Thread: FEATURED CD - Man On Fire : Habitat

FEATURED CD - Man On Fire : Habitat

Per the world's best prog reviewer :
    Several reviewers Have listened to Habitat and immediately pronounced it to be a mediocre effort. Yet after repeated spins, those same reviewers are now lavishing high praise on the album. So if you take nothing else from this review, take this message: You really have to listen to this many times over before formulating an opinion.

Habitat is a concept album with a difference: It describes the lives and events of the people living within one city block. And a diverse block it must be, with penthouses and offices and tenements. As the band puts it, 'Twelve tracks, ten lives, one block'. Point is - within that context, there's plenty of scope for a diverse set of songs depicting a huge range of emotions, events and lifestyles - and it all hangs together under both musically and thematically. Kudos to Man On Fire for the imaginative idea and the unconventional music, and to Steve Carroll's rich lyrics that describe it all so effectively.

Musically, Habitat is somewhat different from the band's previous CD. It is far more assertive, yet there are subtleties and complexities throughout. It's been described as power-pop - but that's unfair. Yes, it has incredible melodic hooks, and yes, some songs are fairly approachable, but keep listening. There are all the time signature and tempo shifts, recurring themes, varied instrumentation and thematic complexities you'll find in the best of the genre. Adrian Belew (King Crimson, David Bowie, Talking Heads) and Davis Ragsdale (Kansas, Smashing Pumpkins) add guitar and violin lines respectively that add important textures to the music, and rather than simply putting on the occasional cameo performance of a guest artist, their contributions are woven into almost every component of the record.

Founding member Eric Sands's fretless bass is less prominent than it was onThe Undefined Design, but it is still features strongly and students of that instrument would do well to study Sands. Frontman and keyboardist Jeff Hodges is clearly in control here, and his vocals are strong and confident, and somewhat unusual. He sings in a relatively high-pitched voice delivered with a belligerence that suits the cynicism called for by many of the lyrics. Several choral pieces and the varied instrumentation keep your interest throughout, and the piece is punctuated with sound samples that advance the concept of each song. These snippets are tastefully short, though, and consequently do not get in the way of multiple listens.

"What The Canvas Hides" is a favorite - not only because of the liberal doses of Ragsdale's violin, but also for the incredible catchy, lilting theme that takes over about halfway through. This piece alone will have you nodding your head and reaching for the replay button. Listen to Belew's guitarwork in "Street Game". No soaring gymnastics a la the guitar gods of today. It's a subtle, melodic piece that could easily fit onto an early '70s Cantebury piece, yet his solos are so tightly integrated into the music here that it's hard to believe he hasn't been playing with the band for years. The sign of a master. "Never Lost" is a soft, appealing ballad driven by a prominent bass and that Ragsdale violin line permeating every passage.

So listen to Habitat, and listen again - and again. And when one of these tunes runs through your head consistently while you're walking through an airport or driving your car or simply sitting around idly, you'll know you've been hooked.

Oh - and if you get a chance to see Man On Fire live, do so. They're as tight as a drum, and their live show is a rewarding experience.
    This and 4 other reviews here:
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=2383

Regards,

Duncan

I became aware of the music of Man On Fire when I read that Eric Sands was very much influenced by Mick Karn. And although this band makes music that is not comparable with Karn's or any other band he played in, it's clear that if you love Karn's bass-playing you'll also dig Sands' style.
    I have all the Man On Fire-albums (plus the cover-album "Undercover" on which the band performes Japan's "Visions Of China"), but I find it hard to pick up a favourite.

Let's get some high energy Adrian Belew-centric tracks in this thread:

And a mellower one with David Ragsdale and Adrian Belew:

Jon Neudorf
    Love this band. Just the right amount of quirkiness to keep it interesting.

Cheers,
    Jon

I remember seeing them at ROSfest. I thought the show was excellent and I need to find this CD at home and crank it on up. Good stuff.

I got this based on the track The Block from a sampler, unfortunatley that tune and the song Broken are the only two that really did anything for me. I'm not sure why Ragsdale's violin playing annoys me on here but it does. I'm probably too hard on 70 minute concept albums but this is one I have a hard time getting into.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I also saw them at Rosfest. I have not listened to the album for a while, but I do have Love Never Lost on various playlists and it gets a lot of play. I just think its a great ballad, regardless of genre.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

According a post from last year on their facebook-page (which mentions this thread!) the band is working on a new album...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    They were on a different label when they did this one. That other label had several prog acts and nearly all of them had David Ragsdale guesting on them. I use to jokingly post "Free David Ragsdale!" whenever the other Sean would post... is he still around?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    They were on a different label when they did this one. That other label had several prog acts and nearly all of them had David Ragsdale guesting on them. I use to jokingly post "Free David Ragsdale!" whenever the other Sean would post... is he still around?
    Technically this one was jointly released on PRR through 10 Tornado Entertainment, which morphed shortly thereafter into 10T Records. And I believe MOF was the first of the PRR-related bands to feature Ragsdale, who was also featured on the band's previous release, "The Undefined Design," 2 years prior to "Habitat."

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    That's what his web page is for....guest work. He stays busy.