Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Petition to stop Phil Collins return to music

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I don't recall anybody in here crying over the (very real, as opposed to this, which is just a joke) effort to get Justin Bieber *deported* from the United States last year. In fact, I remember quite a few people joking and laughing about it. And I'm sure Justin Bieber fans knee-jerked the same "you're all just jealous of him!" defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    1)
    Finding the Bieber thing either funny or appropriate would disqualify one from chiding those who feel the same way about the Collins petition.
    I didn't follow the Bieber situation, and I'm not going to take the time to look it up now, so I'll take your word on it. This Collins "petition" is an attempt at using ridicule to mock Phil Collins. Not clever at all, but undoubtedly thought to be so by the originator, it's goal is a mean-spirited kind of humor. The effort to get Bieber deported was not intended as humor. It was going for real & actual results. Furthermore, while those pushing the Bieber deportation were likely not fans of his music, much of the brouhaha involved events surrounding his private conduct, not his music. Given that the aims of the 2 issues in question were different, as well as the bases for those issues, it's perfectly reasonable for people to find one action objectionable, and the other action acceptable. Your logic does not hold up.

Phil Collins ruined Miami Vice.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

Phil Collins ruined crappy Michelob beer.

[QUOTE=Onomatopoeic;478877]

Phil Collins ruined crappy Michelob beer. /QUOTE]

Wait, if that's a double negative does that mean Phil Collins saved Michelob beer?

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post
    Wait, if that's a double negative does that mean Phil Collins saved Michelob beer?

I couldn't tell you if Philboy saved Michelob or not. All I know for sure is that... IT. DOESN'T. GET. ANY. SICKER. THAN. THIS.

I'm happy for him that he's able to perform again. I probably won't be interested in any new recording by him, but hey, nobody forces me to listen to it.

I couldn't tell you if Philboy saved Michelob or not. All I know for sure is that... IT. DOESN'T. GET. ANY. SICKER. THAN. THIS.

Yeah, but....

Don't you know what the night can do?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^That was from Winwood, yeah.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-06-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^That was from Winwood, yeah.
    Yes, I know. But where is all of the criticism for little Stevie?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

6 pages....

And wants to stop him anyway? People who haven't changed their wardrobe, glasses, or hairstyle since 1976, who still listen to the same music, and who expected PC to keep churning out ATOTT every 3 years for the next 40 years even if they'd be the only ones buying the music.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    6 pages....

And wants to stop him anyway? People who haven't changed their wardrobe, glasses, or hairstyle since 1976, who still listen to the same music, and who expected PC to keep churning out ATOTT every 3 years for the next 40 years even if they'd be the only ones buying the music.
    No, I assume it's mostly people who don't like his 80s stuff and his Disney stuff. Basically it is (or at least was) 'cool' to bash PhilCo.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

It was my attempt at humour. While I would not sign that petition I will admit to not realizing how much I loathed his solo output until I assisted one of Martin Levac's tribute shows and was subjected to over 2 hours of the material in a row!

Suspended
    You might say it is not PC to like Phil Collins.

[QUOTE=wilcox660;478765]I may be in the minority on here, but I have nothing but love for Phil. [QUOTE]

This whole "PE is full of Phil bashers" is such a fabricated thing brought on by a few thin skinned, in-house, spin doctors. Reading this thread there are hardly any people saying "Yeah! Stay retired! I never liked you". Quite the opposite. So acting like liking him is being part of a minority is a head scratcher. Only Rufus openly said "Good!" and he is a hornet's nest kicker of the highest caliber when it comes to Phil, so of course he is gonna say that. I don't see many joining his mindset though in this thread. We sometimes get branded as a nest of haters and shit like this perpetuates that unfair rep thanks to our spin doctors. Not calling you one, John, btw.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-06-2015 at 11:47 AM.

[QUOTE=Sean;479042][QUOTE=wilcox660;478765]I may be in the minority on here, but I have nothing but love for Phil. [QUOTE]

This whole "PE is full of Phil bashers" is such a fabricated thing brought on by a few thin skinned, in-house, spin doctors. Reading this thread there are hardly any people saying "Yeah! Stay retired! I never liked you". Quite the opposite. So acting like liking him is being part of a minority is a head scratcher. Only Rufus openly said "Good!" and he is a hornet's nest kicker of the highest caliber when it comes to Phil, so of course he is gonna say that. I don't see many joining his mindset though in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Wrong!!!

A 70% majority of PE's have alluded to little love for a Collins return in this thread, although some may be tongue in cheek!

Yves
    Yamishogun
    Facelift
    Mister Triscuits
    Walt
    Jay.Dee
    Miamiscot
    Fraktured
    N_Singh
    Guitargeek
    Onomatipic

Give it up. Your hate won't transcend.

I have admitted to not being a fan of his solo work but I won't sign that petition. I'm a vivre et laissez vivre kind of guy. I also believe that this thread has run its course.

Agreed. Not that it was ever worth much!

This bad news just came in!!!

[I]Phil would love to sing in front of Rutherford and Banks again - but doubts he could drum behind Gabriel
    Phil Collins says he’d love to stage a reunion with Genesis – but thinks it would have to be with the lineup he fronted, rather than bringing back Peter Gabriel.

The singer and drummer last month confirmed he’d come out of retirement after rethinking his life and receiving treatment for the physical issues that had hounded him.

He reported that he only needed to practice if he wanted to play drums again – but his latest comments suggest it might not be so straightfoward.

Collins tells the Telegraph: “I’d love to do it, but it puts a bit of a kibosh on it if I can’t play the drums.

“There’s no reason why the three of us can’t get back together, though. We still get along – always have done.

“The voice is alright, that’s the main thing. Considering a lot of people don’t even know I play drums, I could get away with it. It would piss me off, because it’s the reason I started doing this in the in the first place – but I’m not sure anyone else would care.”

In the first instance he’s aiming to restart his solo career with a run of live dates that won’t take the form of a traditional tour.

He says: “Kate Bush did shows in London and people came to her. Billy Joel plays once a month at Madison Square Garden. Bryan Adams does two or three weeks of touring with lots of breaks – so it can be done.”

But Collins admits: “I’ve got a lot of questions myself – I wish I had some better answers.”

[/I]

Enough.... People like you drag this place down. Surely you know that.....
    Last edited by Sean; 11-06-2015 at 12:19 PM.