Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rush - R40 Reconfigured - Blue-Ray

have you seen the photos of the original box-st on cygnus-x-1:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/imagedb-vid-r40.php

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    JKL, only the photos stop you to buy this?? I don't think it's worth buying the original package to get more photos, go ahead and buy the new configuration and look at the photos online or wait to see if someone put the videos of that new version on YouTube, but right now i haven't seen anything.
    Thanks for posting the photos. It's more that one set comes in a big hardcover book, the other not, and is like a better look at the newer format to see what the packaging is like. I already own all the individual DVDs, but don't have the bonus DVD, though I have a download of most of it. But for $50 the reconfigured BD set might be nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks for posting the photos. It's more that one set comes in a big hardcover book, the other not, and is like a better look at the newer format to see what the packaging is like. I already own all the individual DVDs, but don't have the bonus DVD, though I have a download of most of it. But for $50 the reconfigured BD set might be nice to have.
    Myself i wanted the Molson show that is available on You Tube and the Rio show, but there's not much positive review of the Blu-Ray transfer of the Rio which make me hesitant to buy the item separately.

Does anyone have (or have you seen/fondled) both the original R40 set (the one with all the DVDs of live shows) AND the R40 Reconfigured set? According to the Rush site the Reconfigured set has only 12 pages in the book, while it looks like the original set has a lot more pages and it more a real hardcover book. I watched an unboxing video of the original set, but can't find one or any good photos of what the R40 Reconfigured set really looks like. I'm still thinking of getting the Reconfigured set but would like to know what the packaging looks like.
    I thought the original one was nicely packaged (It better have been since I already had about 90 percent of what was included!) Kind of like a coffee table/art book.

I have no idea what the reconfiguration is other than a likely more economical design. (Maybe the same art but miniaturized like the tour programs in the Japanese Different Stages set?)

I'm sure the reissue will be fine for you.

I can't believe how long I dragged my feet on this. Now Rush's store is out of stock, and I just paid much more to get it from an Amazon seller!! Damn me!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-16-2017 at 09:40 PM.

It's available on my cable system's On Demand service...will be watching tromorrow.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Just FYI, this thread is about the R40 boxed set, which includes all the Rush videos, not just the individual R40 set. I know they made it frigggin confusing having two releases with the same name!

Yeah, pretty shortsighted titling by them. I'll let it slide since they hit most everything else out of the park.

Received this today. Will engage in a fondling session tonight.

It sucks that the actual R40 concert Blu-Ray isn't included in it!

***NEW RULE FOR ALL (ALL!) BANDS***

1. You must reissue all existing studio albums, live albums, and concert videos in three separate box sets or large digibooks.

2. Whenever you are going to release a new studio album, live album, or concert recording you MUST release it only by reissuing the respective box set or large digibook, adding the new release, with the new art, liner notes, etc. The only way fans can obtain the new release will be by purchasing the new edition. That is the only format allowed for release.

3. If you really want you can package all three categories in one box or digibook, but you'll have to reissue it adding any new release from any category. I'm just trying to cut you a break here.

This is really the only way forward. Completists will be able to keep their collection consistent, and you will know who your real fans are. And our shelves will be less cluttered, unless we keep all reissued sets.

Oh, if you don't release any new material, you must still reissue the set(s) with new remasters, mixes, and/or artwork at least every five years. Adding bonus material would be nice.

This will be strongly enforced with Klaus Schulze to set an example.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-14-2017 at 05:09 PM.

are the back up tapes lower in the mix on the blu-ray?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    are the back up tapes lower in the mix on the blu-ray?
    I haven't even opened it yet, but which video are you referring to and what do you mean by the backup tapes? Tapes of extra Geddy vocals and such?

BTW, when the hell are they going to release a Blu-Ray version of Rush Replay X3 ? I've been praying for it every day, and fully expecting it.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    BTW, when the hell are they going to release a Blu-Ray version of Rush Replay X3 ? I've been praying for it every day, and fully expecting it.
    Only if they put "Lock and Key" back on "A Show of Hands." It was previously only on the LaserDisc.

It would be even better if they gave us the full shows from the Moving Pictures and p/g tours, instead of the abbreviated versions on the VHS/DVD.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Only if they put "Lock and Key" back on "A Show of Hands." It was previously only on the LaserDisc.

It would be even better if they gave us the full shows from the Moving Pictures and p/g tours, instead of the abbreviated versions on the VHS/DVD.
    Yeah, what was the reason for leaving Lock and Key off the DVD? They wanted to ensure continued sales of the LaserDisc?

Lock And Key was a song i was hoping Rush would bring back in their recent shows, but didn't.
    hopefully if Alex & Geddy do some project, it would be a good track to revisit.
    it's almost 30 years since HYF came out.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    it's almost 30 years since HYF came out.
    Yeah, 30 years on Sept 8.

I'm guessing that the removal of "Lock and Key" from the VHS and DVD was related to running time. I still find it odd that "Time Stand Still" was not included on the CD or the video. That was a big radio song at the time (and a crappy video ). A full HYF show would be great too...

“The Big Money”
    “Subdivisions”
    “Limelight”
    “Marathon”
    “Turn the Page”
    “Prime Mover”
    “Manhattan Project”
    “Closer to the Heart”
    “Red Sector A”
    “Force Ten”
    “Time Stand Still”
    “Distant Early Warning”
    “Lock and Key”
    “Mission”
    “Territories”
    “YYZ”
    “The Rhythm Method” (Drum Solo) (into an excerpt of “Red Lenses”)
    “The Spirit of Radio”
    “Tom Sawyer”

ENCORE
    “2112: Overture/The Temples of Syrinx”
    “La Villa Strangiato”
    “In the Mood”
    Chad

I can believe how long I dragged my feet on this. Now Rush's store is out of stock, and I just paid much more to get it from an Amazon seller!! Damn me!
    You REALLY didn't want to over pay for this release if you have 90 percent of it already. The Test For Echo footage and a few bonus songs such as Lock And Key were the only attraction for me.
    There wasn't supposed to be an R40 tour so this was planned as a commemorative release.

I'm expecting some kind of archival release in time for the holidays myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    You REALLY didn't want to over pay for this release if you have 90 percent of it already. The Test For Echo footage and a few bonus songs such as Lock And Key were the only attraction for me.
    There wasn't supposed to be an R40 tour so this was planned as a commemorative release.

I'm expecting some kind of archival release in time for the holidays myself.
    I did have everything but the bonus material, but it was all in DVD, not Blu-Ray (not that that's so important), and it's nice to have it all in one package. That was the main draw for me.

I did have everything but the bonus material, but it was all in DVD, not Blu-Ray (not that that's so important), and it's nice to have it all in one package. That was the main draw for me.
    Still can't figure out if it's intentional (may very well be) but within the last 15 years or so they release a partial version of something before releasing the full set years later. (R30, Laura Secord show, Capitol Theatre show are three that come to mind.)

I guess I'd feel better about having it all in one place if I didn't have a lot of it in a different place already. But yeah. It's the perfect way to catch up if you don't have it already.