Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Jethro Tull still worth seeing?

Tull is not Tull anymore, it is Ian Anderson and several union scale side musicians.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    If Magma had people on a screen behind them going "Baa baa fo fa la fo bo la toe" 9/10ths of the folks on this board would declare it brilliant.
    You're assuming at least 9/10ths of the folks on this board are fans of Magma and their ilk.

Here's Dark Ages from last night in Bologna, Italy. Be sure to stick it out til at least the first chorus.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    ^^^ Yikes!

What a shame, he was a fine singer. Doesn't he care about his legacy?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw Tull in Toronto about 12 years ago and his voice was shot. Never wanted to go again.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'd see Tull if they did A Passion Play in it's entirety. I'd have to attend the show alone. I could not bare the uncomfortable embarrassment of a friend witnessing Ian's voice.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 02-17-2023 at 07:55 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's sad, because between Ian's voice and having some dude singing for him, and acting stuff out too, it's made it so a) I haven't been interested in seeing Tull on their most recent tours, and b) I can't even remember what the last tour I saw Ian or Tull on was, or even if Martin was still with them - I think he was. The last time might have been the tour where they gave out the free CDs of Aqualung live, whatever that one was. It's like Tull just dissipated into a band that did kind of unappealing-sounding shows.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw Tull in Toronto about 12 years ago and his voice was shot. Never wanted to go again.
    That tour was the last time I saw Tull as well. But even as bad as Ian sounded on some songs back then, the band with Doane and Martin still could really rock. The current band just all stand motionless and play their parts. Truly odd.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's sad, because between Ian's voice and having some dude singing for him, and acting stuff out too, it's made it so a) I haven't been interested in seeing Tull on their most recent tours, and b) I can't even remember what the last tour I saw Ian or Tull on was, or even if Martin was still with them - I think he was. The last time might have been the tour where they gave out the free CDs of Aqualung live, whatever that one was. It's like Tull just dissipated into a band that did kind of unappealing-sounding shows.
    The tours with Ryan (I think that is correct) singing much of the lead vocals were really enjoyable. He wasn't really acting stuff out except in the context of Ian's staging for his solo albums. I'd see Ian again if he had a singer, but only if he had a singer. I can count on one hand the number of shows I've walked out on and the last time I saw Ian was one of those.

I saw him in 2018. The bassist and keyboardist pinch hit on some of the vocals and he had a female singer and violin or viola player on video for parts of "Heavy Horses," and Ryan on video for parts of "Aqualung." I'm glad to have seen Ian once but I can't say it was exciting.

Ian and Martin should combine their bands. Dan Crisp could take on a lot of the lead vocals and the whole thing would be a powerhouse show. Won't ever happen, but it could be great.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I saw him in 2018. The bassist and keyboardist pinch hit on some of the vocals and he had a female singer and violin or viola player on video for parts of "Heavy Horses," and Ryan on video for parts of "Aqualung." I'm glad to have seen Ian once but I can't say it was exciting.
    I think that is the tour we walked out before the encores. It just wasn't what I wanted to see. Obviously, he is still selling tickets so others are happy, and apparently many prefer whatever vocals he can give instead of a different singer, but it just doesn't work for me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I think that is the tour we walked out before the encores.
    It was the tour where he had various musicians including a few former Tull members on video saying what their favorite Tull songs were. It was fun to see John Evan.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Ian and Martin should combine their bands. Dan Crisp could take on a lot of the lead vocals and the whole thing would be a powerhouse show. Won't ever happen, but it could be great.
    Exactly right!

I haven’t missed a Martin Barre Band show but I’ve passed on the last 5 years of Tull gigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    It was the tour where he had various musicians including a few former Tull members on video saying what their favorite Tull songs were. It was fun to see John Evan.
    Yes, that's the one. It was a nice gimmick, but it didn't hide the fact that it was also an awful performance from Ian. I don't think it helped that this was in a 5,000 or so outside theater, but it was just brutal. Maybe other shows on that tour were better, but the one we saw was unlistenable eventually for our group.

I really enjoyed the two I saw with Ryan. And, as others have said, Martin's shows have been fantastic.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Absa-freakin’-lutely. Once again egos get in the way of music. I know it’s gotten in the way of mine. :-)

I just watched a "Classic Album Review" YouTube channel video where he did Ten Bands That Should Retire. Jethro Tull was one of them (unsurprisingly) and he suggested checking out a recent performance of Black Sunday to see why. I did that and, strangely, I'm now thinking that I would go and see them if they came to my part of the world. Ian's vocals seem unchanged from recent years but, on this song at least, he is trading off vocal lines with Joe Parrish which mitigates the problem to a certain extent. The tour setlist is also quite intriguing (see an example below) - I don't think there's been such wide coverage of the back catalogue for a while. There are still other issues such as the inflexibility of some band members (and why is Scott Hammond's kit so small?) but Parrish sounds better than Florian Opahle for my money so, given the opportunity and depending on the ticket price, I might be up for it.
    Nothing Is Easy
    Cross-Eyed Mary
    With You There to Help Me
    Sweet Dream
    We Used to Know
    Wicked Windows
    Holly Herald
    Clasp
    Mine Is the Mountain
    Bourrée in E minor
    Heavy Horses
    The Zealot Gene
    Warm Sporran
    Mrs Tibbets
    Dark Ages
    Aqualung
    Locomotive Breath
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    That tour was the last time I saw Tull as well. But even as bad as Ian sounded on some songs back then, the band with Doane and Martin still could really rock. The current band just all stand motionless and play their parts. Truly odd.
    I agree. I saw them on the last tour they did before Ian 'retired' the name and thoroughly enjoyed it, mainly because the band rocked, especially Barre.
    I saw them do one of their Xmas gigs a year ago, and while I enjoyed it, there was something missing. The rest of the band did sing on one song, but the guitarist just stood motionless.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I agree. I saw them on the last tour they did before Ian 'retired' the name and thoroughly enjoyed it, mainly because the band rocked, especially Barre.
    I saw them do one of their Xmas gigs a year ago, and while I enjoyed it, there was something missing. The rest of the band did sing on one song, but the guitarist just stood motionless.
    Barre is still a force. If you haven't seen his band, definitely worth checking out.

A bit of perspective. My disabilities have progressed to the point where I can no longer attend live events. Appreciate the awesome luxury of seeing music performed live in front of you. I miss it more than can be expressed. Would I go see this current iteration of Tull? In a heartbeat! FYI - really enjoying Rokflote. Definitely in a similar sonic mode to Zealot Gene, but a bit more rock going on over the 12 tracks.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!