Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

Not much for me to say about who's going to win the NBA finals this year. Is there ANY doubt that Golden State is going to sweep everybody? The one caveat is IF one of their top 4 starters (Durant, Thompson, Green, Curry) has a serious injury. Their BENCH would beat at least half of the rest of the league. Can anyone else recall a team that had 4 serious All-Stars? I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I read that before he got to his seats he got into an angry exchange with security, swearing, using racial slurs, just generally being an ass.
    Didn't happen. Nothing happened until Oakley was in his seat.

The problem is that the Knicks' de facto "owner" (failed rock and roll guitarist and Cablevision empire heir James Dolan) is an unconscionable douche.

It's too bad security couldn't have gotten there just a little bit later; Knicks fans wouldn't have James Dolan to worry about any more.
    Last edited by Facelift; 02-13-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Not much for me to say about who's going to win the NBA finals this year. Is there ANY doubt that Golden State is going to sweep everybody?
    The Spurs are almost as good and I could easily see them winning a 7 game series.

Other than that, though, I think the Cavs would come up just short this year (probably lose in 6 or 7 games). The Cavs were the better team last year, but this year they are just not clicking. Also, whereas the Cavs were better than the Warriors last year, this year Durant puts G.S. over the top.

The idea that G.S. is going to sweep everybody is ridiculous, though, unless they get an easy draw and somehow avoid the Spurs and Cavs.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The Spurs are almost as good and I could easily see them winning a 7 game series.

Other than that, though, I think the Cavs would come up just short this year (probably lose in 6 or 7 games). The Cavs were the better team last year, but this year they are just not clicking. Also, whereas the Cavs were better than the Warriors last year, this year Durant puts G.S. over the top.

The idea that G.S. is going to sweep everybody is ridiculous, though, unless they get an easy draw and somehow avoid the Spurs and Cavs.
    After seeing the Knicks beat S.A. yesterday, I doubt the Spurs go far and especially get past the Warriors.
    The Knicks.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    After seeing the Knicks beat S.A. yesterday, I doubt the Spurs go far and especially get past the Warriors.
    The Knicks.
    The Spurs are 41-13, and you are getting hung up on their losing a road game to the Knicks? Warriors recently lost a game to the Kings. Who cares either way?

The Spurs an excellent team; only slightly worse than GS and very capable of beating them.

Kevin Durant out for the season. Hyperextended knee. Ouch.

Now this is an ouch; Andrew Bogut broke his leg a minute into his NBA debut-

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/...cid=spartanntp

** CLEVELAND -- LeBron James didn't need to speak with Andrew Bogut or see the X-rays on the center's leg.
    "I heard it break," he said. "I heard it crack."
    In an ugly instant, Cleveland lost much more than a game Monday night.
    Bogut broke his left leg less than one minute into his debut and the Cavaliers never recovered while being outgunned 106-98 by the surging and not-to-be-overlooked Miami Heat, who beat the NBA champions twice in three nights. **

Vid within this ESPN link- http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...but-leg-injury
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Bogut spends only 4 days with the Sixers and he still manages to get a season-ending injury.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Ooooooffffffff.

I wish I could say that I wasn't very familiar with Bogut's injury history, but remember who initially drafted him #1.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've yet to watch any serious NBA games this season but I'm following the Heat anyway. Even with a .500 or below record they're in the playoffs. Don't expect them to go deep into the post season but it's still good to see them not tanking the season for a ping pong ball.

Due to life getting in the way, I haven't been following the Bucks closely, but they're up to the 5 seed in the East, which shocked the hell out of me.

Evidently Khris Middleton healthy works better in tandem with the Greek Freak than the injured (again!) Jabari Parker did.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Watching Heat vs. Kanicks. We look flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've yet to watch any serious NBA games this season but I'm following the Heat anyway. Even with a .500 or below record they're in the playoffs. Don't expect them to go deep into the post season but it's still good to see them not tanking the season for a ping pong ball.
    They're about as far from tanking as you could possibly get, having gone 11-30 in the first half and then 26-10 in the second half (with five games remaining).

Golden State (28-8) and San Antonio (27-8) are the only teams in the league with better second-half records than Miami.

Looks like we might be on the outside looking in. We had the 6th seed, now we're hanging on to 8th seed by the skin of our teeth. That loss to the Knicks last Friday was huge. Then the loss to Denver didn't help either. That hole they were in (11-30) is haunting them now.

Eesh. First time ever that a team that was 19 games under .500 finished at .500 (41-41). It was valient but that hole was too deep. We're not in the playoffs. Ah well. As usual, GS and SA are the cream of the league. And as usual, no team in the East stands a chance.

Yesterday on ESPN there was a discussion on which of the first round matchups could most likely turn out to be an upset, and 2 of the 4 people thought it was the Bucks over the Raptors.

WTF are they thinking, and I'm a Bucks fan?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yesterday on ESPN there was a discussion on which of the first round matchups could most likely turn out to be an upset, and 2 of the 4 people thought it was the Bucks over the Raptors.

WTF are they thinking, and I'm a Bucks fan?
    Well, considering that there are only three possible answers to that question (the other two are Oklahoma City over Houston or Atlanta over Washington) having two of the four pick the Bucks isn't that much of a stretch. They had to pick *somebody* and I think it's a reasonable pick, given the other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Well, considering that there are only three possible answers to that question (the other two are Oklahoma City over Houston or Atlanta over Washington) having two of the four pick the Bucks isn't that much of a stretch. They had to pick *somebody* and I think it's a reasonable pick, given the other options.
    OK, so you're INCONSISTENTLY clairvoyant.

FEAR THE DEER!!!!

I'm rooting for Milwaukee but I think Trono is too much for 'em.

^Maybe not.

The Bucks are done, but they sure as hell made their last game interesting. Down to the Raps by 25 with 5:00 left in the 3rd qtr they came back all the way to a 3 point lead with 3:00 to go in the game but wound up losing by 3. Lots of tall guys openly crying. Had they gotten blown out it would have been much easier on them.

I'm done watching until the finals.

Anyone watching the Celtics/Wizards game?. Jeezuz how many times are they going to show Isaiah Thomas' missing toof?

NBA Haiku Time:

Isaiah Thomas
    Lost one of his pearly whites
    The show must go on
    The Prog Corner

OK...

Greek Freak
    Waiting In Wings
    Fear The Deer