Thread: This is prog, well you decide

This is prog, well you decide

Suspended
    I don't know if it's prog, but it sure aint' no earworm.

I can see it now, great works of Literature played by Ron!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I can see it now, great works of Literature played by Ron!
    I was just wondering what Shakespeare, James Joyce, (or Stephen King) would sound like using this method. It's a very cool idea. It's another way to think about organizing notes. I certainly would never have thought of it. And it is a bit of an earworm, in my opinion.

Suspended
    ^^^ Well, to be honest, I regard the whole concept as wank. Choosing the notes this way is no better or worse than any other method of choosing notes in a manner independent of how they sound*. It's possible that you could then massage the note serquences in various ways and add harmonies to make something listenable, and I would even say that parts of that clip do not sound too bad, but I think you could do the same with almost any sequence of notes regardless of whether they spelled out anything.

-----------------------------------------------------

*I was nearly going to say "choosing the notes at random", but that phrase is too vague, because one needs to say HOW the random sequence is generated, and how that sequence is then used to produce a note sequence. How much repetition is enforced, and what kind of repetition? Does the choice of each note depend in some way on its predecessor, or are they completely independent? And so on. I have read a number of articles on this in places like Scientific American. It's been found, to no one's great surprise, that completely independent randomly chosen notes do not produce something that most listeners regard as musical, but with the right kind kind of correlation between each note and its successors a computer can produce something that test subjects will at least judge to be tuneful, if somewhat banal.

But aren't words also music?
    I kinda dug it. It's intrinsically Jarzombek. Was interesting to me to see that he managed to find a way to make himself, or at least his name, literally a part of his style of music.

It's nice to see someone actually reaching for something innovative. Hat's off to Ron!

I think it's pretty cool. The primary melody, from his spelled name, has a beauty of its own, at least to my sensibilities.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

novel for sure
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Penguin Cafe Orchestra used something akin to this many years ago to write 'Cage Dead'. It was tribute to John Cage written using the pattern of the notes C-A-G-E D-E-A-D which conveniently all fall into normal musical notation.

Abacab, anyone?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Great tune !

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Pretty cool, methinks.
    Chad