Thread: FEATURED CD - Arlo Guthrie : Alice's Restaurant

FEATURED CD - Arlo Guthrie : Alice's Restaurant

Not prog - but for the Americans among us - a Thanksgiving gift. (You're welcome ). per Allmusic:
    Although he'd been a fixture on the East Coast folk circuit for several years, Arlo Guthrie did not release his debut album until mid-1967. A majority of the attention directed at Alice's Restaurant focuses on the epic 18-plus-minute title track, which sprawled over the entire A-side of the long-player. However, it is the other half-dozen Guthrie compositions that provide an insight into his uniformly outstanding, yet astoundingly overlooked, early sides on Warner Bros. Although arguably not 100 percent factual, "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" -- which was recorded in front of a live audience -- is rooted in a series of real incidents. This decidedly anti-establishment saga of garbage dumps closed on Thanksgiving, good ol' Officer Obie, as well as Guthrie's experiences with the draft succeeds not only because of the unusual and outlandish situations that the hero finds himself in; it is also his underdog point of view and sardonic delivery that maximize the effect in the retelling. In terms of artistic merit, the studio side is an equally endowed effort containing six decidedly more traditional folk-rock compositions. Among the standouts are the haunting "Chilling of the Evening," which is given an arrangement perhaps more aptly suited to a Jimmy Webb/Glen Campbell collaboration. There is a somewhat dated charm in "Ring-Around-a-Rosy Rag," a sly, uptempo, and hippie-friendly bit of jug band nostalgia. "I'm Going Home" is an underrated minor-chord masterpiece that is not only reminiscent of Roger McGuinn's "Ballad of Easy Rider," but also spotlights a more sensitive and intricate nature to Guthrie's craftsmanship. Also worth mentioning is the first installment of "The Motorcycle Song" -- which was updated and discussed further on the live self-titled follow-up release Arlo (1968) -- notable for the extended discourse on the "significance of the pickle."
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/alices...t-mw0000192979

Regards,

Duncan

A Thanksgiving tradition in my house!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Love this album, even as an Englishman it was seen as pure fun amongst my friends. Saw him live about a decade ago, the whole Alice's Restaurant was done done word perfect.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    A Thanksgiving tradition in my house!
    Yep, ours too.

I've only heard the t:t a few times... But I have heard Booz's version a few (couple)more times , though I never owned acopy.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...aurant_dalice/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One of the best 60's Vietnam War protest songs along with I Ain't Marching Anymore By Phil Ochs and I-Feel-Like- I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag by Country Joe and The Fish.

PBS will be airing an on stage performance for the 50th anniversary tomorrow. Don't miss it

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365615879/

"....And he took twenty-seven 8 X 10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was, to be used in evidence against us.... "

In the movie, "Officer Obie" was played by the real life Officer William Obanhein. He wasn't an actor at all, which explains why he didn't get very many lines. He also appeared in several Norman Rockwell paintings - Rockwell was a resident of Stockbridge, and frequently used local citizens as models for his Saturday Evening Post covers.

He also did a remake of the entire album in the '90s, with an amusing update to the "Massacree":

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    One of the best 60's Vietnam War protest songs along with I Ain't Marching Anymore By Phil Ochs and I-Feel-Like- I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag by Country Joe and The Fish.
    All complete classics, though obviously very different from each other. Another thing they had in common was the fact that somehow those protest/anti-war tunes tended to overshadow their erstwhile VERY strong remaining stuff; Ochs - at his best - was a bonafide songwriter genius, CJ&tF were an awesome acid rock group (first two albums especially) and side 2 of Alice's Restaurant actually has some magnificent songs on it.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Oh that's right. Because there's a 17 minute long song on here it must be prog.

An interesting side-note is that I once met a woman who claimed she was Arlo Guthrie's girlfriend at the time of the recording and co-wrote "Alice's Restaurant." I have no idea if she was telling the truth or not. However, the fact remains that she is not credited as co-writer on that song. That could be for publishing or copyright reasons for all I know though.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 11-26-2015 at 12:52 PM.

It has been the tradition to play it at Mid-day on a bunch of radio stations for a few years now... more added each year.
    Who really gives a shoot about a genre when it is plain good patriotic listening, even for a Brit patriot.
    Thanks for the thread Duncan.
    Happy Thanksgetting everyone... Gobble gobble.

I don't want a pickle
    Just wanna ride my motor-sickle.
    And I don't wanna die --
    Just wanna ride my motor...cy...cle.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Suspended
    I think my favourite part of the title song is where he is seated on the bench wilth all the mother-rapers, father-stabbers... father-rapers even. When they learn that he was arrested for littering, they all move away from him.

My brother had this album when we were kids. Since I was too young to have my own record collection I had to make the best of it with whatever records my mom and older brother had. I remember this album mixed in among those early Grateful Dead, and Johnny Mathis albums. Besides the title track all I remember was (and I don't remember the titles of the songs) "well I wanna ride on my motor sickle" and "comin' into Loss Anja Leez." I remember playing this album a lot as a kid, but once I reached 12-13 I started buying my own shit, and it didn't include folk/rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Oh that's right. Because there's a 17 minute long song on here it must be prog.
    What classic Genesis song title is mentioned in the monologue? (Not looking for a one-word title like "It" or "Anyway.")

Absolute classic !

And only played by your favorite underground FM station back in the day.

Never heard this on the radio. Las Vegas is a anomaly in America though.

I've only heard it twice, about ten years ago. So I'm not really familiar with it. Why is it played on Thanksgiving?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Why is it played on Thanksgiving?
    Because it's an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner that sets the whole story in motion.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    What classic Genesis song title is mentioned in the monologue? (Not looking for a one-word title like "It" or "Anyway.")
    Supper's Ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    PBS will be airing an on stage performance for the 50th anniversary tomorrow. Don't miss it

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365615879/
    I luckily stumbled on that last night!

My sister and I would listen to it on the radio in the early 70s on Thanksgiving afternoon.

It was tradition!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    PBS will be airing an on stage performance for the 50th anniversary tomorrow.
    If it was released in 1967, how can it be the 50th anniversary?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    If it was released in 1967, how can it be the 50th anniversary?
    It's the 50th anniversary of the incident commemorated in the song.

German version

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Because it's an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner that sets the whole story in motion.
    Thanks. Figured it had to be something like that but it's been so long I barely remember anything in the song.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000