Thread: Can - Soon Over Babaluma

Can - Soon Over Babaluma

No more Damo but he hardly seems missed here. Just before they moved to Virgin and still doing the 'direct to stereo' recording. IMO not as good as the previous three but still better than anything they did after. Your opinion?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

It' a good un, though as you say, a bit less so than the last few. The cut off point for the band's classic period, Monster Movie to Babaluma are all intriguing, everything after is mediocre with a handful of worthy tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    IMO not as good as the previous three but still better than anything they did after. Your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    everything after is mediocre with a handful of worthy tracks.
    Landed is the last of the classic LPs, imo.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Landed is robust!
    Love it!

This was recorded shortly before Babaluma was released but sounds closer to some of the stuff on Landed:

My favourite Can album. Haven't got everything they have done, so can't make a detailed comparison, but the side 2 combination of Chain Reaction and Quantum Physics is stunning. Can't quite put my finger on it, but the melodies, textures and how it is put together just feels so right.

Great album! My favorite. DON'T THROW ASHTRAYS AT ME
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Last of the classic period, imo. Intriguing, but rarely becomes as intoxicating as much of their best stuff. Great band, though. Future Days & Ege are my faves. Cool stuff occurred in nearly every era of this band!

I like it, but a little less than the ones before. Then again, Future Days is my very fave of theirs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Love this album. Ege is my all-time favorite, but Future Days and Babaluma are tied for second.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Then again, Future Days is my very fave of theirs.
    Mine as well; one of a kind album. Personally I would say SOB is nowhere near as good as FD but at the same time much better and 'classic' sounding than an album like Flow Motion.

Well, maybe it's only because this is the first Can album I heard/owned (bought soon after release), but I much prefer the post-Mooney/Suzuki albums. I had Tago Mago for several years, but finally sold it. In fact, I tried giving all of the early albums several chances, but I still don't like more than one track per album at most. I'm happy with Soon Over Babaluma through Saw Delight, the compilation Unlimited Edition, plus several Czukay solo albums and one solo album for each of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I like it, but a little less than the ones before. Then again, Future Days is my very fave of theirs.
    About what I think too. Future Days was my first and still my favorite too.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    No more Damo but he hardly seems missed here. Just before they moved to Virgin and still doing the 'direct to stereo' recording. IMO not as good as the previous three but still better than anything they did after. Your opinion?
    though Can's better albums are with Damo, I tend to prefer Mooney's vocals.

from Monster tp Future Days is IMHO their classic era, though Babaluma and Landed hace their moments...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.