Thread: ELP OGWT 1979 TV Special

The Enemy God

ELP OGWT 1979 TV Special

I'm wondering if anyone has a decent transfer of the above TV programme - it was on Youtube for a while but I think has been pulled. I'm especially after the first 20 minutes which is the "Memphis" section of the programme and includes a superb clip of CP's drum solo and some quick interviews. Can anyone help/send me a file?

Wasn't this on the box set ?

The Enemy God
    That was the OGWT 1973 Milan special. This relates to the Works tour.

I've always wished thetre was more of that (stunning) Memphis footage out there, yes. I'll follow this thread with interest.
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    That was the OGWT 1973 Milan special. This relates to the Works tour.
    ?? This makes no sense.

I believe he's talking about the Manticore Special from, indeed, 1973, but this was filmed mostly during the European tour of Spring 1973, not the Works tour, which was in 1977-78 (North America only).

I can never recall an OGWT special from the Works tour. They did show Pirates on a standard broacast cos i remember it, but not a full show dedicated to that tour !

Well, they did appear on TOTP around that time:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:unknown café music

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    ?? This makes no sense.

I believe he's talking about the Manticore Special from, indeed, 1973, but this was filmed mostly during the European tour of Spring 1973, not the Works tour, which was in 1977-78 (North America only).
    That's what he's saying. The Manitcore Docu from 73 was on the box set. The one he's after is the OGWT footage from the Memphis Coliseum 1977 (broadcast in 1979). It has KE9 Part 1, Tiger in a Spotlight, & Show Me The Way to Go Home (maybe another can't recall). Plus some short interviews.

Then i have also not seen this footage & unawAre of its existence! Makes me wonder why it wasn't used for the Beyond the Beginning DVD ?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    That's what he's saying.
    Not quite. Milan 1973 does not exactly equal Memphis 1977 !
    Interesting to know this exists. I'd never heard of such a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    That's what he's saying. The Manitcore Docu from 73 was on the box set. The one he's after is the OGWT footage from the Memphis Coliseum 1977 (broadcast in 1979). It has KE9 Part 1, Tiger in a Spotlight, & Show Me The Way to Go Home (maybe another can't recall). Plus some short interviews.
    I believe `Watching Over You' was the other song. The second half of the special was dedicated to Piano Concerto No.1 (3rd movement) and Pirates from the Montreal Olympic Stadium. It was transmitted in late January 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I can never recall an OGWT special from the Works tour. They did show Pirates on a standard broacast cos i remember it, but not a full show dedicated to that tour !
    Not so. It was a full on ELP special. I recall it very well as I made a cassette recording of the soundtrack as a lad. The first half of the show was from the memphis 1978 show and featured "Tiger In A Spotlight", "Show Me The Way To Go Home", "Watching Over You" and kicked off with a killer "Karn Evil 9 - 1st Impression, part ii". In between these pieces interview footage was spliced into a live version of the "Tank" drum solo. The second half of the show consisted of "Toccata Con Fouco" and "Pirates" from the Olympic Atadium in 1978.
    Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Corbie View Post
    The first half of the show was from the memphis 1978 show and featured "Tiger In A Spotlight", "Show Me The Way To Go Home", "Watching Over You" and kicked off with a killer "Karn Evil 9 - 1st Impression, part ii". In between these pieces interview footage was spliced into a live version of the "Tank" drum solo. The second half of the show consisted of "Toccata Con Fouco" and "Pirates" from the Olympic Atadium in 1978.
    That is entirely accurate. Pretty common bootleg video from the VHS era.

If it was the Manticore special it's on the boxed set but the dvd's pal so it's unplayable[for the most part]in the US.

The Enemy God
    OK just to clear this up I've dug out an old VHS player and I will watch the video tape as I recorded in 1979. The only track that has been used on the Beyond the Beginning DVD package is Watching Over You. I guess the film rights from the BBC are costly. The Welcome Back DVD also has Tiger in a Spotlight from the same gig. Pirates and Piano Concerto 3rd Movement had the official release on the Montreal Olympic Stadium DVD and video.
    The reason I mentioned it is because all the Memphis material and footage is superbly recorded and shot - the Steel kit never sounded better.

This is all I found on Youtube, just some guy pointing his computer at a TV screen for this one song. It is the footage in question, but not from the original OGWT source, this looks spliced into a more recent docu with the band commenting over it.

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    OK just to clear this up I've dug out an old VHS player and I will watch the video tape as I recorded in 1979. The only track that has been used on the Beyond the Beginning DVD package is Watching Over You. I guess the film rights from the BBC are costly. The Welcome Back DVD also has Tiger in a Spotlight from the same gig. Pirates and Piano Concerto 3rd Movement had the official release on the Montreal Olympic Stadium DVD and video.
    The reason I mentioned it is because all the Memphis material and footage is superbly recorded and shot - the Steel kit never sounded better.
    Very true. My old audio cassette copy had an annoying sound on it: My 14 year old self squawking in pleasure at the sound of the fills and the Moog patch on "Kern...."
    Goethe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    OGWT

Oh, God! We're Triumvirat

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Some of the Olympic Stadium footage is also available on an all region DVD called Emerson, Lake and Palmer C'est La Vie, released just a few years ago.
    At least there is footage, the dimwits at ABCs In Concert threw out a Triumvirat Illusions On A Double Dimple concert tape filmed in 1974. That just kills.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen