Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Prog reference on Fargo

I love this show, great acting & characters, superb script and beautifully filmed - cant get enough of it.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I never put together the fact that young Molly was actually Officer Molly from season 1! Good stuff. Not the bang-up season finale that season 1 had, but still enjoyable and nicely written & acted.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

There was a rash of UFO sightings around Luverne MN in 1979, the year this supposedly takes place. The Coens and apparently Noah Hawley love random, inexplicable twists of fate and most think the UFO is part of that, the idea that there is always the possibility of something unpredictable happening.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    "Okay then!"

Truly we live in the Golden Age of drama TV, or more exactly: "Dramady"

Fargo 2.0 was everything that True Detective 2.0 was not.

I agree that the penultimate episode and the finale were at least a bit overshadowed by some of the other episodes. And as always in a TV season like this, the high bar of expectations are nearly impossible for any show to meet.

But I thought this finale did firmly tie up so much with just the simple montage of the Gearhardt dead, (including Dodd's traitorous daughter ruling out any Coen/John Turturro Miller's Crossing miracles) and a lot more.

I loved Hank's simple non UFO explanation for his office. I loved that Betsy did not die before her Lou returned.

I was not as thrilled with Mike Milligan's bland Selectric Typewriter future, even if I appreciate the Coen ironic reminder of some hapless sales dude and his useless idea that sparked off this entire crazy series of events.

Who was the guy that hired Hanzee? (I guess in the end, it really doesn't matter, the point was how badly he wanted to take his adoptive psycho family down).

As someone who watched one episode of Fargo 1.0 and bailed, I have never been more shocked to be wrong about a show. I can't wait to to binge watch 1.0 soon...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I was not as thrilled with Mike Milligan's bland Selectric Typewriter future, even if I appreciate the Coen ironic reminder of some hapless sales dude and his useless idea that sparked off this entire crazy series of events.
    The name of the episode was "Palindrome".
    Who was the guy that hired Hanzee?
    He was some guy who sold him a new identity. I could be wrong, but I don't think he was an established character.
    As someone who watched one episode of Fargo 1.0 and bailed, I have never been more shocked to be wrong about a show. I can't wait to to binge watch 1.0 soon...
    Keep the last few minutes of the last episode of S2 in mind while you watch.

Just finished season one this weekend. Truly a great show and the cast just kills it, especially the guy who plays Lester. Can’t wait for season two to be released in Germany (a country light years from producing something as entertaining as Fargo, Boardwalk Empire or even House of Cards).
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Truly a great show and the cast just kills it, especially the guy who plays Lester.
    That's Martin Freeman, who many will know as Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit movies, and as Dr. Watson in the BBC Sherlock series. Great actor!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's Martin Freeman, who many will know as Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit movies, and as Dr. Watson in the BBC Sherlock series. Great actor!
    He's also a narrator for Fargo:S2, though not in Lester's voice.

I crack up just thinking about Lester. That’s an Oscar right there!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Early in season 2 there's a guy (Skip) who seems to be in the Jerry / Lester mold, but let's just say they don't really develop his character.

I crack up just thinking about Lester. That’s an Oscar right there!
    Not sure they started giving Oscars to TV actors.

From wiki:

The first season, starring Billy Bob Thornton, Allison Tolman, Colin Hanks, and Martin Freeman was met with considerable acclaim.[2] It won the Emmy Awards for Outstanding Miniseries, Outstanding Directing and Outstanding Casting, and received fifteen additional nominations including Outstanding Writing, another Outstanding Directing nomination, and acting nominations for Thornton, Tolman, Hanks, and Freeman. It also won the Golden Globe Award for Best Miniseries or Television Film for its first season as well as Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film for Thornton.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    From wiki:

The first season, starring Billy Bob Thornton, Allison Tolman, Colin Hanks, and Martin Freeman was met with considerable acclaim.[2] It won the Emmy Awards for Outstanding Miniseries, Outstanding Directing and Outstanding Casting, and received fifteen additional nominations including Outstanding Writing, another Outstanding Directing nomination, and acting nominations for Thornton, Tolman, Hanks, and Freeman. It also won the Golden Globe Award for Best Miniseries or Television Film for its first season as well as Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film for Thornton.
    From wiki:
    The Academy Awards, or "Oscars", is an annual American awards ceremony honoring cinematic achievements in the film industry.

Just finished season one this weekend. Truly a great show and the cast just kills it, especially the guy who plays Lester. Can’t wait for season two to be released in Germany (a country light years from producing something as entertaining as Fargo, Boardwalk Empire or even House of Cards).
    Season 2 is a lot different than season 1. They don't have anything in common since it takes place 27 years earlier. I did like season 2 better.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Season 2 is a lot different than season 1. They don't have anything in common since it takes place 27 years earlier. I did like season 2 better.
    It actually has 3 characters in common: molly and lou Solverson and one other one that is much more difficult to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    It actually has 3 characters in common: molly and lou Solverson and one other one that is much more difficult to figure out.
    And two more, in the final scene with that same character in S2.

And outside of the storyline, there were a lot of similarities in the way it was shot. I loved both seasons, excellent TV.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Season 2 was more Coenesque than the first, has a lot of CB movie references. The whole vibe of season 2 reminded me a lot of No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    But the actual story line has nothing in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And two more, in the final scene with that same character in S2.
    Wow, I hadn't picked that up until I watched it again. So, I guess 5 characters from Season 1 appeared in Season 2 although these two individuals had what I would call a cameo.

The main story lines are distinct but S1 alludes to things in the past that S2 fleshed out, and S2 has quite a bit of foreshadowing for S1.

In S1, there are definite references to things that happened in the past. I don't remember exactly, but I believe that Lou (in S1) references the "massacre at Sioux Falls" on more than one occasion (it's certainly mentioned enough that I clearly remembered that going into S2).

The show is coming back for S3...I don't know if the cast has been confirmed yet, but it is supposed to jump back to modern day and will likely bring back characters from S1.

Hawley says S3 will take place a couple years after S1. He is not confirming which characters will return.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Hawley says S3 will take place a couple years after S1. He is not confirming which characters will return.
    Maybe Molly and her husband and his daughter.