Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Petition to stop Phil Collins return to music

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ignore them, Phil! We await Tarzan II...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Onion Eagles spoof is funny. This is not.

What is the difference?

“Should another Eagles album—or even, God forbid, a double album—be released to the public at large, it could potentially affect millions of Americans, and the devastation would easily rival the 2007 Wal-Mart exclusive release of Long Road Out Of Eden and the 1994 live comeback album Hell Freezes Over, the previous two occasions on which the band has struck,” Secretary Beers said. “At this juncture, we can only advise the American people to be aware of a heightened risk."

You don't think Mr. Henley and Mr. Frey weren't sobbing in their respective pillows when they caught wind of this?

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    What is the difference?

“Should another Eagles album—or even, God forbid, a double album—be released to the public at large, it could potentially affect millions of Americans, and the devastation would easily rival the 2007 Wal-Mart exclusive release of Long Road Out Of Eden and the 1994 live comeback album Hell Freezes Over, the previous two occasions on which the band has struck,” Secretary Beers said. “At this juncture, we can only advise the American people to be aware of a heightened risk."

You don't think Mr. Henley and Mr. Frey weren't sobbing in their respective pillows when they caught wind of this?
    It's the level of detail. I don't see any of that in this petition.

Didn't Phil ruined the entire music industry? That's what I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who the fuck cares that an old geezer like Phil wants to perform songs that, in our prog world, are substandard and shake his ass like a fool, if he can still shake it without going to a chiropractor?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I thought this was a joke. It's not. Which is absolutely outrageous. What is this...the antithesis to crowd-funding? Crowd-banning?

Seriously, whoever started this petition has a serious pickle where it doesn't belong.

I'm gob-smacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You are concerned that this might hurt Phil Collins' feelings?

Who wouldn't take Phil Collins' money in exchange for a similar petition about them? And in the unlikely event that this actually does hurt Phil Collins' feelings, then he should definitely stay out the public eye. People that fragile don't belong in it.
    I don't know if it would hurt his feelings or not. I assume he would have a tough amour at this point. It's possible that it would, but ultimately, as I said in my original comment, what is the point of the petition other than to just be mean spirited? First of all, bashing on Phil is an old and at this point, redundant "joke". Plus, who cares about how much money he has? He has earned it through his success. Your comment does in some way imply where circumstances like his come from though or why people think it's ok. Well, he has a lot of money, so F him, he can deal with it. That too seems pretty unfair to me.

It takes a ton of cynicism and greed to crank out "one More Night" and "In too Deep".

But yeah. That's exactly what that decade was about and that music personified that to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's the level of detail. I don't see any of that in this petition.
    Well, yeah, that's because they are The Onion I finally clicked it and grinned when I saw they were petitioning the United Nations! Granted, amateur compared to The Onion but "he must be stopped" shows the humor.

I still can't believe after seeing how Collins has joked in interviews, actually releasing I Can't Dance, etc, that he wouldn't have a big grin about this. Now if the same petition was against Peter Banks, no sir! Banks would have called the barristers.

chalkpie
    I love Phil - glad he is returning. He's done more for music and culture than the asshole that started this petition, and he will have the last laugh when he comes back and then looks at his bank statement. I hope he makes millions more. He's worked his ass off, has a boatload of talent, and has the ability to reach such a diverse demographic of folks within a huge catalog of various music. Supper's Ready to Brand X to Motown to Tarzan? Sign me up - I wish I had the talent to cover that in one lifetime.

He has a great sense of humour and no doubt would laugh at this stupid thing.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 11-05-2015 at 06:04 AM.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    ...uh...PeterG? *duck and run*
    Peter G is the man, sorry. Huge Cardiacs fanatic - a world of respect right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I don't know if it would hurt his feelings or not. I assume he would have a tough amour at this point. It's possible that it would, but ultimately, as I said in my original comment, what is the point of the petition other than to just be mean spirited? First of all, bashing on Phil is an old and at this point, redundant "joke". Plus, who cares about how much money he has? He has earned it through his success. Your comment does in some way imply where circumstances like his come from though or why people think it's ok. Well, he has a lot of money, so F him, he can deal with it. That too seems pretty unfair to me.
    It's not at all unfair, because it's not purely about money. It's about choosing to be in the public eye and a celebrity, and choosing not to. Plenty of people have made lots of money while not being in the public eye, and thus they would not be applicable to my comment. Likewise, there probably are at least some people who have consciously chosen to become public figures, but who do not have lots of money. They would be applicable.

The fact is, that if a person chooses the life and career of Phil Collins, '80s hitmaker, you tacitly accept the consequences of your fame, which is to have lots of people publicly hate you. The same goes for politicians, professional athletes, etc. The hate is part of the game, and if you can't handle it, don't take the money/power/notoriety. When Phil was in seclusion in Switzerland, everybody under 30 forgot who he was and he had a quiet life of privacy.

Now, all that said, a petition such as this one... I mean, I can't imagine how anybody could possibly be bothered by it if they were the target. If they were to, then they definitely lack the fortitude to be in the entertainment business.

Just read an interview with Phil Collins in the Torygraph.

He comes across as unsure as to his worth to the music scene over the years. Understandable. As someone who writes songs (for fun, rather than money) I know that when you've worked hard on a project & eventually play it to the public at large, you tend to ignore the praise & accept the criticism. Phil's been mocked by the music press for most of his career so I can imagine that this petition jibe will give him pretty serious pause for thought.

Should he have thicker skin? Maybe, but sensitivity is hard to shed.

For my part, I reckon Phil's a mind bogglingly good musician, a fine singer & a more than half-decent songwriter. I don't like everything he's recorded but the majority of his music is well worth a listen.

I would love a new Genesis alum (with three, four or five members) but a new Phil Collins album would also be an autobuy.

But then, I like Leo Sayer, so what do I know?

He's publicly admitted, in very candid interviews about his issues with depression and occasional suicidal tendencies, that he is indeed affected by this kind of thing and that such negativity - even though he understands why it exists (he's basically apologized for his ubiquity and a sort of smugness he could be said to have displayed in the 80s) - can indeed send him spiraling downward. THAT'S why this petition fucking sucks, because it's a mean joke aimed at a vulnerable person who has openly declared himself to be such (although I'm sure he will survive this particular silliness). And I can't agree with the idea that just because he can be sensitive, this means he shouldn't have entered the entertainment industry at all - there are no psychological exams for this gig and the world would be denied a lot of wonderful art if it was left only to schoolyard bullies and savvy politicians to create it. It's one thing to say his music sucks (personally having seen him play Supper's Ready in 1977 he's got a Get Out Of Jail Free card from me for all eternity), but this thing is at another level and it's simply massively uncool.

Phil rules. Haters drool.

Phil's return?
    I agree...

It's Against All Odds"

well he did try to collaborate with Adele and that was a clusterfuck. Phil is a very talented guy and very successful guy so a huge target.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    THAT'S why this petition fucking sucks, because it's a mean joke aimed at a vulnerable person who has openly declared himself to be such

You make it sound like someone just bullied an 11 year old on Facebook. There is nothing in the joke that suggests anything mean. Phil Collins was HUGE in the 80s, still has tons of fans around the world, and knows he has put out great music with Genesis and solo.

I'm American, but I wonder if most who think this is a travesty are American and those who "get it" are British. Brits are far funnier than Yanks in general.

I suspect that the creators of this petition, along with large numbers of the public, have no Real substantive knowledge about PCs great musical contributions in the 1970s

I further suspect that he is seen by a large section of the population who see him as a proud Torie who wrote a lot of throwaway hits in very greedy times. Finally, I suspect a lot more people know about his fascination with the Alamo than with supperi's ready . Of which, that 1977 rendition is the definitive version for me.
    But 99% of the population doesn't know About that .

Listen, I like all kinds of twisted humor - IMO there's nothing in the construction of that petition which is funny enough on its merits to support the nastiness of it.

A lot of artists basically ARE 11-year-olds for eternity. And I'm not saying we all need to hold the guy's hand or clamoring for the removal of the petition or punishment of its author, just saying that I read it I winced, because for years Phil has shared quite a bit of his emotional state publicly, which isn't easy, and lately he's been feeling more love from the world, which is great and well-deserved (I can't think of too many other artists who've been a part of so much demonstrably wonderful music and caught so much flying hatred because he decided to do something different, for whatever reason. The Phil Collins hate is not just because of the music, there's absolutely a personal element to it, something about how unavoidable and glib he was, which makes it sting more). It just made me go "aw damn" when I read it because I think it's cool that he's putting himself out there, and then this thing hits. But whatever. I'm not saying we need to pat him on the head and say "good job" like he just came in second at the Special Olympics (to quote David Cross. The non-violin playing one), just saying I think it's a drag for various reasons. Done now, thanks for letting me vent.

The petition is just an Onion style "He must be stopped" aimed at the UN for chrissakes. This isn't a "thing" that "hits" -- it is a tiny spec in the music/internet world far smaller than the period at the end of this sentence.

Phil Collins is clearly not 11 years old for eternity. (I personally, think of him as a late 20s guy) If he has had suicidal thoughts, not exactly a rarity, I can't believe it is because he thinks a sliver of the world's population doesn't like his music. How does Barry Manilow survive? Wouldn't either the physical/psychological pain he had toward the end of drumming and maybe personal relations , etc had something to do with it.

Well that's all a part of it I'm sure. But some psyches are more fragile than others, and the anti-Phil brigade, when you're Phil, can probably feel like more than a sliver, especially when you're already prone to dark thoughts, self-recriminations etc. I'm not speculating here, he has said that the torrent of criticism has gotten to him, worn him down, made him feel that maybe he really was as worthless as so many people seemed to think - that's all on the record in various interviews, and that's the only reason why it made me sad to see the petition, even, yes, as ultimately meaningless as it is, because he's said that one lousy comment can send him spiraling. I will grant you that he's definitely not in the right business if he wants to be spared this sort of thing, I just - me, personally, just me over here - felt that the petition was a shame when I saw it, and wished (if you want to know how ridiculous I truly am) that there was some way to keep him from seeing the thing, but I've already seen it picked up by various news services, there is indeed a certain likelihood that he may have seen it, and as a musician and kind of a sensitive human myself, it made me say "awww shit. That's too bad." That's all really.

Guess I wasn't done, sorry

whatever it is--it's been done before and clearly it bothers him---he should let it roll off his back but it used to real hurt him.

With a little more than 1,500 signatures in a week, yes, it's been up for nearly a week, I find this "petition" to be rather amusing at best. Getting a kick out of the comments, which I doubt would upset Phil who's probably chuckling out loud at some of the jabs folks are taking at him. 1,500 against, millions for. There's no stopping Phil. And the world is a better place because of that.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Guess I wasn't done, sorry
    Mike, if I may...

I don't feel you should ever be 'done' in any thread here. Your input is valuable on these boards. Your professional résumé stands on its own. The amount of first-hand knowledge (in nearly every aspect of the music industry) is important and I'm glad you share your thoughts and opinions here at PE. It's refreshing to get your opinion, both as a fan of music, and as a pro musician. Keep on keepin' on here!!

P.S.--
    To this day, one of my favorite recording studio moments happened during the 'Dog' sessions in December 2003. Witnessing the writing and recording of "Lizard Tongue" was a highlight I often recount!