Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Prog's biggest disappointments of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Biggest disappointment of 2015: Trane did not get the joke of Yves.

Ok, not sufficiently awake yet!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    but Seal had to pull out

Henry
    Isn't that why Heidi dumped him?
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Isn't that why Heidi dumped him?
    B'dum tish...

Anyway, I highly recommend Seal's new album 7, full of end-of-relationship songs by him and Horn (who's wife, Jill, was brain damaged and then died).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I can see why fans of earlier Echolyn might be disappointed with the recent direction. They have more recently become more "about the song" and less overtly "proggy" or about instrumental prowess. I've come to adore the last two albums. I almost hate to play them in the car now because they take over and I will just spin them endlessly. I understand the "one note" accusation, but it's a vibe I enjoy and can apparently get sucked into easily, lol.

I'd have to agree about the new Spock's album being a disappointment (well, expectations weren't super high). I'm probably more disappointed in the Beardfish...but I wasn't that thrilled with The Void either, so expectations were a bit more muted this time.

Oh well, there is so much else out there...
    <sig out of order>

I love all the post-ATW material, but this last one is not a step up from the "Windowpane" album, therefore, it's a bit of a disappointment. Let's remember that that is a relative term. Disappointment does not equate dislike, merely something not quite up to the level you'd have hoped. Both Echolyn and Steven Wilson had to plateau at some point and, imo, both have with their 2015 releases.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    One of Echolyn's finest.
    Agreed.

Actually, counter this thread's subject, it seems like a pretty good year for prog.

The new IZZ is also wonderful, as is the Karda Estra EP that just came out. Some great Inside Out titles - I happen to love the Beardfish as it was my intro to the band (the right now, I can't get enough of The Sane Day), the Nad Sylvan; other titles I love this year: Sanguine Hum's Now We Have Light, Jaga Jazzist's Starfire, Jane Getter's Premonition (review to come soon).

There's more, but it's been a real year of discovery of prog old and new, thanks to many kind folks. There's little I've heard that I would say was disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I happen to love the Beardfish as it was my intro to the band (the right now, I can't get enough of The Sane Day)
    The Sane Day is by far the greatest thing they have done, IMHO - along with those mother tongue songs on their debut.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Anyway, I highly recommend Seal's new album 7, full of end-of-relationship songs by him and Horn (who's wife, Jill, was brain damaged and then died).

Henry
    I just got the CD in the mail today. I put off buying his last one from 2007 until 3 weeks ago since I only liked three songs -- and now up to five on that one. Just eight years of understandable procrastination. I think 7 is a big step up from the previous mis-step.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 11-25-2015 at 04:42 PM.

To me, the Hackett Wolflight is pretty lame. But I've only listened to it a few times. My prog acquisitions for this year have been weak, I've been buying a lot of old stuff...

Glad to see P.E. is back and strong! I'm an old time PE member. Peace! David

Banned
    If it was Prog, I wouldn't be disappointed. So there can not be "Prog's biggest disappointments of 2015".