Thread: Gentle Giant song "Heroes No More"

Gentle Giant song "Heroes No More"

This song was placed on Civilian as a bonus track. It sounds like a demo track. I wonder if anyone has any information about it.
    Its one of my favorite GG tracks. I wonder if it was one of the last tracks to be worked on. Just curious.

I think I heard they lost the masters for this one and only had a cassette reference version to source this bonus track.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I think I heard they lost the masters for this one and only had a cassette reference version to source this bonus track.
    I believe that later pressings of the Civilian CD have a version from the masters. I only have the cassette one though.

I only have CIVILIAN on vinyl and on the CD twofer with Playing the Fool, so I've never heard this track, although I've heard a lot about it. Guess it's time to check it out.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Of course the only cd not available on itunes is Civilian.

I'm curious now to know if that is the cassette version or the master tape version.

"U.S. version of their last studio album with a remastered version of the bonus track 'Heroes No More' (inferior U.K.copies included a muddled sounding version of it), taken from the original master tapes & supplied by Ray Shulman himself! Originally released "

Copied from Amazon entry.

I have this one on a pirate Civilian CD. Typical late GG tune, a hard rock song. Goes like this

Such a great song. I think this is the cleaned up version. The one I have has more hiss in it.

The version I have isn't a demo, but a normal studio quality.

My CD is the Terrapin Trucking version reissued in 1994. The title of the track is simply called "Heroes". The booket says "Sadly, the original master of 'Heroes' has been lost, so a cassette copy has been used..."

Sounds like they found it and inlcuded the studio version on subsequent reissues. It was supposed to be on the original vinyl but was excluded due to time constraints.

If you're going to get this CD and want the clean copy of the tune, I'd avoid the Terrapin Trucking version!

Nice track Heroes

Sounds like they found it and inlcuded the studio version on subsequent reissues. It was supposed to be on the original vinyl but was excluded due to time constraints.
    Strange they made that decicion, since it was a short album-- They could have put it on Side 1 and it still would only have been about 20 mins.

My CD is the Terrapin Trucking version reissued in 1994. The title of the track is simply called "Heroes". The booket says "Sadly, the original master of 'Heroes' has been lost, so a cassette copy has been used..."

If you're going to get this CD and want the clean copy of the tune, I'd avoid the Terrapin Trucking version!
    Yes, the CD with "Heroes No More" from the master is on the One Way label. I could be wrong, but I think later reissues dropped the song altogether.

Great song, BTW. I can't imagine why it was left off the album. And I'm not buying the "time constraints" excuse, as the total time on the CD INCLUDING the track is 37 minutes.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Yes, the CD with "Heroes No More" from the master is on the One Way label. I could be wrong, but I think later reissues dropped the song altogether.

Great song, BTW. I can't imagine why it was left off the album. And I'm not buying the "time constraints" excuse, as the total time on the CD INCLUDING the track is 37 minutes.
    Right before the song starts there's a dab, as if somebody dropped a pickup on a record, and then goes the song. I believe the first CD edition of Civilian was in 90s, and the song was issued in same sound quality, as the other songs of the album. Probably later they lost the master tape, who knows.
    I too don't understand, why they left this song off. IMO it's far better than It's Not Imagination, I Am A Camera, and some other songs from Civilian.

I like this song. In fact I think it's better than some of the songs that are on Civilian(such as the opening track "convenience" which I think is just ok).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)