Thread: Lee Michaels box set

Lee Michaels box set

i don't know how many of you are aware of lee michaels.......he is a superb keyboardist and multil-instrumentalist who recorded six or seven albums in the late 60's and 70's

the first two albums could firmly be labeled as prog.....the third..his self-titled album..is very blusey..and should be a primer for hammond organ

the rest were mostly pop songs..with varying degrees of quality

well......they're all going to be released in a 7-cd box on november 20th

seeing that most of these albums have been out of print for a long time..and even though nothing was said about remastering..i'm buying this as soon as i'm finished with this

i forgot to mention.....this set is just the a&m releases

This is from Amazon (my emphasis)

"All 7 CDs in The Complete A&M Album Collection have been digitally re-mastered from the original master tapes to bring out the highest quality sound from these classic recordings.

The packaging on all of the titles has been manufactured and designed to mirror the original vinyl releases from the 60s & 70s. Also included in the box set is a 40 page booklet with archival photos, posters and concert ads as well as comprehensive liner notes, quotes and information on each individual album."

I'm in, I have a couple of his now and would love to have more

Some good folks were involved with this: The remastering was done by Bill Inglot and sounds great, much fuller than the old One Way CD's. The design is by Lisa Sutton, another big name for Rhino fans-- There are lots of memorabilia and gig posters in the booklet. The liner notes are by myself-- Lee Michaels almost never does interviews and he discusses every album.

Ya know, I never have heard any of Lee Michaels' stuff. I remember reading about him in Keyboard and Guitar Player magazines, apparently, he made big news when he went onstage, playing a Hammond, with just a drummer as backup. Then he surprised everyone (well, everyone who knew about him at that stage) by adding guitar to the mix and changing up his sound big time.

That's literally all I know about him.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Ya know, I never have heard any of Lee Michaels' stuff.
    Not even this one?

My Lee Michaels story……..

Last year my wife and I were at ROSfest sharing a rental townhouse in Gettysburg with another couple. One of the nights after the festival was over we were just hanging around drinking some beers listening to random music on the computer and my friend put on some Lee Michaels. I had never heard of him before, but was really digging what I was hearing. We ended up listening to a whole album and I became a convert. Since then I picked up one of his compilation CD’s and really enjoy it. I would definitely be interested in this box set. I have no clue how this guy stayed completely off my radar until 2015, but I would guess at least some people here would dig what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Not even this one?

No, but I guess this was just a hit in the USA and Canada. Here in Holland it didn't even hit the top 40.

Discogs has a funny version of Do You Know What I Mean, coupled with Split Enz and Squeez: http://www.discogs.com/Lee-Michaels-...elease/1734050

A lot of background on this box and Michaels can be found here: http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015...d-catalog.html

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    A lot of background on this box and Michaels can be found here: http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015...d-catalog.html
    Everything below the video is copied from the booklet notes, but there's more where that came from.

I really only dug the first couple of LPs. Caught him with Frosty on a bill with the Moody Blues and Argent in '70.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

In some of his later album the guitar player is Drake Levin, formely of Paul Revere and the Raiders... a great, underrated player.

Here's a 14 minutes plus track from his 1972 album, Space and First Takes, with Drake Levin very prominent on guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPdYJwkWgVA