Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush - R40 Reconfigured - Blue-Ray

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Rush - R40 Reconfigured - Blue-Ray

So is this the same as the bigger R40 set but in a more compact size? This is the R40 video compilation, not R40 live. Seems to have got a tad confusing, hasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So is this the same as the bigger R40 set but in a more compact size? This is the R40 video compilation, not R40 live. Seems to have got a tad confusing, hasn't it?
    Not 100 percent positive, but I think some bonus footage and some art was cut, but failing that I think it's the same.

I'd also guess that at the time the R40 box was conceived, there wasn't going to be a tour and consequently no R40 live.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Not 100 percent positive, but I think some bonus footage and some art was cut, but failing that I think it's the same.

I'd also guess that at the time the R40 box was conceived, there wasn't going to be a tour and consequently no R40 live.
    I probably still don't need it at the better price point (I have all the individual releases and also "acquired" a copy of the bonus disk), but the smaller size is kind of appealing.

I probably still don't need it at the better price point (I have all the individual releases and also "acquired" a copy of the bonus disk), but the smaller size is kind of appealing.
    If you have it all already I can't see why you'd need it.

I think the only things I didn't have previously was a commercial release of the Test For Echo live tracks, the Capitol Theatre show and the remaining Laura Secord tracks (I've had bootlegs of those first two show for years now.)

It's a nicer package if you don't have it all already. I thought quite a while about it myself given my circumstances but eventually decided it was worth having most everything in one box rather than scattered around. I'd still give it a low grade on the organization aspect.

If you have it all already I can't see why you'd need it.

It's a nicer package if you don't have it all already. I thought quite a while about it myself given my circumstances but eventually decided it was worth having most everything in one box rather than scattered around.
    That is exactly why I was considering getting it. I don't have the bonus stuff on DVD either

I am not sure what you guys are discussing here. Do you mean the new Rush R40 live release that came out a few weeks ago? As far as I know, this is a brand new release which was recorded on their recent farewell tour. I bought it. It is really good, too!

Library Jon

No, they released a repackaged version of the OTHER R40 - the collection of all the live video releases. It's in a smaller format, and at a lower price. Only available from Rush.com I think:

https://www.rushbackstage.com/rushba...onfigured.html

I understand now. I bought the original Best Buy exclusive R40 big box set version of what you are talking about. It came with an entire bonus disc of extras. I think that I paid about $100 for it.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I understand now. I bought the original Best Buy exclusive R40 big box set version of what you are talking about. It came with an entire bonus disc of extras. I think that I paid about $100 for it.

Library Jon
    This has all the same video content, but it sounds like the booklet might be truncated.

This has all the same video content, but it sounds like the booklet might be truncated.
    Probably doesn't have those thick cardboard pages either.

Will a Blu Ray make Geddy's vocals sound any better?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Will a Blu Ray make Geddy's vocals sound any better?
    and make the tempos not sound so ploddingly slow?

(sorry about that, but it was inevitable with Neil's & Alex's physical ailments...
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    and make the tempos not sound so ploddingly slow?

(sorry about that, but it was inevitable with Neil's & Alex's physical ailments...
    Which are?

Which are?
    you don't want to google the *unpleasant* stuff: good for you!

Neil Peart is basically going into playing retirement(?) from all the 'wear and tear' on his body from drumming for 50+ years (shoulder/back issues, etc.)

Alex Lifeson suffers from psoriatic arthritis which (from what I've read) can be quite painful (and debilitating).

Like what their manager(?) said about them: Geddy functions like somebody ten years younger than he actually is; while Neil and Alex function like somebody 10 years older than they actually are."
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    you don't want to google the *unpleasant* stuff: good for you!

Neil Peart is basically going into playing retirement(?) from all the 'wear and tear' on his body from drumming for 50+ years (shoulder/back issues, etc.)

Alex Lifeson suffers from psoriatic arthritis which (from what I've read) can be quite painful (and debilitating).

Like what their manager(?) said about them: Geddy functions like somebody ten years younger than he actually is; while Neil and Alex function like somebody 10 years older than they actually are."
    Thanks, hadn't heard about any of that. Sounds like it's not to blame or credit for the songs on Clockwork Angels, which I think are great.

Thanks, hadn't heard about any of that. Sounds like it's not to blame or credit for the songs on Clockwork Angels, which I think are great.
    Must of the first part of the tour wasn't pretty. Rush didn't really start to get humming again until about two thirds into the tour. "Only immortal for a limited time" as it were.

I dunno. They sounded fine to me. Didn't notice any plodding tempos (and how could they be plodding - aren't most songs played with a click track?). Geddy's singing isn't what is used to be, but I don't think anyone expects it to be at this point, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I dunno. They sounded fine to me. Didn't notice any plodding tempos (and how could they be plodding - aren't most songs played with a click track?). Geddy's singing isn't what is used to be, but I don't think anyone expects it to be at this point, right?
    There was recently on a live music tracker a 3-source IEM feed recording (including Neil's) and you couldn't hear a click track on that. It's really the older numbers (of course) where the slowed down tempos were (most) apparent.

My R40 came with a flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    My R40 came with a flashlight.
    And it's a damned cool one, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No clicks. No so much plodding tempos as much as mistakes and miscues they generally don't make. But things got better later in the tour.
    I'm generally OK with Geddy's voice these days compared to some, but he should not even think of doing most of the 70's stuff now. (Especially, that encore...) But I completely get it was done for the fans that wanted to hear it again. And that was the spirit that it was done in.

Me? There are plenty of other shows to enjoy.

No clicks. No so much plodding tempos as much as mistakes and miscues they generally don't make. But things got better later in the tour.
    I'm generally OK with Geddy's voice these days compared to some, but he should not even think of doing most of the 70's stuff now. (Especially, that encore...) But I completely get it was done for the fans that wanted to hear it again. And that was the spirit that it was done in.

Me? There are plenty of other shows to enjoy.
    Philly show was great until............................................. ......................Lakeside Park

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Philly show was great until............................................. ......................Lakeside Park
    That encore nearly killed me. I'd seen some clips previously but it didn't prepare me for that.

I really get why it was done. It worked in the presentation and it was for the fans and all that, but I really felt for the guy, ya know?

I thought the next show it Newark was better, but Philly wasn't too bad overall I guess.

Does anyone have (or have you seen/fondled) both the original R40 set (the one with all the DVDs of live shows) AND the R40 Reconfigured set? According to the Rush site the Reconfigured set has only 12 pages in the book, while it looks like the original set has a lot more pages and it more a real hardcover book. I watched an unboxing video of the original set, but can't find one or any good photos of what the R40 Reconfigured set really looks like. I'm still thinking of getting the Reconfigured set but would like to know what the packaging looks like.

Does anyone have (or have you seen/fondled) both the original R40 set (the one with all the DVDs of live shows) AND the R40 Reconfigured set? According to the Rush site the Reconfigured set has only 12 pages in the book, while it looks like the original set has a lot more pages and it more a real hardcover book. I watched an unboxing video of the original set, but can't find one or any good photos of what the R40 Reconfigured set really looks like. I'm still thinking of getting the Reconfigured set but would like to know what the packaging looks like.
    JKL, only the photos stop you to buy this?? I don't think it's worth buying the original package to get more photos, go ahead and buy the new configuration and look at the photos online or wait to see if someone put the videos of that new version on YouTube, but right now i haven't seen anything.