Thread: Alan Parsons on Recording...

Alan Parsons on Recording...

A nice little interview regarding his recording philosophy!

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...ression-630648

Interesting.

What would be MORE interesting would be an announcement that his back catalog had been remixed to 5.1 !! Cannot think of a body of music more suited to surround than APP .....

He's right about hardwiring studios & moving. Been there done that. Sucks!

I have his DVD. Great stuff, although 90% should be intuitive and obvious to anyone that really has any business recording imho. The only thing I disagree with is that he is adamant an acoustic guitar should only be recorded in mono on a single mic, given that it's a single soundsource. I like to record a single acoustic in stereo using mismatched mics- you get a wide sound due to the mismatch in eq from different sound profiles of the mics and positioning and this lets you center the guitar while leaving room for bass, drums and vocals. Unless you plan to pan or stack the guitar of course. But overall AP's philosophy is also mine, along with Ken Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I have his DVD. Great stuff, although 90% should be intuitive and obvious to anyone that really has any business recording imho. The only thing I disagree with is that he is adamant an acoustic guitar should only be recorded in mono on a single mic, given that it's a single soundsource. I like to record a single acoustic in stereo using mismatched mics- you get a wide sound due to the mismatch in eq from different sound profiles of the mics and positioning and this lets you center the guitar while leaving room for bass, drums and vocals. Unless you plan to pan or stack the guitar of course. But overall AP's philosophy is also mine, along with Ken Scott.
    Excellent approach, Trurl.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well said. We've discussed this before, after I accidentally stumbled onto your approach while one of my matching mics was on loan to someone. But I agree, the DVD is excellent, but I was surprised at how little I actually learned from it. Mostly common sense or just basic recording knowledge. Although it did boost my confidence to know that I was, through my own trial and error, doing so many things the same way Alan was, and even using some of the same equipment.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Alan Parsons did a great job as sound engineer for the Pink Floyd DSOTM album, one remarkably noticed is the brilliant effect of those kind of "echo" sounds he introduced in the song Us And Them, as well as in The Great Gig In The Sky.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Interesting.
    What would be MORE interesting would be an announcement that his back catalog had been remixed to 5.1 !! Cannot think of a body of music more suited to surround than APP .....
    I also hope It'd happen some day! And Alan can remaster them by himself!