Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family....ticket price....sorry, no!

Charles Aznavour sings in Holland one of these days and tickets go for ... $300+....
    Well, he's 91, so the chances fans have to see him aren't growing.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Charles Aznavour sings in Holland one of these days and tickets go for ... $300+....
    Well, he's 91, so the chances fans have to see him aren't growing.
    If he could still bring it, I would pay it, and pay for tix for my parents too! But I would definitely check Youtube first to hear what he sounds like these days...

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    My understanding is that Charlie Whitney is happily retired in Spain, and declined to participate in the reunion.
    That would be the sticking point, since Chapman and Whitney really were Family. And it looks like there's a second drummer with Rob Townsend, so I hope it's not one of those Graeme Edge kinda deals.

Still, it's Roger Chapman singing Family songs. I'd go.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    As soon as I heard Jack and Ginger had had another falling out, I remember cringing and thinking "oh shit, that really *was* that!"
    yeah! It wasn't like we should have seen it coming that those two would have had any kind of falling out!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Well, he's 91, so
    And here's me thinking Aznavour left the planet about a cuppa decades ago. Ah, well... Great man of the chanson back in the day.

Say, is Maurice Chevalier alive and gigging too somewhere?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Say, is Maurice Chevalier alive and gigging too somewhere?
    Chevalier is an even earlier generation. IF he was still alive, he'd be something like 130. Seriously. He was born in the 1880s, iirc.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I saw Aznavour a couple of years ago here in Moscow. I wouldn't say his voice isn't affected by age - it sure is, but who the hell cares? The artistry is there, as well as the sheer charisma that makes him stand alone on stage almost motionless and still have all eyes on him and not a whisper among the audience... The only other singer who had the big concert hall in Moscow similarly mesmerzied was Leonard Cohen.

I'd go to see Family I were you, of course. One of the great bands of their era! I kick myself for not going to Colosseum show back in 2005 or so when they played in Moscow, it's now an opportunity forever missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I imagine it will sell out and I also imagine, that if you don't go over what isn't that high of a price, you'll regret it the rest of your life.

ymmv.
    yup... so many artists I coulda seen in their prime in the 70s but boycotted because ticket prices were too high then... about $15-$25 for good seats

I've been kicking myself for 40 years
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Chappo put together this Family line-up back in 2013 I believe. Gigs have been just a few at a time since. I've dug out my ticket from the Leicester O2 Academy gig in January 2014, and it cost £35. I remember thinking at the time it was perhaps a little steep; Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited cost me only £26.50, and I would have paid double that. So a little over a year later and an extra £15, eh?

But, and it's a very big but for you, I thought the gig was brilliant. Chappo's voice isn't all shot, and no-one else can tackle No Mule's Fool and Weaver's Answer quite like he can. It was the first time I'd seen Family since Sheffield City Hall in 1970, so I wasn't expecting the intervening 44 years to just roll back as though like magic. I was very pleasantly surprised that it didn't turn into just a nostalgia trip.

I'd definitely go again for £35; I'd struggle to justify £50 if the set were near identical.

I'm not helping your decision, am I?
    Sorry.
    She walks like a bearded rainbow.

Chevalier is an even earlier generation. IF he was still alive, he'd be something like 130.
    Which was exactly why I asked! I mean, Roger Chapman couldn't possibly be a day over 75...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I see that Family, one of my all time favourite bands, are playing a relatively small venue in Glasgow. As excited as I initially was by this, I am truly staggered that they are asking £50 ($75) a ticket. With respect, at their advanced age, are they going to be that good? I'll pass.....
    £50 does seem a bit steep for the ABC - a great place to see a band, but pretty basic (standing only). In fact anything above £30 gets the raised eyebrow from me, unless it's a mega act at the Hydro or SECC.

However if they were "one of my all time favourite bands" I think I'd probably suck it up and go...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Which was exactly why I asked! I mean, Roger Chapman couldn't possibly be a day over 75...

You're right. He's 73. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yup... so many artists I coulda seen in their prime in the 70s but boycotted because ticket prices were too high then... about $15-$25 for good seats

I've been kicking myself for 40 years
    Half the concerts I went to back then are like going on a date with Bill Cosby. I know I was there but just can't remember much about them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I see that Family, one of my all time favourite bands, are playing a relatively small venue in Glasgow. As excited as I initially was by this, I am truly staggered that they are asking £50 ($75) a ticket. With respect, at their advanced age, are they going to be that good? I'll pass.....
    these days, when you consider travel costs, accommodations and general travel expenses, $75 is a pretty reasonable price for a concert from an established act. If I was in the neck of the woods I'd be there in a heartbeat!

^^Plus the fact that the artist don't get as much from selling albums nowadays, so they have to ask these prices.

I just paid $65 for Anderson-Ponty Band gig in Berkley Performance Center in Boston. IT was the cheapest ticket available. Plus, I had to pay $40 for 3.5 hours parking. So, my total was $100.
    $75 for a gig in UK where everything is about 1.5 times more expensive than in US isn't outrageous, in my opinion.
    Unless that "Family" is like the modern "Yes" with one or two classic line-up members only.

P.S. Why nobody complains about cost of CDs in UK: 19-26 pounds?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    I think I'll leave it to British PE members to respond to that one.

yeah! It wasn't like we should have seen it coming that those two would have had any kind of falling out!

You see, you're all starting from the viewpoint that Jack and Ginger's normal mode is not falling out with each other. I see it more as two guys who every so often had a kind of falling in.

Interestingly, both (well, Jack more than Ginger) have claimed that really they are (or were) dear friends and love each other dearly, but they just couldn't work together.

CDs in the UK are normally £10 for new releases with archive prices less, those prices quoted seem more like vinyl prices which are high but then the production run is small.

I would pay premium for a rare opportunity to see a favourite artist. I don't know the production values or costs of staging, but these gigs do not happen without cost and effort, and I doubt they are priced to make anybody rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    They don't cost that much if you're in the UK! I must admit I buy very few CDs by Uk artists -the last two were the Formal Horse eps at £5 each and Van der Graaf's Merlin Atmos at £13.99 for a double CD. I'd say in general about £10-£12 for a new album, £3-8 for a back catalogue CD, maybe more in physical shops but I haven't been in one for years! I buy almost everyhting through Bandcamp or direct from the artists. And I think £50 is way too much to see a band. At the very least I'd expect a comfortable seated venue for that. I saw Family a few times back in their heyday but I wouldn't expect much of them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Interestingly, both (well, Jack more than Ginger) have claimed that really they are (or were) dear friends and love each other dearly, but they just couldn't work together.
    Jack was a very polite man.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    On their most recent tour - yes, they were. They probably raised the prices because they promoted their most recent tour as being their last. Having already seen them half a dozen times over the last several years, I passed on the final tour.
    Let's also factor in that travel is more expensive, and being Canadians, the cost to them of things like per diems to road crew in the USA are now about 30-35% more expensive...as are hotels.

It's a lot more expensive to tour than it was five years ago for a Canadian band if for no other reason than the weakened CDN $.. and that's just one reason.

I only know the first two but they are good examples of the transition of psych into prog(especially the first one).

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Let's also factor in that travel is more expensive, and being Canadians, the cost to them of things like per diems to road crew in the USA are now about 30-35% more expensive...as are hotels.

It's a lot more expensive to tour than it was five years ago for a Canadian band if for no other reason than the weakened CDN $.. and that's just one reason.
    Wouldn't a weak currency in your home country make touring MORE profitable rather than less? Some of the expenses would be higher when expressed in your local currency, but all theconcert takings would be in the currency of the country you are playing in; therefore it seems to me it would make sense from a money point of view to play in countries where the currency is high relative to your own.