Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Record Cleaning Regimens

Record Cleaning Regimens

I thought it might be interesting, for those of us who occasionally indulge in vinyl fetishes, to discuss how we clean records.

To begin with I try not to let my records get too dirty in the first place -- always keep them in their sleeves, and if they're on the turntable the turntable lid is closed. However, most LPs will require a quick spiff-up before playing. Since I never could afford the megabuck$ record vacuuming systems, I use the old standard DiscWasher with a drop of D4 fluid on the pad, spread out with my fingertip then wiped on my shirt to make sure it is slightly DAMP but not wet enough to leave any liquid on the record. I rotate the album by hand a revolution or two, while picking up any dust (or cat hair!) off the record surface with the DiscWasher, rolling it forward as it slowly sweeps the surface. I clean it on my shirt every 1/4 revolution or so. (I have a high-intensity desk lamp over the turntable to illuminate it when cleaning.)

If the record is really dirty (this used to happen a lot when I bought used LPs), I'll sweep it first with my microfiber turntable brush. I forget who made mine -- there's no name on it -- but there are several similar brushes on the market. I sweep the record in the opposite direction of playing, digging it into the grooves to loosen whatever's packed into the grooves. This usually takes several revolutions before the sweeping comes up clean. Then I'll proceed to a DiscWasher clean as described above.

I have a ZeroStat gun (shown above, from DiscWasher) which I'll occasionally use on a brand-new staticy LP but it's rarely necessary, and not very effective. A good cleaning with the D4 fluid usually works better to remove cling-on dust-attracting static.

Last, I have a DiscWasher stylus brush which I put a drop of D4 on and sweep the stylus with (back to front) every few plays, or if I've just played a particularly dirty record.

These few procedures do a pretty good job of keeping my LPs as noise-free as possible. After a few disastrous attempts I learned never to wash LPs in the sink, or to use any kind of detergent trying to "clean" them. The residue was awful.

And of course you only handle LPs by their edges -- never touch the grooves.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-31-2015 at 01:49 PM.

I have my doubts that a "lint brush" like the below would do anything -- for one, I'd be really worried about leaving sticky residue, and second it wouldn't get down in the grooves where the dirt lodges. Anyone have any contrary experience?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    To begin with I try not to let my records get too dirty in the first place
    I think that is more or less all it takes. I have lots of records bought in the early 70s, which I have played a lot over the years and still play, and most of them have no background noise or pops or clicks. Most of those 40+ years old records have never been cleaned in any way and still sound like new or almost so. I bought an antistatic brush around ten years ago which I use if there's much dust on the records, but before that I didn't use any form of cleaning. I don't believe in using any form of liquid if the records aren't very dirty.

I've bought some used records that were really dirty. Those ones, I just cleaned in the sink with water and normal dishwashing liquid, making sure to rinse them properly afterwords. Works fine, as long as there's no mechanical damage to the records. Some used records I've bought sound terrible even after cleaning, though. Makes me wonder how people treat their records.

I read an article years ago where a guy went into a friends place and when his friend pulled out records to play they were all green. He asked him why and the guy replied he cleaned them with soap and water and they all turned green. Not sure if that's true or not. I've heard the best time to actually clean vinyl is when you're done playing it and right before you place it back in the protective sleeve to return it to the cover. The logic behind that was that dirt residue can harm the surface while placing it back in the sleeve. So a nice clean record put back in the sleeve ensures that the surface will not be damaged in anyway.

Suspended
    Reading this thread gives me no incentive to return to vinyl.

However... in my vinyl days my "regimen" consisted solely of a camel's hair brush, which I used to run over the grooves as the record was rotating prior to putting the stylus down. It seemed to do the job.

I've always used the felt brush with some drop of liquids, and in the last 20 years, I've also had a carbon-hair brush

Both are more than all I need

I clean the disc while spinning it on the turntable, then lower the stylus on the wax and close the t/t plexi cover

when finished, I store it straight back in its sleeve.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I let my dog lick it.

I know, it sounds nuts but a dog tounge is very soft and gentle and it will get every piece of lint and I think it might even act as as an anti-static. Of course, training her to go in the direction of the groove and not up and down- that was a bitch, no pun intended.

Suspended
    I let my cat scratch it.

Their claws are just the right thickness to get in the grooves and scoop out all the dust particles.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I let my cat scratch it.

Their claws are just the right thickness to get in the grooves and scoop out all the dust particles.
    I run my porcupine over it. It's much faster with all the quills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    That's fine for LPs, but you've got to use a hedgehog for 45s.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's OK for some, but not everyone has a porcupine readily to hand. It's not as if they grow on trees, you know.

I'll clean a record on my VPI record cleaning machine before I play it. Used records get cleaned on the VPI as soon I get them home.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I'll clean a record on my VPI record cleaning machine before I play it. Used records get cleaned on the VPI as soon I get them home.
    I've often wondered if expensive cleaning machines really are worth it. Is there scientific facts that a $200 machine cleans a record better than a cloth cleaner?

I started with the various liquid cleaners Discwash first then an off brand.. I always felt like the liquids would leave a residue on the vinyl.. Then I bought a device that you'd insert the record into it and the record would spin around with a blast of air supposedly cleaning the dust off.. I gave up on both and used the common sense approach.. if you did the basics like put the record back into the sleeve after each listening you didn't have much issue with dirt ever becoming an issue..

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's fine for LPs, but you've got to use a hedgehog for 45s.
    That won't work in California...hedgehogs are not legal to own here. Any other suggestions???

This stuff probably isn't practical for cleaning vinyl in large quantities, but for those LPs which really are important, it is absolutely sensational.

Definitely best to apply it at night and peel it the following day. Takes a while but works very well.

^^^^^^^^^
    I've heard of this being done with wood glue. Some people actually swear by it.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^
    I've heard of this being done with wood glue. Some people actually swear by it.

Suspended
    ^^^ Why not just use a blowtorch and be done with it?

Some of the cleaning suggestions in this thread are truly Pythonesque.

Ah - the bad old days.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I used wood glue once. Never again. It would not peel off in once piece. The glue shattered at the edges of the record, and I had little pieces of dried glue all over the place including on the record. What a job it was cleaning all that up.

Now I just wipe it on my sleeve.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I used wood glue once. Never again. It would not peel off in once piece. The glue shattered at the edges of the record, and I had little pieces of dried glue all over the place including on the record. What a job it was cleaning all that up.
    IMO, this kind of story his why Record Revirginizer is a better approach for this type of cleaning.

Of course, for more standard cleaning, there is nothing wrong with a gallon of distilled water and this:

http://www.amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-STA...record+cleaner

If you want to effectively clean records you need some kind of a wet component.

I use two different record cleaners.

1. Audio Desk Systeme Record Cleaner. It soaks the albums in an ultrasonic bath and then blow dries the album. Incredibly expensive but nothing does as good of a job.
    2. VPI 17 record cleaner. Its a vacuum type cleaner and does a very effective job.

The VPI is also expensive but a fraction of the cost of the Audio Desk. Typically I use it for pre-wash purposes. If I have a used grungy album I'll use Audio Intelligent #15 enzymatic cleaner to break down all the gunk. Once both sides have been cleaned I'll then put the album through one or two cycles with the Audio Desk.

Of course there are less expensive solutions to the problem but you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Of course there are less expensive solutions to the problem but you get what you pay for.
    Which explains the continued existence of redbook CD.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    That's OK for some, but not everyone has a porcupine readily to hand. It's not as if they grow on trees, you know.
    Good one.