Thread: Tom Brislin - Hurry Up And Smell The Roses

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Tom Brislin - Hurry Up And Smell The Roses

I was really surprised by Tom Brislin's new album, now featured at Progstreaming. Reminds me of Jason Hart's I And Thou-album, though poppier. Really nice album, excellent produced. His voice is really good too. Here's a clip:

The entire album's up at his Bandcamp. http://tombrislin.bandcamp.com/

Anyone else as surprised or delighted as me?

It is testament to the quality of releases last year that this actually didn't make my top 10. Fabulous record that maes proud to have been part of as a Kickstarter.

Old man of prog
    It reminded me of "I and Thou" as well.

I was just thinking (before I read this thread), as I feverishly ripped some CD tracks, how much I like Spiraling.
    Such a missed opportunity that Yes did not exploit this guy as a writer/vocalist.
    Maybe he would have turned them down anyway after having worked with them?
    Looking forward to getting this album and while I am not surprised, I am certainly delighted!!

Though his site says only through 12/28, you can still get the free album and lyrics download with purchase of his CD.

Tom

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Glad more of you discovered this album.

Got this late but it easily tied for the number TWO spot in my personal list for 2012 with D97's The Trouble With Machines.

I think it's Tom's best record so far....

I just discovered this by chance on progstreaming and by the first listen of it, I like it very much. Very melodic, much piano. Reminds me a bit of Ben Folds, but it's unique enough. Will probably buy it.

Finally got around to writing a review...

As a child discovering the wonders of music, it wasn’t the skill of the players that enthralled me, nor the clever message in the words of their songs. It was the power in the combination of notes to completely transform and transport me emotionally to a different place on the inside that would change how I viewed everything around me. This irresistible force so fascinated, invited and, at times, even frightened me that I was hooked for life, and a life of marvelous adventure where anything could happen.
    In the current world of compartmentalized and compressed sounds for sale, tailored to swiftly manipulate the shallowest of reactions long enough to elicit a click on the Buy button, where do I find new journeys to undertake in the deep wells of my complex emotions and childhood dreams some 50 years later? One place is in the new record by Tom Brislin called Hurry Up And Smell The Roses. If it is true that a real artist is both completely representative of his time and able to point the way forward, Tom displays an undeniable resonance with the confused pitfalls of modern life while valiantly fighting to gain victory over them and manages to inspire me in his quest for life.
    Initially this album seemed like superior quality piano-based rock, eleven songs that succeeded to varying degrees in moving me with at least two truly memorable standout tracks that made me glad I bought it. But the other songs all had something… an intangible draw that kept making me want to hear them once more to see what was pulling me back. For those of you who unfamiliar with the term, this is what’s meant by “a hook.” With each repeated listening I uncovered more depths in the melodies, accompaniment and arrangements, particularly in the measured and barely perceptible guest appearances, and I started to feel like the day I found the enchantment of music for the first time.
    I now find inspiration to face adversity, both external and internal, in these uncanny and deceptively simple songs. I also marvel at how what I thought were such sparse and straightforward recordings are latticeworks of intricate sonic support. From the uplifting yet misty nostalgia of “Your Favorite Day” and the melancholic electric barbituate of “Industry In The Distance” to the glorious transcendent rush of “Liftoff”, Tom Brislin has given me a gift I will treasure for the rest of my days. One for the ages.