Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: One hit wonders....who were not

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

One hit wonders....who were not

I was listening to XM when I happened upon a Gloria Gaynor's "I Never Can Say Goodbye". A comedian not long ago made a joke about Gaynor's "I Will Survive" by asking what happened to her. I think a lot of people consider her a one hit wonder, but she actually had four hits at least. So, I was thinking of how many acts actually were considerably successful but now have fallen into the "one hit wonder" category simply because of one hit that currently gets airplay for whatever reason.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Marillion - Kayleigh

Suspended
    ^^ Kayleigh? Airplay? Where? I heard it on radio ONCE, at about the time of release. I'd be more inclined to nomimate songs that were actual hits, and are still played fairly often, eg.

Buddy Holly - Peggy Sue
    Garfunkel - Bright Eyes
    Yes - OOALH
    Laura Branigan - Gloria (she had at least one other hit, Self Control, which I liked much better)
    The Church - The Unguarded Moment (their first hit, and they have done much better songs since)

and possibly the most glaring example:

Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi. Out of dozens of great songs over a long career, that's the only one any radio announcer seems to know about.

LOTS of bands labored in obscurity, turning out excellent music album-after-album. If they were LUCKY one of their songs got some radio play.

Of course that's a two-edged sword, because forever after they're expected to tour the state fair circuit playing their one "hit."

Suspended
    Another obvious one - Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale.

Their biggest hit, but not their only hit - but certainly the only track you are likely to hear these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Buddy Holly - Peggy Sue
    "That'll Be the Day" was #1 in the US charts and "Everyday" reached #3. But aside from those and "Peggy Sue," nothing ever made the Top 10.

Golden Earring - Radar Love. A one hit wonder in the US. But they had a shed load of great albums before that single and were popular at home in NL and in the UK.
    Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin...exactly the same applies here as Bob wrote for PH.
    Dio - Holy Diver
    Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi. Out of dozens of great songs over a long career, that's the only one any radio announcer seems to know about.
    "Help Me" was #7 in the US charts, her only tune that made Top 10.

Buddy Holly was having good-sized posthumous hits here in the UK well into the 60s, and had a couple of Number 1s in the 50s. I would venture that him and Chuck Berry were the single biggest inspirations on the entire British Invasion movement.

David Essex was mentioned on a few threads recently as a 'one hit wonder'. He had two Number 1s in the UK (among other big hits into the 80s) and neither of them was 'Rock On'!

With The Moody Blues, bear in mind that they had a UK Number 1 before Justin Hayward/John Lodge had even joined the band. Although admittedly, not much else was successful with that line-up.

Chelsea Morning and Woodstock still get plenty of airplay in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    "That'll Be the Day" was #1 in the US charts and "Everyday" reached #3. But aside from those and "Peggy Sue," nothing ever made the Top 10.
    Exactly.

But, surprising that he only had those three Top 10 hits.

Man, I love Buddy Holly.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Golden Earring - Radar Love. A one hit wonder in the US.
    Not at all. "Twilight Zone" was played to death when it was out, reaching #10 on the charts.

First one I thought of, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Now you see, there ya go. I don't think I've ever even heard Twilight Zone, but I will later this evening

Go to the Sundazed or Rhino Records sites. You'll see tons of one-hit-wonder bands that recorded scores of tracks in their day.

As for Procol Harum, their song "Conquistador" (with the orchestra) was a mammoth hit, so much so that I turned the radio off every time I heard the first couple of notes.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Golden Earring - Radar Love. A one hit wonder in the US. But they had a shed load of great albums before that single and were popular at home in NL and in the UK.
    they've had a very successful career in Europe for decades. Lots of great albums and hit singles. I don't know why they didn't catch on in north america. They're still going strong. And they've actually been around a little bit longer than the Stones. the Stones formed in '62. GE is '61

The Looking Glass - 'Brandy' is still one of my favorite love (or unrequited love) songs

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    they've had a very successful career in Europe for decades. Lots of great albums and hit singles. I don't know why they didn't catch on in north america. They're still going strong. And they've actually been around a little bit longer than the Stones. the Stones formed in '62. GE is '61
    Yea, it certainly is a mystery.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    As for Procol Harum, their song "Conquistador" (with the orchestra) was a mammoth hit, so much so that I turned the radio off every time I heard the first couple of notes.

... but I didn't think that was the point of the thread. All those acts had other hits, but are chiefly remembered in 2015 for only one song by the vast majority of the public.

Anyway, like the other "one hit wonder" threads, the problem with this thread is that what you hear depends on where you live.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 11-19-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Queensryche- Silent Lucidity
    Nazareth- Love Hurts
    Kansas- Dust In The Wind

To the average pop music listener these bands appeared out of nowhere and disappeared just as quickly.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I listen to FM radio which back in the 70's had several stations that labeled themselves as album radio. Joni had many songs which played on these stations but they may never have hit the hit charts. Just some of the songs I remember hearing a lot were:

In France they Kiss on Main Street
    Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
    Chelsea Morning
    Big Yellow Taxi
    Both Sides Now
    Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire (one of my favorites)
    Free Man in Paris
    Coyote

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Nazareth- Love Hurts
    Kansas- Dust In The Wind

To the average pop music listener these bands appeared out of nowhere and disappeared just as quickly.
    Can't agree with Kansas. "Carry On Wayward Son" was/is just as big as "Dust in the Wind."

And, A-Ha and Nena may have been one-hit wonders in the U.S., but they were megastars in their home countries. Spandau Ballet is probably another example of that.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Carry On was a radio hit but Dust placed them in a whole 'nother category of fame. At least that's what they said in their documentary. There are people out there who have never heard Carry On but probably hear Dust weekly, still today.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Carry On was a radio hit but Dust placed them in a whole 'nother category of fame. At least that's what they said in their documentary. There are people out there who have never heard Carry On but probably hear Dust weekly, still today.
    ...although for a while there recently every time I watched TV there was a commercial with a guy talking about singing Carry On at karaoke.

Nazareth- Love Hurts
    Kansas- Dust In The Wind

Depends where you live. Nazareth had a few hits in the UK, This Flight Tonight was just as popular!Kansas's Dust in the Wind didn't chart over here but Carry On is a fairly well known song!
    Last edited by Rufus; 11-19-2015 at 05:08 PM.

BOC's Don't Fear the Reaper!
    Cheap Tricks I want you to want me!
    Styx-Babe.

All UK hits but most would struggle to name any others!
    Last edited by Rufus; 11-19-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Golden Earring - Radar Love. A one hit wonder in the US.
    Wasn't Twilight Zone a hit Stateside? MTV sure played the hell out of the (censored) video.