Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update from Steven Wilson re: upcoming remixes

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I have a bunch of live Hackett, plus his live archives he released a few years back. I have enough live material to keep me happy
    Well yeah, I would imagine it to be that case for many here. The people here on this board are "military", not "civilians "

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I would/could never buy any of these mega-boxes that are coming out but Steven Wilson's quote in the first post here suggests the Steve Hackett set is doing very well indeed. He had good sales on Wolflight, the GTR Esoteric re-release is selling well (Vicky has confirmed this here) and now this. It does feel like there's a wider audience for his solo work than there was before he did the Genesis Revisited II album and tour, which is nice.
    I am a huge Hackett fan and wish him all the success in the world. I am seeing him live in November, but I have all this material, just too big an expense for me.

Banned
    I didn't buy all Hackett's material and ordered the box from LasersEdge, the best deal for me.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    I'm pretty busy with my own music and touring for the time being, but there's been some very exciting invitations coming in to remix more classic artists...

Well. let's see....

Mr. Wilson has worked on albums by two of the holy triumvirate of UK prog (King Crimson and Yes) and has been working lately with with Steve Hackett.

So, um, would it be too much to extrapolate that at least one of the "very exciting invitations" that Mr. Wilson is hinting at might be...... ahem...... G E N E S I S ??? They do sort of have a somewhat messy CD reissue catalogue with those boxes that came out about 10 years ago.

A good solid CD + 5.1 DVD/BluRay reissue of all of their albums -- just like what has been done with the 40th Anniversary KC and Yes reissues -- from Trespass to at least Seconds Out would be fantastic. Hopefully, a new live album could be put together with professional-grade concert recordings made during the Lamb / Gabriel era. I doubt that From Genesis To Revelation would be worth revisiting.

If Mr. Wilson continued working his magic on the Genesis catalogue with And Then There Were Three onwards until one of their albums from the 90s, I guess that would work for some people, just not me.

Wilson has gone on record as preferring solo Hackett to Genesis. But yes, the 5.1 mixes of those Gabriel albums were somewhat 'blink and you'll miss it'...and Nick Davis' work was far more controversial than Wilson's.

They don't own the rights to From Genesis To Revelation. It could do with a remix but that'll never happen.

I really don't expect SW to be invited to remix the Genesis 1970s catalogue. This would amount to spitting in Nick Davis' face and as far as I know, he's still their preferred engineer, however much some of us have complained about the shortcomings of his work and the extreme ear fatigue it has generated.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Wilson has gone on record as preferring solo Hackett to Genesis...

Maybe *just maybe* Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford are once again feeling a bit dissatisfied about the last go-around with the remastered reissues and would like to see a better legacy defined for Genesis.

It's also certainly quite plausible that Steven W. could be gearing up for some multi-disc deluxe massaging of the Peter Gabriel catalogue -- if the Genesis thing doesn't occur. Other than that, it could be something that nobody is expecting, like a major Deep Purple reconstruction project.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I really don't expect SW to be invited to remix the Genesis 1970s catalogue. This would amount to spitting in Nick Davis' face...

Well, in that case, I'll formally withdraw my prognostication on Genesis reworkings.

My deprived-prog-album-reissue radar is now back in scan mode.

Well, it's true that of the more well-known prog acts, Genesis and VDGG are the only catalogues he has not done anything with.

I'd be happier to have properly mastered versions of the original mixes out there again when it comes to Genesis. This is almost unprecedented, to have an entire catalogue only available in remixed form, but for some reason they chose to do that.

Well, it's true that of the more well-known prog acts, Genesis and VDGG are the only catalogues he has not done anything with...

Steven W. has done some recording work with David Gilmour in the past. Obviously, what with the recent Immersion series, he wouldn't be working on any Pink Floyd albums, but, he might do his magic with David Gilmour's back catalogue.

I'd like to see a nice Deluxe version of this album!

They don't own the rights to From Genesis To Revelation. It could do with a remix but that'll never happen.
    Surely King is due to re-rerelease it again sometime soon. Having Wilson remix it might be a way to get a few people to buy it for the sixth time.