Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened with The Verve?

[This reminds me of my experience with Radiohead, except that Radiohead seemed to do the opposite: they started off whiney and boring, and became interesting.]

That was the same thing with Talk Talk. I guess it does happen just as often when a band starts out different then goes pop.

So Jamiroquai is a band and not a curry. Cool, I got that part right. Also cool is no one else really knows who this band is. A few different answers and it's not often that PE gets stumped.

I'm actually too lazy to make a few clicks and find out. Or, I just possibly don't care.

Anyway, go back to the Verve, I've derailed this enough and it really isn't that interesting.

ETA: ....and that Paula Cole tune from Dawson's Creek.

Damn if some assholes aren't using that in a commercial. Oh, the humanity. Can't they think of the children, let alone the adults who have to hear that?

I'm gonna go chop my foot off, which will alleviate the pain of hearing that tune once again.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

Also, there was a Verve Pipe in addition to. Huh. Around the same time frame? That would make sense but how I heard of them is unknown to me. Another huh.
    This was The Verve Pipe's biggest hit:

Suspended
    The Verve.... thread about the Verve...

I, coincidentally, listened to the Verve's debut EP today after not hearing it for a long time. I highly recommend it.

I rather like the 90s Brit bands, the shoegazers, the Kinks/Beatles wannabes. The Verve's Northern Soul and Urban Hymns are solid albums.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I did enjoy The Verve back in the day, their first two albums had a good rock dynamic to them, and they were never just another Britpop band. They were unlucky with the negative publicity and having to give so much away on Bittersweet Symphony, as I understand it, the string sample was never a key Jagger/Richards composition to start with, but I'm not a Stones expert.

Jamiroquai (to close off that diversion) were most assuredly a UK band, lead by Jason Kay, who it has to be said made a huge success from it all. He may be familiar to any Top Gear fans, as he is a total petrolhead and used to sit at the top of their Star in a Reasonably priced Car Leaderboard for many a series. Their first two albums were pretty good, I lost touch thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    as I understand it, the string sample was never a key Jagger/Richards composition to start with, but I'm not a Stones expert.
    this/them; and andrew loog oldham.

They were pretty much a one album wonder in the UK.