Thread: John Beck Breaks Hand and Arm; Fish Cancels Dutch Shows

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

John Beck Breaks Hand and Arm; Fish Cancels Dutch Shows

Hopefully Beck will heal quickly and completely. Also wanted to share this in case any Dutch Fish fans here miss Fish's update:

--------------------------

It's with deep regret and sadness that I have to announce that the 3 Dutch shows in Groningen, Tilburg and Amsterdam have to be rescheduled after John Beck our keyboard player broke his arm after tripping and falling over outside our hotel last night.

He has badly fractured his right arm at the elbow as well as fracturing a major bone in his right hand. The hand injury is serious and may have long term implications. His arm is in a cast for 6 weeks and he has been told the hand may take a further 6 weeks to properly heal.

The UK tour will go ahead with Tony Turrell taking over on keyboards. Tony already knows the set apart from 'Feast of Consequences' and 'Pipeline' having played in the band line up during the 'Return to Childhood ' tour. He is a highly capable player and we are both supremely confident that we will have the set together and rehearsed by the Bristol 02 Academy show in 6 days time.

The 3 Dutch shows are being rescheduled for April and I will be able to announce the new dates later today.

I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused and appreciate that these gigs have been hugely anticipated by a lot of people some of whom have made special travel arrangements to attend.

This unforeseen accident has totally taken the wind out of our sails just as we had regained momentum over the last 8 shows and about to play 3 completely sold out Dutch gigs on the way back home to a sold out UK tour.

I am indebted to Tony Turrell who has stepped in at extremely short notice and without whom I could have been staring at a far bigger problem. The UK tour is unaffected and all dates will go ahead as scheduled.

John is obviously despondent about his injury which has ruled out any playing for the foreseeable future and we all wish him well in his long recovery and hope that there are no long term implications.

sincerely

Fish

Oh, this is terrible. I wish him a quick, speedy recovery.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Wow. That's really sad.

If this is the same John Beck as the It Bites JB, then it is indeed really sad. I had a nice chat with him at the hotel in Pittsburgh (3RP) one night and I shared some...with him. Funny and charming man. I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If this is the same John Beck as the It Bites JB, then it is indeed really sad. I had a nice chat with him at the hotel in Pittsburgh (3RP) one night and I shared some...with him. Funny and charming man. I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.
    Was thinking the same thing myself.

I was at the 3RP show when It Bites played there, and I got to talk to John Beck for a few minutes outside the venue afterward. Like you said, very charming and funny. He was very gracious in fielding my inane questions and attempts at conversation, and even let me snap a picture with him. Here's hoping him as fast a recovery as possible, and that there won't be any long-lasting repercussions.

It is the very same Jon Beck as John Mitchell posted about his mate's injury in FB yesterday, sounds like a nasty break, hope he's recovered soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad. I had been looking forward to this, now have to wait till April (dates not announced yet). I hope John recovers quickly and completely.

I too was at 3RP in Pittsburgh for It Bites. John (and the whole band) did a fantastic set. They had all pistons firing for that show. Godspeed John.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Fish has rescheduled the Dutch shows already:
    -------------------------
    Thanks for all of the words of support for John Beck after we had to cancel the Dutch dates. We've worked hard to arrange new dates quickly for the fans and have them all set down:

19th April - Melkweg
    20th April - Tilburg 013
    22nd April - Oosterpoort Groningen
    All the tickets that have been purchased are still valid. We've updated the Live Fish page to show the new dates. As mentioned before, Tony Turrel will be joining us on the UK leg of the tour which will go ahead as planned.

Thanks again to the fans for your understanding and support!

I've seen the band some 10 days ago and was myself wondering if this was THE John Beck. ;-)
    All in all, it was a bit of an underwhelming show but I was glad to see Fish once again doing the whole of Misplaced Childhood (which was once my favourite album and one of THE trademark albums of my youth). It was only my second (or maybe third) time seeing the man live, and I think I won't go seeing him again. But I'll go see his ex-bandmates any day if they come near...

Wishing a good recovery to John Beck, anyway!

Orcopian
    In addition to the rescheduled Dutch dates there are some more uk dates added next year as well. I was delighted to see a Sunday night gig at bilston (easy drive up the m6 compared to midweek) which looks like the final show, have already ordered a ticket. I really enjoyed the feast tour last year, that was the first time I'd seen fish since I saw him on his first solo tour in the late 80's. I figured that would be it for me so really pleased to have another chance to see the big guy, especially with him doing misplaced childhood, it will be a really nostalgic night. He has been getting great reviews on the recent tour as well as lots of sold out shows. I can't believe just over a year ago I saw him playing to about 200 people in the Cardiff globe.

It's real bad news for John beck, seems he won't be recovered in time for the dates next year so I think Tony Turell will continue to play keys. really hope John makes a full recovery he is such a talented guy.