Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In Praise of Taylor Swift

In Praise of Taylor Swift

My better half and I took our 9 year old niece and a couple of her friends to Taylor Swift's concert in Sydney on the weekend. We had a couple of hours of really high quality pop music, energetically performed by a fine looking, talented, energetic star and back-ups, along with 75,000 screaming adolescent girls.

My niece, her friends and 74, 997 others sang along with every song, word for word as far as I could tell - that is when they weren't screaming. And the messages of self-esteem and pride that she gave out were ones I was really pleased Ellie and her friends heard.

I thought I'd hate the experience - I don't like crowds, loud noise ain't my thing these days and as much as we are doting uncle/aunt, we don't have kids of our own and find them a fairly mysterious species. But the energy and spirit were infectious, due in no small part to the really positive vibe Taylor put out.

And you know my advice to prog fans who despise such things. Yep - shake it off.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Suspended
    There is music I love. there is music I despise. For me, Taylor Swift is neither one nor the other.

I took my daughter to one of her concerts about 4-5 years ago and had a similar experience - I rather enjoyed it. I wore a Yes t-shirt and got a few sympathetic glances and comments from fellow parents, but the show ended up being quite entertaining. I still often proudly wear my Speak Now tour t-shirt to prog events.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    My better half and I took our 9 year old niece and a couple of her friends to Taylor Swift's concert in Sydney on the weekend. We had a couple of hours of really high quality pop music, energetically performed by a fine looking, talented, energetic star and back-ups, along with 75,000 screaming adolescent girls.

My niece, her friends and 74, 997 others sang along with every song, word for word as far as I could tell - that is when they weren't screaming. And the messages of self-esteem and pride that she gave out were ones I was really pleased Ellie and her friends heard.

I thought I'd hate the experience - I don't like crowds, loud noise ain't my thing these days and as much as we are doting uncle/aunt, we don't have kids of our own and find them a fairly mysterious species. But the energy and spirit were infectious, due in no small part to the really positive vibe Taylor put out.

And you know my advice to prog fans who despise such things. Yep - shake it off.
    About 6-7 years ago I had almost the exact reaction to you. My buddy and I took our two daughters who were then 12 or 13 and I was expecting to hate it but I thought she was great, I was really impressed.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Absolutely flat-out awful, and everything that is bad about music, IMO.

Vapid, schlocky and insipid.

I give her credit for a generally positive message, and she seems to be great with her fans and is rather charitable, but as completely untalented as they come.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

I give her credit for a generally positive message, and she seems to be great with her fans and is rather charitable, but as completely untalented as they come.
    Did you see her live?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Yes, I've found several of the apparent "soulless pre-fab artists" to be quite different live. For example, I will accept nobody's opinion about Lady Gaga unless they've seen her live (at least on video). She's an amazing, dynamic performer.

Haven't seen Swift live, but like a couple of her songs and wouldn't be averse to giving her a chance.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

What little I know about Taylor Swift, you're dead wrong.

As usual.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Did you see her live?
    I've seen her on several TV awards shows, where, to her credit, she wasn't lip-syncing. Can't sing in key to save her life.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    What little I know about Taylor Swift, you're dead wrong.

As usual.
    Well, fuck you, too!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Ryan Adams cover of her 1989 album that just came out is pretty good. Almost all of the songs are better than the originals, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcJ_...outMAUDvD4_wxX

Talentless? I think that's a bit too harsh. She is not an amazing talent, as far as singing and songwriting go. I will give her credit for noticing the marginal difference (at best) between today's pop country and mainstream pop. She has shown that she (or her publicists) can take advantage of media obsession and turn it into sensation. She has demonstrated (unwittingly, perhaps?) the ease of which one can penetrate today's pop market with material that is decent. Let's face it, the bar is very low these days.

She's not very unlike Madonna 30 years ago, when she took marginal talent and turned it into marketing genius.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Are we talking about the same Taylor Swift???

Vapid, Schlocky, insipid???....not to the ears and experiences of 10-13 year old girls. (as a comparison: at age 10, I was knee-deep in the Monkees. I evolved musically, so shall the tween girls) And as you mentioned, T.S's positive message in a world of amoral crap is a Godsend to this Grandfather of a 14 year old Grand daughter. I'll take TS over the over-sex-hyped Ariana Grande, Demi Lovato shit-heads who IN-FACT CANNOT sing worth a shit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Are we talking about the same Taylor Swift???

Vapid, Schlocky, insipid???....not to the ears and experiences of 10-13 year old girls. (as a comparison: at age 10, I was knee-deep in the Monkees. I evolved musically, so shall the tween girls) And as you mentioned, T.S's positive message in a world of amoral crap is a Godsend to this Grandfather of a 14 year old Grand daughter. I'll take TS over the over-sex-hyped Ariana Grande, Demi Lovato shit-heads who IN-FACT CANNOT sing worth a shit!!!
    But...you're using the same demographic that elevates the likes of Ariana Grande and Demi Lovato to say that Swift is different? She's the same - just isn't as sexualized (which I give her and her handlers credit for).

Taylor is OK. I've heard worse and better. For me, out of the younger artists I'll go with Paramore. My daughter hooked me on them and I've seen them live as well. Great little band.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Taylor Swift's dad is a Merrill Lynch vice-president. When her parents learned that their daughter wanted to be a singing star, they did everything they could to buy stardom for her, from singing lessons to researching everything they could about the record industry to moving to Nashville to buying shares of her first record label. Without their tremendous support, nobody would have heard of her. I heard a live tape of her before they started auto-tuning her and it was pretty awful. She's the poster child for today's manufactured superstar.

Personally, I can't stand her tunes, but who cares? Certainly not the zillions of teenage girls who idolize her. And if she's sending them positive messages, I applaud her for that, if nothing else.

I have 2 daughters. My youngest, 11.5 years, is an avid fan. When her songs come on the radio I don't run to change the channel, as opposed to Led Zeppelin...
    Last edited by Casey; 11-30-2015 at 03:35 PM.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

Personally, I can't stand her tunes, but who cares? Certainly not the zillions of teenage girls who idolize her. And if she's sending them positive messages, I applaud her for that, if nothing else.
    Ditto
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

A few years ago at MSG; Taylor informs the crowd that in chorus the only song she liked was "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor. She then finds out from her mother that she was named after James Taylor.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Ariana Grande...who IN-FACT CANNOT sing worth a shit!!!
    Seriously? Can you sing better than her? If we're talking vocals, I wouldn't lump her in with the likes of Swift and Katy Perry.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    If we're talking vocals, I wouldn't lump her in with the likes of Swift and Katy Perry.
    Agreed. I never heard of Ariana Grande before I saw her on Jimmy Fallon. They were doing vocal impressions for each other and her Whitney Houston and Christina Aquilera were spot on. I still haven't heard any of her tunes, but she proved to me in a matter of seconds that she can sing!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    She has demonstrated (unwittingly, perhaps?) the ease of which one can penetrate today's pop market with material that is decent. Let's face it, the bar is very low these days.
    Ease? If it were so easy, there would be many, many more hit makers out there.

Absolutely flat-out awful, etc, etc, etc (the usual)
    I almost ended my post with, "queuing Scott Bails in 3... 2... 1..." I knew you wouldn't let another opportunity to bash Taylor Swift go by.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Agreed. I never heard of Ariana Grande before I saw her on Jimmy Fallon. They were doing vocal impressions for each other and her Whitney Houston and Christina Aquilera were spot on. I still haven't heard any of her tunes, but she proved to me in a matter of seconds that she can sing!
    I saw that episode. She did an amazing job!

T.S's positive message in a world of amoral crap is a Godsend to this Grandfather of a 14 year old Grand daughter. I'll take TS over the over-sex-hyped Ariana Grande, Demi Lovato shit-heads who IN-FACT CANNOT sing worth a shit!!!
    Yep, that goes for this Uncle as well.

She's the poster child for today's manufactured superstar.
    Seriously, I can't think of a "superstar" who hasn't been in some sense manufactured. It goes with the territory. Come to think of it, the great majority of the 70s prog stars revered here were also the objects of image manipulation by the large companies they were signed to. There never has been and never will be a Real Person in the public sphere.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Taylor is OK. I've heard worse and better. For me, out of the younger artists I'll go with Paramore. My daughter hooked me on them and I've seen them live as well. Great little band.

Bill
    Paramore are indeed a great little band.