Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family....ticket price....sorry, no!

Family....ticket price....sorry, no!

I see that Family, one of my all time favourite bands, are playing a relatively small venue in Glasgow. As excited as I initially was by this, I am truly staggered that they are asking £50 ($75) a ticket. With respect, at their advanced age, are they going to be that good? I'll pass.....

$75 is not THAT bad. David Gilmour and Black Sabbath were way more than that. But does Family include Roger Chapman? Or is it just one guy who played drums on one album.

No, they're pretty much all originals as far as membership goes. It's twice what I paid to see VDGG at the same venue, a band of the same vintage and quality in my eyes.

I imagine it will sell out and I also imagine, that if you don't go over what isn't that high of a price, you'll regret it the rest of your life.

ymmv.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Unfortunately, from what I hear, the great Chappo is a vocal shadow of his former gloriousness. I'd attend anyway. I fortunately caught Family in '69. A criminally-neglected band of not inconsiderable influence.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Suspended
    I guess what you expect to pay depends on where you live. US$75 is a lot, but is on a par with what I would expect to pay for a concert by a well known artist in Australia. For example I paid about that amount to see Joan Baez recently.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 11-18-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Unfortunately, from what I hear, the great Chappo is a vocal shadow of his former gloriousness. I'd attend anyway.
    Agree 100%. They were once a sensational live outfit - by each and every account I've ever heard. "Shadow" or not today; this may be your very last chance to get to see them at all.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I recently watched a dvd of Alice Cooper just to see the guitarist Orianthi play. I would rather listen to two cats fight than Alice, but he probably sells out as well.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'd give my left you know what to have seen Family in the day. Now, $75 would do fine. One of the all time greats.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

fwiw:

I continue to regret not going to see the Cream Reunion in 2005 in NYC, even though that would have cost me something like $500 or more to go (travel, ticket, hotel).
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I'd give my left you know what to have seen Family in the day. Now, $75 would do fine. One of the all time greats.
    Same here Charles. One of my all favorite bands.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

I believe Charlie Whitney is absent, yes? I'd still pay good $$ to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I see that Family, one of my all time favourite bands, are playing a relatively small venue in Glasgow. As excited as I initially was by this, I am truly staggered that they are asking £50 ($75) a ticket. With respect, at their advanced age, are they going to be that good? I'll pass.....
    $75, in a vaccum, isn't all that high in the grand scheme of things, but it's definitely above what Family should be charging (popular bands playing large arenas get those prices, like Rush and Phish).

I wouldn't pay it.

Family....ticket price....sorry, no!

I'll give you 5 bucks to write that on a sandwich board and walk around outside with it at the venue the day of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    $75, in a vaccum, isn't all that high in the grand scheme of things, but it's definitely above what Family should be charging (popular bands playing large arenas get those prices, like Rush and Phish).

I wouldn't pay it.
    well, in fairness, i wouldn't pay it for Rush or Phish, but I would for Family.

it depends what it is worth to you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

I wouldn't pay it.
    Rush got more than twice that on their last couple tours. And were worth it, but you get fewer chances to see Family.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    well, in fairness, i wouldn't pay it for Rush or Phish, but I would for Family.

it depends what it is worth to you.
    I meant it in a grand scheme of things sort of way. I agree with the original poster that $75 is too much for what a band like Family should be charging, and I mean this independently of what I personally would pay (because that ultimately doesn't mean much; I wouldn't pay $1 to see a lot of bands popular enough to be charging $100, but that's just a matter of taste).

By means of comparison: I'd pay $75 to see Anglagard in the US, because they rarely play here. But given the size of their audience and the venue that they play at, $75 ticket prices for Anglagard is way too high as well. And, sure enough, when they were here, they were only charging half that.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Rush got more than twice that on their last couple tours. And were worth it, but you get fewer chances to see Family.
    On their most recent tour - yes, they were. They probably raised the prices because they promoted their most recent tour as being their last. Having already seen them half a dozen times over the last several years, I passed on the final tour.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    So, your opinion of what a band is capable of should determine the price? Really? That's an awesome model - by this board's majority, we can all see Yes for free next year!

It would be interesting (but very very difficult, granted) to try and implement some kind of amortization program for concerts, whereby you could reduce the ticket costs based on attendance. Say, in a presale you do a Kickstarter kind of thing and not charge until the day of the show. If 50 people (or less) pre-buy tickets they're each $100. If 300 people buy tickets they're each $20. Each individual pays far less and the venue/artist makes a little more in the long run. Wonder if that could be made to work.

fwiw:

I continue to regret not going to see the Cream Reunion in 2005 in NYC, even though that would have cost me something like $500 or more to go (travel, ticket, hotel).
    Yeah, me too! It still pains me whenever I think about it. I somehow deluded myself into thinking that they would do a full tour afterwards so there was no hurry. As soon as I heard Jack and Ginger had had another falling out, I remember cringing and thinking "oh shit, that really *was* that!"

I try to console myself knowing that I got to see Jack with Bernie Worrell and Vernon Reid a few years before.

Moral of the story: go see Family!

It does seem high for a small venue.

fwiw:

I was in London that weekend, but at the VDGG reunion concert. Spent a fortune, but that's why we work.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I believe Charlie Whitney is absent, yes? I'd still pay good $$ to see them.
    My understanding is that Charlie Whitney is happily retired in Spain, and declined to participate in the reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    That's an awesome model - by this board's majority, we can all see Yes for free next year!
    Too much. They're going to have to pay me to get me into a Yes concert at this point in time.