Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Gabriel-II (Scratch)- An overlooked gem!?

Absolutely his most overlooked and most diverse. My fave of his solos works. Has a bit more warmth than later releases, many of which came off as rather cold and detached. Deliberately, I suspect....

My least favourite of his original albums.

Hmmmm. I must be in the minority with this album. I love it. But then again I love the first four pretty much equally. Oh well.........

Tough crowd! I love this album, though like most here I'm not a big fan of the production--except on "White Shadow," which could have fit on the first album. And still, it was quite an effective contrast, from Ezrin's kitchen-sink approach to Fripp's starkness.

I've always felt that for the first two albums he was searching for his own sound. I could never take the overdone Bob Ezrin production of the first. The two tracks I like, Solsbury Hill and Here Comes the Flood, both sound far better live and I never liked any of the rest.

With the second, his writing was better and sound was more cohesive, but yeah, Fripps production wasn't much better than Ezrins. That said, I still go back to the second and enjoy it quite a bit, except for Home Sweet Home which is just too depressing for me to listen to anymore.

Played the album a lot when it was released and still like it. The beauty of PG-catalogue is its diversity: all albums have different productions, different atmospheres.
    After a few years I began to notice that PG II could be listened to as Gabriel's pop-version of The Lamb. I can't really put the finger on it exactly, it's more a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I am a huge fan of Car, Melt and Security but Scratch never did it for me.
    Yep!

I've always loved this release.. Bought it the day it was released.. Mother of Violence might just be my favorite Peter song..

My favorite from him! Side one is the best he ever did and On the Air and White Shadow are his two best tunes. IMHO, of course!

I remember liking it ok. The first one is one of my all time favorite albums though. I haven't heard this one in a long time actually. The ones that really stood out for me(at least at the time)were "DIY," "on the air,""wonderful day" and "Perspective."