Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Modern Blues Rock Bands

Planet of the Abts - Down for the Count (All Things the Valley/2015)

i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They are country rock.
    Wiki says both

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry_Smoke

^^ Well, they get airplay on country stations. My buddy won free tickets to see them last year. After we researched their music and saw their videos, it was clear to us they were country rock. We threw the tickets away.

I'm not looking to argue, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ Well, they get airplay on country stations. My buddy won free tickets to see them last year. After we researched their music and saw their videos, it was clear to us they were country rock. We threw the tickets away.

You missed a good band and a bunch of super nice dudes as well: I had the pleasure of meeting them back in 2011 and 2012: I was playing bass for a regional guy that was being touted for national status. We met them in Gainesville, Fla. sharing a bill (and wound up doing a few shows with them) -- what a bunch of great guys -- real laid back, no attitudes....The first time we met at the Gainesville show, I sat with the lead guitarist for awhile and he was introducing me to his effects setup he was doing off his iPhone (iRig, I think) --- no biggie now but five years ago that technology was still relatively new and i appreciated him giving me a crash course on it....edit: The keyboard player has this big Hammond B3 until youre up close and realize it isnt a B3 but just the shell of one with a Yamaha keyboard mounted inside of it
    Last edited by klothos; 11-15-2016 at 02:44 PM.

^^ Yeah, they seem like a nice bunch and look like they have a lot of fun. But, there was NO WAY my buddy was going to go. Even if there were probably plenty of hot chicks in tight jeans.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This sure ain't blues. Not exactly Americana either.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just found this one on iTunes, released Oct 7, 2016; Marcus King Band. Fantastic! Haynes, Trucks & others, guesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have their live album and although there is some country to some of their material to me they are a Southern Rock band all the way. Very talented guys IMO. I don’t like everything they do, but enjoy a lot of it.

Banned
    Hard Days s/t, released November 14, 2016

Bandcamp link

Favourite track: Hot Wheels
    Last edited by Svetonio; 11-16-2016 at 03:03 AM.

Snowy White made a couple of blues albums that are killer.

Orcopian
    I saw the Laurence Jones band on Saturday, they were excellent, he is certainly a name to look out for, only 24 but is an excellent player, good vocals, Good showman and with a top class band backing him. He had a 500 plus audience in the palm of his hand, I was very impressed. He was also presented with some blues awards before the show ( he was headlining a blues festival in Hereford). His new album produced by Mike vernon is really good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Snowy White made a couple of blues albums that are killer.
    I saw Snowy White's blues band a few years back at a club gig, they were superb and he had an absolutely killer tone. It was great to see such a classy player up close.