Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Parsons is Prog? Surely you jest?

Alan Parsons is Prog? Shirley you jest?

The title says it all. But to avoid confusion, why do some folks consider the AP to be Prog?
    Last edited by StevegSr; 12-11-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Why should I care?

But well, let's take a look:
    Conceptalbums - check
    Long, multipart compositions - The fall of the house of Usher

You don't have to play in odd meters to be prog. Sometimes it's more about a grand scope and vision and AP had that for sure.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-19-2015 at 03:50 PM.

PS I would call it prog with a little p at best. It's a helluva lot more prog than say, Fleetwood Mac! LMAO!

Well, not in later years, but "Tales" is plenty proggy to my ears, and subsequent albums were also progressive to lesser degrees with each one. Back to "Tales", which is my favorite APP release by far: it's got interesting arrangements and lyrical subject matter that defy the usual rock norms, an excellent blend of rock instruments and orchestra, a multi-movement instrumental piece, etc.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    What is Prog?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    What is Prog?
    I don't give a shit anymore. LET'S ROCK OUT!!!

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I like APP
    I like prog/Prog/progressive music
    Ergo, APP is Prog
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    The title says it all. But to avoid confusion, why do some folks consider the AP to be Prog?
    I'll try this:

TOMAI, (1976) About half seems prog. 20/41 minutes
    I Robot (1977) Title song and last 10 minutes sound prog to me. 15/40 minutes
    Pyrmid (1978) prog elements throughout

That's it, I think

Still, my favorite AP is 1993 Try Anything Once (and I don't care how much prog is or is not in that)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I don't give a shit anymore. LET'S ROCK OUT!!!

Ah, but there's a prog connection: the electric piano was played by a 15 year old Don Gallucci, who later formed the proto-prog band Touch. So let's face it, EVERYTHING is prog.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Ah, but [...] the electric piano was played by a 15 year old Don Gallucci, who later formed the proto-prog band Touch.
    I know - I KNOW, dammit!

There's that ecstatic fulfillment:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Still, my favorite AP is 1993 Try Anything Once (and I don't care how much prog is or is not in that)
    Agreed. Love that one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    PS I would call it prog with a little p at best. It's a helluva lot more prog than say, Fleetwood Mac! LMAO!
    Well, the Chain was prog-ish, or as close to prog as Lindsey and Stevie would ever get! LOL!

And why didn't Prog ever have vixen with a sexy witch persona like Stevie Nicks?!

Prog did have a drop dead beauty in Kristina from Curved Air, and Hard Rock was hard pressed to match her. The Wilson, sisters from Heart, come to mind and perhaps a young Grace Slick. But that's it!

Since Phil Collins on a prog forum isn't much of a stretch, why not APP? Both are awesome!
    Last edited by Sean; 11-19-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Ah, but there's a prog connection: the electric piano was played by a 15 year old Don Gallucci, who later formed the proto-prog band Touch. So let's face it, EVERYTHING is prog.
    I believe Kevin Gilbert remastered their album.

Too much fine synth work and instrumentals to not be prog
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

They're so prog they make my shirt explode.

Ok, can someone suggest some long form songs from APP so I can stream them. I only know the pop hits from the seventies, which I enjoyed very much, btw.

Collins ruined prog? Really? I don't think that his pop records had any impact on progressive rock and I'll defend Collin's ability as a drummer to my dying breath, but was Prog ruined by the association?
    You're new here, Steve; now you've met Rufus. Phil Collins must've kidnapped his wife and kids at gunpoint... or something, because he bashes Phil every chance he gets. After a while, you learn to just shrug it off and move on to the next post or thread.

You're new here, Steve; now you've met Rufus. Phil Collins must've kidnapped his wife and kids at gunpoint... or something, because he bashes Phil every chance he gets. After a while, you learn to just shrug it off and move on to the next post or thread.
    No sweat. I've heard this before from people. I don't get it, but I've heard it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    You don't have to play in odd meters to be prog. Sometimes it more about a grand scope and vision and AP had that for sure.
    Damn straight. I just got a brand spanking new copy of Pyramid and will enjoy it this weekend. The opening to this album just blows me away.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Ok, can someone suggest some long form songs from APP so I can stream them. I only know the pop hits from the seventies, which I enjoyed very much, btw.

The fall of the house of Usher from the first album.

Jon Neudorf
    Love Alan Parsons. Favourites are I Robot, Pyramid, Tales, Turn of a Friendly Card and Try Anything Once. Incredibly smart arrangements, interesting concepts and tasty muscianship. I consider these albums prog. The latter releases are more poppy but still very good for what they are although Gaudi does have a light coating of progginess, all IMO of course.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post

The fall of the house of Usher from the first album.
    Ah, this is what I'm talking about! Classical and Symphonic. Grade A+!