versions of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Holy Shirt.
    One of my all time least favorite holiday songs ( I find it very depressing, see the original in "Meet me in St Louis" for context " ).
    Let's just say that I have had a retail workers seasonal dose of Holiday in a week.

I am not a Grinch, we will have a Christmas/Holiday mix on at home for the remainder of the season, but I skip the seriously maudlin stuff.
    Fort Myers, Cape Coral or Naples?
    Prog's Not Dead

Definetely winter mode

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Fort Myers, Cape Coral or Naples?
    Sanibel. WAVV 101.1
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    Mayonnaise on a hamburger is an Abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Sanibel. WAVV 101.1
    Damn, this made want to try to tune into this station just for a laugh, and I can't. No online stream I can find, I even checked the Radio Garden website. Sniff...

My old fallback is Windham Hill's A Winter Solstice (1985). No lyrics, every composition high-quality, and winter-themed, not merely Christmas carols.

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Fats Domino did a great version of Frosty the Snowman, which is a song that I hate but his version is catchy.

Still alive and well...