Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Howe Beginnings

This has been discussed before for sure.. like most here there was a certain charm that was captured when this was released.. Obvious that Yes had a backlog of "stuff" that needed to be cleared out before moving onto other material thus Steve and Chris' releases bares out. A bit of Tales here and there for sure.. Bruford adds immensely to the recordings.. And the vocals.. ah yes the vocals.. WTF was Steve thinking? He has an "OK" voice when blended with Chris for backup on certain Yes songs but bringing them to the front? Did he not have a close friend at that time to clue him into his misjudgement? Musically this release has some great stuff.. Overall I'd still pick his next release as the real star in his catalog.. the songs are much more developed.. Which again shows how important Jon was to the overall songwriting of Steve.. Had Steve brought this collection to Jon and given him the opportunity to add his flavorings.. particularly at this juncture in Yes' history.. both albums would have turned out much better.. but Beginnings especially..

Cool album cover, but I greatly prefer The SH Album. This one has terrible vocals but still a certain charm, I admit.

Q: Why does every Yes solo album from this period have a promo video (even Alan White's!) but there's not one for Jon's Olias?

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    Q: Why does every Yes solo album from this period have a promo video (even Alan White's!) but there's not one for Jon's Olias?
    The closest thing I've seen is when Jon appeared on OGWT in 1976. After talking a while with Bob Harris they played a film that used "Flight of the Moorglade" as the soundtrack. The film appeared to be a 1920s-era stop motion piece about medieval knights or something, and it looked like it was something the BBC might have dug up just for that one show, rather than an official promo film.

It's on YT if you really care, but the quality is extremely dire.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    The closest thing I've seen is when Jon appeared on OGWT in 1976. After talking a while with Bob Harris they played a film that used "Flight of the Moorglade" as the soundtrack. The film appeared to be a 1920s-era stop motion piece about medieval knights or something, and it looked like it was something the BBC might have dug up just for that one show, rather than an official promo film.

It's on YT if you really care, but the quality is extremely dire.
    Interesting, thanks.