Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Cory Wells of Three Dog Night

R.I.P. Cory Wells of Three Dog Night

“It is with deep sadness and disbelief that I must report the passing of Cory Wells, my beloved band mate for over 45 years,” announced Danny Hutton of Three Dog Night. “Cory was an incredible singer – a great performer, he could sing anything.”

Full announcement here: http://threedognight.com/cory-wells-mourned/

Among hits Wells sang lead on are "Eli's Coming" (No. 10, 1969), "Mama Told Me Not to Come" (No. 1, 1970) and "Shambala" (No. 3, 1973). Sad to hear - I really enjoyed these guys as a kid in the 70s. I haven't listened to them in a while - need to rectify that.

BUMMER. I always loved his voice. All great singers, but he was the most soulful. RIP Cory.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Wow, I was just thinking of him while riding my bike yesterday...strange

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Cory.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Suspended
    I guess I never realised the band had more than one member that did lead vocals. My favourite TDN songs are Easy To Be Hard (from "Hair") and Out In the Country. Did he sing on those?

They were interpreters of other people's songs, of course, so my feelings for the band largely depended upon their choice of song.

"Easy To Be Hard" was sung by Chuck Negron. "Out In The Country" was sung by all three of the main singers (Chuck Negron, Cory Wells, and Danny Hutton)

Just off the top of my head, the songs Cory sang the lead vocals on were "Never Been To Spain", "Mama Told Me Not To Come", "Shambala", "Sure As I'm Sittin' Here", and a brilliant cover of Otis Redding's "Try A Little Tenderness":

(Also, you can see the late Jimmy Greenspoon on organ/keyboards).
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 10-22-2015 at 04:17 AM.

I was never into 3DN enough to know who the lead singer was on all those hits but I see now that Cory Wells sang lead on most of those huge, radio hits way back when. Who sang lead on "Jeremiah was a bulldog?" Was that Chuck Negron? Anyway, R.I.P.

Yeah, Joy To The World was Chuck Negron.

I saw the band live 3 times in the summer of 1982 when they briefly reformed with the original line-up minus bassist Joe Schermie (who later passed away in 2002). They played in the Agora Ballrooms in both Akron and Cleveland, Ohio, and boy were those FANTASTIC shows! Talk about a band who can really bring it live, it was Three Dog Night. They could reproduce the sound of their records very well live, and the vocalists were spot-on. The showstopper in all three of the performances I witnessed was Cory's rendition of "Try A Little Tenderness", which never failed to bring down the house. RIP, Cory Wells, he of the soulful voice.

Definitely a slice of my early teen radio days....RIP Cory Wells.

Always loved these guys. "One" (sung by Chuck, but written by Harry Nilsson) was my first favorite song by any band. But, Cory, MAN could he sing! Definitely the bluesiest of the three and oh that version of "Try a Little Tenderness!" These guys should be in the R&R HOF if record sales have anything to do with it (21 top 40 hits in a five-year span). They sold more records than any band in the world between 1970 and 73. And they really had a knack for choosing songs to record and helped put a few great writers on the map.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Never much cared for TDN, but Wells was a pretty decent singer. RIP........
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I think he was polish and Cory wasn't his real name but none the less he had a great voice. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I think he was polish and Cory wasn't his real name but none the less he had a great voice. RIP
    Born in Buffalo, NY as Emil Lewandowski.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    BUMMER. I always loved his voice. All great singers, but he was the most soulful. RIP Cory.

QFT!

Bob

TDN beams me back to 2nd grade with an AM radio on my night table.

RIP Cory
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Saw them live when they only had one or two albums out, at the Hemisfair Arena in San Antonio. Still have some of the original 45 RPM singles. Love their renditions of "Liar" , "Out in the Country" and several others. Must admit I lost interest by the time "Joy to the World" was big.

I think the guitarist, Mike Allsup, was very good. Loved 3DN! Captured Live at the Forum is one of the greatest live albums ever! Greenspoon's autobiography is an inteesting read, too.

Had Golden Bisquits and wore it out. Listened to them long after their prime but they meant a great deal to my musical education. Heavy church, Fire. RIP Cory.
    The older I get, the better I was.

First rock band I ever saw with an African American in it. So cool.
    The older I get, the better I was.

The band was top-notch, but were over-shadowed by the three singers. Some of the song intros were really cool.

Chuck Negron, former co-lead vocalist with Three Dog Night posted this tribute:

A Letter To Cory Wells

you might think that something that happened almost fifty years ago might be
    vague or possibly inconsequential at this moment in your life, but that is not the case with my memories of Cory Wells.
    It's 1967 our first live gig at The Earl Warren Show Grounds in Santa Barbara Ca. The show began unceremoniously and awkwardly for the three lead singers. While finding our way on stage searching for a persona, an identity, to complement each other ...Cory begins to dance all over the stage engaging the audience making it very clear to me, and probably Danny, that he and I better loosen up and create some excitement on stage not only with our voices but with a physicality designed to excite.
    Cory created that mind set and ultimately how Three Dog Night would present itself. We followed his lead and became the most exciting rock band in the world.
    There was a calm and tolerant side of Cory that he exhibited in uncomfortable and stressful situations.it was possibly one of the best sides of his personality along with his sense of humor.
    I loved so much about you and those special things are how I choose to remember you.
    Save me a seat in the choir my old friend.
    Chuck

And then a little later:

Just a note to say I've been thinking about Cory on and off all day. I can't get use to the fact that I won't ever see him again and that TDN will never reunite and I will never sing with Cory again.
    God bless Mary Jane, Cory Ann, and Dawn. RIP Cory!

Very touching. Thanks for posting!