Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adele "25" Has Biggest Sales Week in History

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Adele "25" Has Biggest Sales Week in History

Does this mean she's the most popular musical artist has been at a specific time? Does she sing original songs, or covers? I know nothing about her other than how successful she is, as I've never heard her, but I find this kind of depressing regardless.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...ales/76284154/

Actually, I see it's since 1991 when they started tracking sales with Soundscan, so the headline is a bit of an overstatement, unless they know she's beat the Beatles, Sinatra, whoever held the record previously.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-24-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Because your first locked thread wasn't enough?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Because your first locked thread wasn't enough?
    I should have started the first thread like this one - because I didn't, Poisoned Youth locked it. So I started this one in a way that would encourage discussion. If you're not interested, that's fine.

Skip the Ambien! Buy Adele!

My guess is that the moderators want threads that have some kind of value and aren't pointless. This thread at least encourages a discussion. Unless this turs into a political rant or gets heated I see no reason this thread would get closed.

Anyway, I think she's an ok singer. I won't say she's horrible. However, I can't say does much for me since I don't care that much for her voice(or her appearance for that matter)but I guess enough people like her for her to be as popular as she is.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I should have started the first thread like this one - because I didn't, Poisoned Youth locked it. So I started this one in a way that would encourage discussion.
    I'm sure it will be intellectually stimulating.

I'm guessing even though the we don't have the numbers for The Beatles, etc., it's very possible that this Adele album set the record for the first week in sales. When you consider that people can now download their purchase and that she appeals to a younger female demographic, purchasing the album for $8.99 on iTunes is convenient and fast.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm not into popular music but Adele is the exception to all the rules---there was a whole article I read recently that she sounds nothing like what pop hits sound like right now---yet she is over the top popular---from my 11 year old niece to her prog fan uncle. Her voice is beautiful and her orchestrations are perfect---I just ordered the CD but the last one had powerful songs with changing moods and remind me of some of the great pop songs of the 60's or 70's. One can't listen to Gentle Giant all the time.

She beat the previous record holders, NSYNC, so that should tell you something about the record. But, seriously, I think record-buying habits have changed dramatically from the time of the Beatles, Sinatra, etc. Was there any disposable income for music fans in the '50s and '60s, where they could spend ample amount of money on records? Let's also remember that the '50s-'60s were more about singles than albums, so I bet Adele's figures far surpassed those of the Beatles, Sinatra, the Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc., over a week's time.

That said, I think Adele is one of the most talented singers of the new Millennium. She at least sings and is not auto-tuned to death.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

It's all a matter of context and perspective, really. The Beatles' 1, a collection of their hit singles that had already been repackaged a ridiculous amount of times, was released in 2000, and sold over 31 million copies, thirty years after the band broke up. It continues to sell about a 1000 copies a week.

So, let's talk about Adele 30 years from now, god willing.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I started this one in a way that would encourage discussion.
    Seems more like yet another way for you to say, "look at this cultural phenomenon of which I am completely unaware!"

I find this kind of depressing regardless.
    Why is it depressing? How could you be depressed when you know nothing about her?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    One can't listen to Gentle Giant all the time.
    You'll understand if I give it a try anyway . . . . . . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I think Adele is extremely talented as both a vocalist and songwriter and that her new album is excellent. Someone posted the isolated vocal track from one of her SNL performances and you can hear what a gifted vocalist she is...powerful, clear and distinctive with no tomfoolery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post

That said, I think Adele is one of the most talented singers of the new Millennium. She at least sings and is not auto-tuned to death.
    Absolutely. She's a real talent as a singer. I have minimal interest in her actual music, but she can at least sing. She is also dominant when it comes to album sales. She sold over 5 million of her 2008 debut album and over 30 million on her second album, in 2011. These numbers, in the current era of drastically shrinking sales, are historically significant.

Really great pop music like the Beatles or now Adele is rare today but still valid music. Adele will be here for the long haul---if she wants to be. She's not someone who needs the spotlight (like Beyonce) and enjoys her family and it's been 5 years since she released a new album. She'll be a great British female singer forever in the vein of Dusty Springfield, Petula Clark, Shirley Bassey---if she wants a career or just doesn't disappear into the British countryside.

Not my music (although I did like her Skyfall theme- it was nice to have a Bond song which had a tune again!), but the continuing success of Adele does prove beyond doubt that the mega-success can still be done.

In the case of Frank Sinatra mentioned above, I think you'd be surprised to note how many Number 1 singles and albums he actually had- that is to say, not as many as you'd think. His was a catalogue that kept selling steadily rather than big, concentrated sales in one period. To be honest I think the latter is much more effective in the long run. The industry does now tend to push for front-loaded sales aimed at just charting high on first release week.

As an example of the latter trend, I post this list of the biggest selling UK albums over the past 15 years. Notice a boy band who is in the media a lot missing from this list altogether??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

Seems more like yet another way for you to say, "look at this cultural phenomenon of which I am completely unaware!"

Why is it depressing? How could you be depressed when you know nothing about her?
    Not to mention that it wouldn't have been difficult to enlighten yourself, Jed, by searching for any Adele song on YouTube to at least know SOMETHING about her before starting this thread. There is no reason to not have heard ANY music of ANY artist these days.

And a perusal of her Wikipedia page would have answered your second question.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    She beat the previous record holders, NSYNC, so that should tell you something about the record. But, seriously, I think record-buying habits have changed dramatically from the time of the Beatles, Sinatra, etc. Was there any disposable income for music fans in the '50s and '60s, where they could spend ample amount of money on records? Let's also remember that the '50s-'60s were more about singles than albums, so I bet Adele's figures far surpassed those of the Beatles, Sinatra, the Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc., over a week's time.

I will give Adele more talent than NSYNC, so cool!

It's always problematic to compare older sales records of acts to newer ones for that reason. Ready availability of the material, households with stereos, disposable income and inflation always come into play.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Really great pop music like the Beatles or now Adele is rare today but still valid music. Adele will be here for the long haul---if she wants to be. She's not someone who needs the spotlight (like Beyonce) and enjoys her family and it's been 5 years since she released a new album. She'll be a great British female singer forever in the vein of Dusty Springfield, Petula Clark, Shirley Bassey---if she wants a career or just doesn't disappear into the British countryside.
    she will go down as legendary. I am not a fan, but I don't hate her either. I think she is played to death though.

Not to mention that it wouldn't have been difficult to enlighten yourself, Jed, by searching for any Adele song on YouTube to at least know SOMETHING about her before starting this thread. There is no reason to not have heard ANY music of ANY artist these days.

And a perusal of her Wikipedia page would have answered your second question.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Ok, I'll admit it: I started this thread so that I could read your opinion of the thread.

>>although I did like her Skyfall theme

D'oh! I guess I did hear her, once or twice. Can't really remember what she sounded like though, and I'm guessing that's not really representative.

See, Scott Bails refers to her as a "cultural phenomenon," which I guess she is. I don't know, I do find it sort of depressing that there can be a "cultural phenomenon" that can so easily be completely un-experienced by people. I do remember the first (and possibly only) time I heard that Skyfall theme - it was in a Mobil station.

I didn't know she was on SNL. I just think it's weird that it seems to take so little to launch a career like she's obviously having. Who was that guy that was also launched from a reality show, that singer who people LOVED for a few years? I can't even remember his name. But it does seem like Adele is sticking around. I also think it's kind of weird that she's always had just one name. Did she use a last name when she was on the reality show?

I am not sure how anyone can miss an Adele song, frankly. I have actively tried to avoid her music to no success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suspended
    I should have started the first thread like this one - because I didn't, Poisoned Youth locked it. So I started this one in a way that would encourage discussion. If you're not interested, that's fine.
    ...which, as you say, is what you should have done in the first place.

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand; the best i will say for Adele is that she sings reasonably competently, and apparently does so without the aid of Autotune. Her songs, while not rubbish, are hardly mind-blowing. The fact that she is top of everyone's charts says more about the state of today's pop music than it does about her.

She is "special" only when compared to the likes of Carly Rae Jepson, Ke$$$$$$$ha, Kelly friggin' Clarkson, or Kylie Minogue. She does not hold a candle to the likes of Dusty Springfield, Cilla Black, Carly Simon, Carole King or Dionne Warwick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    she will go down as legendary. I am not a fan, but I don't hate her either. I think she is played to death though.
    Played where? On the radio? What kind of radio station would she be played on? Easy listening? I just can't figure out where people are hearing her (aside from the Skyfall theme, and seeking her out on YouTube, for example).

See, Scott Bails refers to her as a "cultural phenomenon," which I guess she is. I don't know, I do find it sort of depressing that there can be a "cultural phenomenon" that can so easily be completely un-experienced by people.
    But this is the point - you have be living under a pretty big boulder to not know anything about her, as you profess.

BTW - did you hear there's a new Star Wars film coming out in December?

I don't get how you can have not heard Adele's music at some point. In fact I think it's impossible.