Thread: New Bryan Ferry album, "Avonmore"

New Bryan Ferry album, "Avonmore"

This one seemed to sneak in under the radar. Released a week ago, no mention here (?). http://www.bryanferry.com/driving-me-wild/

**His 14th solo album, ‘Avonmore’ features eight new Ferry compositions plus Ferry’s cinematic interpretation of Sondheim’s ‘Send In The Clowns’. Produced by Ferry and Rhett Davies in Ferry’s London studio, the album was mixed by Craig Silvey (Arcade Fire/Paolo Nutini) and features performances throughout the album by many of Ferry’s long-term musical partners including Nile Rodgers, Johnny Marr and Marcus Miller.**

Loving what I've heard. A return to form it seems. So far a few live shows have been announced for the U.K. in April.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I've had this one for months - it's certainly not a new release.

I thought it was good but broke no new ground.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I've had this one for months - it's certainly not a new release.

I thought it was good but broke no new ground.
    Missed this somehow. Video I posted is new; coinciding with the Avonmore special edition release.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It came out a little over a year ago.

Some of the material goes back 25 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9JW-NsXzPM

Innaresting. Sounds like the years and ciggies are catching up with his voice a little.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Innaresting. Sounds like the years and ciggies are catching up with his voice a little.
    From what I've read, he gave 'em up in the late '80s.
    (That's the decade, not his age.)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    His Send in the Clowns is pretty cool! Sondheim is open to interesting interpretations of his work - he allowed a prog metal version of Sweeney Todd a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It came out a little over a year ago.
    Yes, my bad...saw this on his website **Monday November 17th sees the release of Avonmore, the new studio album from Bryan Ferry. After his beguiling detour into The Jazz Age and a significant contribution to Bazz Luhrmann’s hit film of The Great Gatsby, Ferry returns to the present day with a compelling collection of eight brand new compositions and two intriguing covers** and thought it was a week ago, not a year ago. Have most of his output but was put off by the '20s jazz release. Lots of new tour dates for Europe announced nearly a year off.

Bugger, bought tickets for Perth as a Christmas present for me and Lady H only to find she's got something else booked for that date...

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Bugger, bought tickets for Perth as a Christmas present for me and Lady H only to find she's got something else booked for that date...
    We had tickets to see him in Boston last year and found that the show was canceled when we were about 3 blocks away from where we were going to park.