Thread: AAJ Review, THRAK BOX: King Crimson Live and Studio Recordings 1994-1997

AAJ Review, THRAK BOX: King Crimson Live and Studio Recordings 1994-1997

My review of King Crimson's THRAK BOX: King Crimson Live and Studio Recordings 1994-1997, today at All About Jazz.

After three years spent extensively focusing on its 1972-'74 lineup--documented over a massive 67 CDs, DVDs and Blu Rays (plus some additional downloads) on Larks' Tongues in Aspic (40th Anniversary Series Box) (Panegyric, 2012); The Road to Red (Panegyric, 2013); and Starless (Panegyric, 2014)--King Crimson turns the clock ahead 20 years to an almost completely different lineup, a radically different sound and a far more unwieldy six-piece incarnation dubbed "the double trio" on THRAK BOX: King Crimson Live and Studio Recordings 1994-1997. Like its predecessors, the box is part of the group's ongoing 40th Anniversary Series, which began in 2009 with the release of new stereo and surround sound mixes of the progressive rock progenitor's earth-shattering 1969 debut, In the Court of the Crimson King , its highly influential 1975 studio swan song for the '72-'74 group, Red and the divisive album that series remixer (until now) Steven Wilson dubbed "the album that stereo couldn't contain," 1970's now more recognized classic, Lizard. As usual, alongside the box sets come CD/DVD-a sets with the new mixes, original mixes, and a smaller collection of bonus material.

Unlike the three boxes from the past three years, however, THRAK BOX was constructed with a different purpose in mind. Those previous boxes--while each containing the studio (or more accurately, in the case of Road to Red, studio/live conglomeration) or live album that was its core raison d'être--focused more heavily on live recordings: largely audio only and ranging from low to high fidelity, and sourced from audience bootleg cassettes, soundboard recordings and full, professional multi-track tapes.

Recording technology had come a long way, in terms of portability, ease and cost in the two decades separating the '72-'74 lineup from the double trio that expanded the '80s Crimson lineup of guitarist Robert Fripp, guitarist/vocalist Adrian Belew, bassist/Stick player Tony Levin and electro-acoustic drummer/percussionist Bill Bruford with two younger newcomers: Stick/Warr guitarist Trey Gunn and another electro-acoustic drummer/percussionist, Pat Mastelotto. Both newcomers came to the group through associations with Fripp: his Guitar Craft classes and/or the King Crimson co-founder's collaboration with singer/songwriter David Sylvian on 1993's The First Day and/or its live follow-up, '94's Damage. Every note the group made was recorded...and in high fidelity. Releasing a box like the Larks' Tongues box--which included every known note played by the band (more to the point: every known note recorded by the group, which was far from all-inclusive)--would not just be an absurdly oversized box that would dwarf those that came before, it would have served no real purpose.

Continue reading here...

NOTE: for the first time, this review of one of Crimson's 40th Anniversary Series releases includes an interview with album surround and new stereo mixer Jakko M. Jakszyk, shedding more light on the remix process.

Hmmm. A radically remixed Thrak sounds appealing. Hopefully this shows up in the mailbox soon.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Very excited for mine to arrive! That review isn't helping my patience though. Nicely written and fantastic detail as usual.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Very excited for mine to arrive! That review isn't helping my patience though. Nicely written and fantastic detail as usual.
    Thanks....and, I suppose, I owe you an apology too, so sorry!!

So there I was, smugly thinking "See - I'm not an addict! There's a King Crimson box out that I'm not going to get - it's really not that interesting to me. No sir, don't need it, don't want it."

Then I read the review, went to Burning Shed and ordered the fucking thing.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    So there I was, smugly thinking "See - I'm not an addict! There's a King Crimson box out that I'm not going to get - it's really not that interesting to me. No sir, don't need it, don't want it."

Then I read the review, went to Burning Shed and ordered the fucking thing.
    Once again, I apologize profusely to you, your family, your family's future family and everything that comes from that for destroying your income stream.....
    Last edited by jkelman; 10-25-2015 at 10:10 PM.

Boxes like these are why I elected not to have kids

Mine should arrive this week from Burning Shed...great review, definitely helps get me jazzed for its arrival

I'm actually even more curious now, based on your take of Jakko's remix.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Great review, I think I'll check the new mix out when the box arrives. I'm normally loathe to hear new mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

Mine should arrive this week from Burning Shed...great review, definitely helps get me jazzed for its arrival

I didnt get that memo... lol At least my oldest is into music like me.

Well, I know some folks really don't like these remixes. But like Lizard, which was an absolute demystifying of a supremely dense record, so, too, is Jakko's remix a revelation for THRAK. Folks may not agree when they hear it, but all I can say is I am not married to original mixes...especially when they are still available to me anyway, so I can listen to both anytime I please!

Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Great review, I think I'll check the new mix out when the box arrives. I'm normally loathe to hear new mixes.
    Well, it depends. It will, as I said, demystify a lot about who does what, and for me, that really makes a difference. It loses none of its power or subtlety...the individual parts are just far more clearly delineated. And some of Jakko's choices for addition, like Fripp's silky fills in "Dinosaur," really should have been there in the first place, IMO.

Cheers!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Well, I know some folks really don't like these remixes. But like Lizard, which was an absolute demystifying of a supremely dense record, so, too, is Jakko's remix a revelation for THRAK. Folks may not agree when they hear it, but all I can say is I am not married to original mixes...especially when they are still available to me anyway, so I can listen to both anytime I please!

Enjoy!!
    Yeah, see...I'm with you. I still have my original THRAK CD; if I want to hear the album as I first hear it, that's where I'll go.

I didn't buy this box to re-hear what I've already heard...I'm excited to hear a new "viewpoint" as well as new stuff like ATTAKcATHRAK, Jurassic Thrak and Max VROOOM. Plus, no two KC shows are alike so it'll be great to hear a few new live goodies from this sextet
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yeah, see...I'm with you. I still have my original THRAK CD; if I want to hear the album as I first hear it, that's where I'll go.

I didn't buy this box to re-hear what I've already heard...I'm excited to hear a new "viewpoint" as well as new stuff like ATTAKcATHRAK, Jurassic Thrak and Max VROOOM. Plus, no two KC shows are alike so it'll be great to hear a few new live goodies from this sextet
    But if you want the 2002 remaster of the original THRAK mix, it's in this box...so you could, potentially, turf the original one unless you're a guy who keeps multiple versions (in a two-bedroom condo, I cannot afford to!).....

Cheers!
    John

But if you want the 2002 remaster of the original THRAK mix, it's in this box...so you could, potentially, turf the original one unless you're a guy who keeps multiple versions (in a two-bedroom condo, I cannot afford to!).....

Cheers!
    John
    If I was *that* worried about space, I'd be skipping on the deluxe edition and just sticking with my nice tiny single disc version

But yeah...if it has the '02 remaster then certainly, I can unload my existing copy after a while.

Enjoy!!
    I'm the same - give me a new mix - it can certainly create a whole new experience - AND like you said - I can always toss on the original. We win either way.

But yeah...if it has the '02 remaster then certainly, I can unload my existing copy after a while.
    It does. On CD and in high res...

I do worry about space, being in a 2-bedroom condo (I assume you're in a house, yes?) but we just renovated, i moved a lot of my CDs to vinyl sleeves and so I've actually got my small office now set up with one large shelf unit for my ECM collection (no vinyls for those!!), two large shelves units for box sets etc and four small shelve units that contain a total of 36 boxes, currently alphabetized by letter but not alphabetized within (that's the next big job...this is a massive undertaking, as you can imagine), and excluding the box sets and ECMs, Ive room in the boxes for somewhere between 9,000 and 10,500 CDs.

Which had better last the rest of my life or my wife will leave me

Of course, in just under two years when she started going classical voice crazy, she has purchased about 500 CDs herself...so she can no longer complain.

But we try to make the place NOT look like either a man cave or a CD/Blu Ray/CD store....so far, so good. Just wrapped up getting all the boxes into the shelves so my office is now back to being officially usable. I have already done some pretty significant paring back of material and I know when I alphabetize within, the same will happen. Problem is, I'm accumulated legacy and new prog at a frightening rate (along with high res stuff) because of the prog book...I'll not likely keep all of it when I'm done, but for the next few years, I'll need it all...and more.

But I think I can still manage it!!
    Cheers!
    John

I'm unclear about Jakko's "additions" to the mix; how many of these are there, and were these simply unused original elements or recent overdubs? I was also dismayed to read his quote about pitch-correcting, etc.!

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    I'm unclear about Jakko's "additions" to the mix; how many of these are there, and were these simply unused original elements or recent overdubs? I was also dismayed to read his quote about pitch-correcting, etc.!
    First, there are no recent overdubs. Any additional elements were on the original multi-tracks. Second, if he did any pitch correcting (such as a guitar where, say, a strings was slightly out of tune), what's the harm? We're not talking about auto tuning voices or anything so obvious. I would challenge you to actually find the correction(s).

As for the additional elements? This is a new mix, and the elements I heard (like Fripp's contributions to "Dinosaur") are great.

Again, the original mix, 2002 remaster, is in the box (in high res), so if you prefer it you've still got it - except now yin both CD quality and high res.

Jakko's mix is an alternate view of the record. It still very much sounds like THRAK, so never fear;it's not as if there are a ton of new elements...and the ones added are, IMO, done tastefully. But if you don't like it there's still plenty to be found on CD and higher resolution media..and in the entire box.

But for me, the new mix is now my preferred one, after listening to both probably 20 times, back-to-back, while prepping to write this review. If I may respectfully recommend: (a) not getting worried/upset until you've heard it; and (b) try not treating the original mix as sacrosanct...after all, Fripp was initimately involved and loved the new mix also. Consider it as an altermative mix rather than a new mix, and give it a chance. Jakko has not done anything to destroy anything of what the original THRAK was/is. He's created greater clarity & delineation; carefully (and seamlessly) fixed a handful of small issues; and, finally, added some new elements where he felt they fit. As he said, what value would there be in just reproducing the original mix? But this album demanded a more radical approach, as did Lizard. After hearing the new THRAK, I have to say I agree with Jakko and Robert's choices wholeheartedly.
    Cheers,
    John

K
    Cheers,
    John

First, there are no recent overdubs. Any additional elements were on the original multi-tracks. Second, if he did any pitch correcting (such as a guitar where, say, a strings was slightly out of tune), what's the harm? We're not talking about auto tuning voices or anything so obvious. I would challenge you to actually find the correction(s).

As for the additional elements? This is a new mix, and the elements I heard (like Fripp's contributions to "Dinosaur") are great.

Again, the original mix, 2002 remaster, is in the box (in high res), so if you prefer it you've still got it - except now yin both CD quality and high res.

Jakko's mix is an alternate view of the record. It still very much sounds like THRAK, so never fear;it's not as if there are a ton of new elements...and the ones added are, IMO, done tastefully. But if you don't like it there's still plenty to be found on CD and higher resolution media..and in the entire box.

But for me, the new mix is now my preferred one, after listening to both probably 20 times, back-to-back, while prepping to write this review. If I may respectfully recommend: (a) not getting worried/upset until you've heard it; and (b) try not treating the original mix as sacrosanct...after all, Fripp was initimately involved and loved the new mix also. Consider it as an altermative mix rather than a new mix, and give it a chance. Jakko has not done anything to destroy anything of what the original THRAK was/is. He's created greater clarity & delineation; carefully (and seamlessly) fixed a handful of small issues; and, finally, added some new elements where he felt they fit. As he said, what value would there be in just reproducing the original mix? But this album demanded a more radical approach, as did Lizard. After hearing the new THRAK, I have to say I agree with Jakko and Robert's choices wholeheartedly.
    Cheers,
    John

K
    Cheers,
    John

Along with the live material, this explains EXACTLY why I sprung for this box set! I've listened to the original for 20 years now, so if there are nuances available that were buried before, then all the more reason to purchase this. Musicians are limited by time, money, and technology at the time they record and they release what they can. More power to you if you can go back later and issue what you could call an "enhanced" version.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion