Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: New Steven Wilson - 4 1/2 Out January 2016

I use chick all the time...and Steven Wilson approves. I know, he told me. And if you play any of his records backward, any of them, he gives his approval of calling chicks chicks after he says he buried Paul..

In the back of my mind I thought before I posted my original comment “I bet there is no way I can be honest and say I don’t like that song without JK finding some issue with it, or some part of this post”.

I disagree with Wilson where he says music is likely as diverse as it will ever get because all sounds can be sampled. He is greatly underestimating powerful technology that should arrive by 2030.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I disagree with Wilson where he says music is likely as diverse as it will ever get because all sounds can be sampled. He is greatly underestimating powerful technology that should arrive by 2030.
    Any time anyone makes a claim to the effect that we've invented/discovered all that can be invented/discovered they are ultimately proved wrong.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    In the back of my mind I thought before I posted my original comment “I bet there is no way I can be honest and say I don’t like that song without JK finding some issue with it, or some part of this post”.
    Aw, c'mon, Sean...I've hardly been around lately!

Plus, I hope you took a little humour from my South Park reference; if you've not seen PC Principal, then you must. It'd weird, warped and, like I said, despite being funny, undeniably disturbing....

A couple clips to occupy five mins of yer time:

https://youtu.be/RUPkgWSYjx0

https://youtu.be/NLaNQ_hI4E8

https://youtu.be/ZGWKKI2ky8w

Where did he say that? I'm surprised....

Suspended
    ^^ Alternatively, just don't watch South Park. Matter of fact that's a good idea anyway.

Regarding PC, what one person disparagingly calls "political correctness", another will simply call "respect". I dislike the way "Oh, that is so PC" is used to silence any criticism of use of demeaning nicknames or stereotypes. Not that I think Sean was being demeaning.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ Alternatively, just don't watch South Park. Matter of fact that's a good idea anyway.

Regarding PC, what one person disparagingly calls "political correctness", another will simply call "respect". I dislike the way "Oh, that is so PC" is used to silence any criticism of use of demeaning nicknames or stereotypes. Not that I think Sean was being demeaning.
    Of course the problem is that the PC crowd is forcing their notion of "respect" on others. Unfortunately, there is a small percentage of vocal people who love telling others how to think or what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Where did he say that? I'm surprised....
    starts from 1:10

1:28 "Actually, we've kind of reached the end of the era of great innovation...you know that was inevitable in a way. That was always going to happen. There was always going to be a point where the musical vocabulary could no longer expand, at least not without the introduction of some technology that would kind of facilitate another step on. And I'm not even sure that's possible. i mean, we've gotten to the point where you can sample any sound and manipulate in almost any way..so how could technology expand the musical vocabulary again. So I'm not sure it can. "

Oh, do I ever disagree. It's as irreverent as it gets, but is as broad in its lampooning reach as it gets. In fact, I'd suggest that if you are a name and haven't been lampooned by SP, then you're in trouble, because chances are you're irrelevant. There have been some terrific shots against Scientology, for example...and as a Canuck, I've loved how they've portrayed us folks in the great white north. The wedding episode where the married couple must dip their arms into pudding was particularly good...as was the one where Canada built a wall to prevent Americans from getting in

I agree...both that I don't think Sean was being demeaning, and that I hate the use of PC as a criticism of anything demeaning. PC is when Canada plans to have a "burka day" to celebrate Islam. I don't recall there ever being a "yalmuka day," a "turban day" or a "tallis day." Now THAT is PC.

Criticizing the use of the term chick, however, is not...and, with no disrespect intended Sean as I am sure you meant none, that is a matter of respect and not a matter of PC, as chick was long gone from the vernacular before the term PC was even coined.

But I did mean no disrespect and hope you enjoyed the PC Principal clips from SP.....the first one, in particular.
    Cheers to all!
    John

Of course the problem is that the PC crowd is forcing their notion of "respect" on others. Unfortunately, there is a small percentage of vocal people who love telling others how to think or what to do.
    Sadly, I've a family member like that. And what I find most annoying about the PC crowd is most of them are happy to tell you what to do...but don't necessarily do it themselves. The family member i refer to is a huge advocate for "the working class" (i think she means blue collar, and service industry folks)...but does she properly tip at a restaurant? It's like the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs where Steve Buscemi won't throw in a buck because the waitress didn't refill his coffee enough times. And when I was at dinner with her and her boyfriend one time, I just about crawled under the table when he actually snapped his fingers at a waiter to get his attention.
    UGH.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Sadly, I've a family member like that. And what I find most annoying about the PC crowd is most of them are happy to tell you what to do...but don't necessarily do it themselves. The family member i refer to is a huge advocate for "the working class" (i think she means blue collar, and service industry folks)...but does she properly tip at a restaurant? It's like the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs where Steve Buscemi won't throw in a buck because the waitress didn't refill his coffee enough times. And when I was at dinner with her and her boyfriend one time, I just about crawled under the table when he actually snapped his fingers at a waiter to get his attention.
    UGH.
    Wow, that last part is crazy. Not as rude as what you described, but I work as a post-production editor in television, and occasionally over the years, a producer has sat in my edit suite and snapped their fingers in front of the monitor (and near my face) to try and let me know where an interview clip should end, for example. I immediately tell them, that if they do that again, I will shut the computer down and go home. They learn fast to not do that, lol.

neil

Just curious, what is your notion of respect? And please give me an example of when someone "forced" their notion of respect on you. How does one do that?

Seriously, when I started typing that I was just busting chops, but now I find myself curious. How does someone "force" a notion on you?