Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kew. Rhone. - Greaves/Blegvad

The book is brilliant.
    It reconfirmed what a clever bugger Blegvad is.
    Like, way clever.

I had the pleasure to watch/listen to mr. Greaves last week here in Italy in a small place, almost a private event for the presentation of his latest release "Piacenza", a live album recorded in Piacenza (Italy), alone on piano. He has lost nothing of his voice and sung Kew-Rhone too, I was ecstatic, of course.

http://www.darkcompanion.com/#!dc003-john-greaves/p6d04

Banned
    Thanks for the tips on the book and the Piacenza live set. Of course those not familiar should listen to HC/SH Desperate Straits as the other surrealist musical bookend. Also Peter did a surreal comic called Leviathan for around seven years - if you google you will find the Leviathan site, there was a book of the comics which I have as well and is well worth seeking out it if still available. Great to be in the presence of those who recognize the uniqueness and value of this work...and I am very jealous Dedatolo. Cheers!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I confess: I've had this for probably 10 or 15 years and have never really been able to get into it.

I own it in vinyl, cd, and book formats. I've been in love with it since the first listening twenty years ago. Since then I've been looking for something as good as this in Greaves' solo stuff. "Songs" is great, but barely touches it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    The book is brilliant.
    It reconfirmed what a clever bugger Blegvad is.
    Like, way clever.
    He was a incredibly fun guy to have stay at the house and yack (in my case, mostly about newspaper comics of the 1920s-1940s) and he presented a uniquely tall figure to come out in his PJs and make scrambled eggs for in the morning.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Well, there's an image.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    he presented a uniquely tall figure to come out in his PJs and make scrambled eggs for in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Well, there's an image.
    That was the point!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Actually, it was all of those three. "Breadvan" in Wheaton, MD (of all places) on 9/19/1998.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

the opening line from one of PB's songs is "well, I've never been north of Schenectady but I pray one day I get to see the northern lights" (from "Northern Lights" on the album "King Strut", if I remember correctly) - it always had me wishing he would play at the club in my hometown called...you guesses it..."northern lights" - about 10 miles north of Schenectady, NY. Sadly, the club has a different name these days, so that opportunity is gone.

would love to see him perform live...bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Thanks for the tips on the book and the Piacenza live set. Of course those not familiar should listen to HC/SH Desperate Straits as the other surrealist musical bookend. Also Peter did a surreal comic called Leviathan for around seven years - if you google you will find the Leviathan site, there was a book of the comics which I have as well and is well worth seeking out it if still available. Great to be in the presence of those who recognize the uniqueness and value of this work...and I am very jealous Dedatolo. Cheers!
    I have that "The Book of Leviathan" comic book too, immensely good and intelligently entertaining ! I see it's still available at Amazon.

Ciao

I intend to play the living shit out of this album on Christmas eve, as I'll be spending it alone drinking aquavite with an old sheep whom I'll slay in the bathroom to cook up ribs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ ^ ^

You need to slay him 'palindromically'...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of the "Twenty-two Proverbs" has recently made it into the news.

A bit of background: Late last year, a political blogger at Gawker by the name of Ashley Feinberg decided to play a prank on Donald Trump. She established a Twitter account under the name of ilduce2016, and began tweeting Mussolini quotes to Trump, hoping that he would retweet them. So finally, a few days ago, he bit. And the quote Trump re-tweeted was, “It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep.”

Which is Proverb No. 17 of Kew. Rhone.'s, "Twenty-two Proverbs", attributed to motto on Italian 50 lire coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post

A bit of background: Late last year, a political blogger at Gawker by the name of Ashley Feinberg decided to play a prank on Donald Trump. She established a Twitter account under the name of ilduce2016, and began tweeting Mussolini quotes to Trump, hoping that he would retweet them. So finally, a few days ago, he bit. And the quote Trump re-tweeted was, “It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep.”

Which is Proverb No. 17 of Kew. Rhone.'s, "Twenty-two Proverbs", attributed to motto on Italian 50 lire coin.
    While Mussolini famously said this, the phrase is known to pre-date his usage of it.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I saw that.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I have been listening Kew. Rhone. lots lately as I have been writing a piece of it for my progressive music site. What a brilliant album it is! So intricate but also very accessible.

Btw. new John Greaves live album (actually 1993 concert) Passage du Nord Ouest is very good also.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Yup. Very cool album.

Classic, yes
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...