Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coldplay gets the Super Bowl halftime show

Do they even have any tunes that are quicker than a mid-tempo slog? They seem like a rather sleepy choice for such a high energy event. Muse would have been better.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Muse would be a terrific pick & no they don't have much uptempo stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just another reason for me NOT to watch the super bowl.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No, they look for really obscure acts. That's why you've never heard of them.
    Now see, I hear ABOUT Coldplay all the time, but I've never heard of Bruno Mars outside of that halftime show and the discussion surrounding it.

Another half time I'll be skipping. I'm still waiting for AC/DC to do a half time show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Do they even have any tunes that are quicker than a mid-tempo slog? They seem like a rather sleepy choice for such a high energy event. Muse would have been better.
    These guys love the 'wo wo wo' choruses now as well.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Another half time I'll be skipping. I'm still waiting for AC/DC to do a half time show.
    On a late night talk show on in Boston the other night, the topic was who'd people like to see as the halftime musical act, and they were mentioned by callers several times.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I've seen Coldplay live and they put on an energetic show. Should be a great halftime show unless of course they have to bring out a special "secret" guest, like when RHCP came out and air guitared with Bruno Mars - completely unnecessary and it was a misguided pairing. (BTW, I'm an RHCP fan and think they'd make a good half-time headliner)

I'm sure that there will be a special guest. One thing for sure, it won't be Chris Martin's ex.

These shows are timed down to the second. Springsteen said NFL employees sat at rehearsals and timed his setlist, which pretty much is not how he (or most rock performers) play.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Has to be timed. It's a commercial break and anything longer than what these halftime shows already are means the players have a harder time staying loose and ready to play.

Pepsi posted:

The rumors are true: Coldplay is our first #PepsiHalftime artist! Here's a first look at their Halftime prep.
    "First"? Is that first as in "first ever" or "more than one" for this event...?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Pepsi posted:

"First"? Is that first as in "first ever" or "more than one" for this event...?
    Well it's not Pepsi's first SB halftime show so I assume they mean first artist of several at this SB
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well it's not Pepsi's first SB halftime show so I assume they mean first artist of several at this SB
    That's what I thought but didn't know if the title "Pepsi Halftime" is the first halftime officially named that -- as opposed to "Super Bowl halftime...sponsored by Pepsi". I'm sure there will be more music artists added. I was just curious with their wording.

I'm pretty sure Pepsi's first halftime show was the first big Super Bowl event with Michael Jackson back in the early 90s.

I always mute it anyway. Now, if they got Slayer I might bother.

Coldplay's new single features Beyonce. I guess there's a potential surprise guest.

Has to be timed. It's a commercial break and anything longer than what these halftime shows already are means the players have a harder time staying loose and ready to play.
    I get that. If I had my choice, there'd be no halftime show. Just the regular period of time. But the NFL wants a big production and their need for it has gotten out of control. Well, the NFL is out of control in a dozen different ways so this really isn't a surprise.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    She's a lot nicer to look at, though.
    And that's important, isn't it? that's why we're here. Not to appreciate good music, but to discuss chicks who look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yup, I worked the half time show for a Detroit Lions Thanksgiving Day halftime show back in the late 90's (Inrique Englasias was the performer) and everything was timed down to the second due to TV.

Suspended
    Yes they do, though not very many. Square One, Speed of Sound, Viva la Vida, Life In Technicolor, Princess of China, a few others.

They also have many slower more mellow songs that would be quite unsuitable for an event such as this one. They'll need to be selective.

I love them. They put on great shows and always keep the fans happy. Anything is better than that Red Hot Chili Peppers crap-fest .

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Muse would be a terrific pick
    I'd love to see that, too, but they're just not popular-enough in the U.S.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I always mute it anyway. Now, if they got Slayer I might bother.
    Slayer is too extreme for the average football fan but Metallica would have fit the bill. Their music gets blasted in most stadiums during the games.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd love to see that, too, but they're just not popular-enough in the U.S.
    Probably not, they do sell out arena's regularly.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Metallica would have fit the bill.
    Yeah they'd be perfect. They're still a household, named band all over the world. And when a lot of their fans are people like Snoop Dog then the hip-hop/pop crowd will bang heads and throw horns for 15 minutes. Obviously they'd do Enter Sandman and a couple of other tracks from Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe Coldplay can bring along Satriani to atone for stealing his tune.
    A little screaming rock guitar in their brew wouldn't hurt.