Thread: NBA Basketball 2015-16 Thread

  1. #51
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Is there an end game to this strategy? Aren't they eventually supposed to win games?
    The end-game should be next season. This is supposed to be the last "tank." The "plan" was stretched because of the injuries to Embiid. But next year they should be getting Dario Saric from Europe, potentially four 1st-round draft picks, and maybe (just maybe) Embiid. Add all of that to Noel and Okafor, and they should be trying to compete next season.

    Fingers crossed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    1-18. I still smell a single-digit victory total for the season.
    Maybe, but they started 0-17 last year and still finished with 18 wins.

  3. #53
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The end-game should be next season. This is supposed to be the last "tank." The "plan" was stretched because of the injuries to Embiid. But next year they should be getting Dario Saric from Europe, potentially four 1st-round draft picks, and maybe (just maybe) Embiid. Add all of that to Noel and Okafor, and they should be trying to compete next season.

    Fingers crossed.
    And then you have the 4+ years of learning to play as a team, developing rookies and foreign players, and hoping you have consistently with coaching to see it all through.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  4. #54
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    And then you have the 4+ years of learning to play as a team, developing rookies and foreign players, and hoping you have consistently with coaching to see it all through.
    Yep. That, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  5. #55
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,106
    Without Lebron the Cavs are pretty mediocre. The Heat are torching them.

  6. #56
    Connoisseur of stuff. Obscured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    993
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Maybe, but they started 0-17 last year and still finished with 18 wins.
    1-20. But Brooklyn, at 5-14 is hot on their trail in the Atlantic. Look out, the Lakers (??) are 3-16.
    Meanwhile, 21-0.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Without Lebron the Cavs are pretty mediocre. The Heat are torching them.
    Did he play against the Capitals the other night.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  8. #58
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    4,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Without Lebron the Cavs are pretty mediocre. The Heat are torching them.
    Keep in mind that they're without their starting back court, one of whom is a perennial all-star. But yeah, Love has been in a funk the last few, and J.R. has been all season. Mozgov isn't all the way back from that knee he had scoped in the off-season and may not be in game shape either. Right now, they look old and un-athletic. We're expecting things to look different by playoff time.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  9. #59
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Keep in mind that they're without their starting back court, one of whom is a perennial all-star. But yeah, Love has been in a funk the last few, and J.R. has been all season. Mozgov isn't all the way back from that knee he had scoped in the off-season and may not be in game shape either. Right now, they look old and un-athletic. We're expecting things to look different by playoff time.
    I know, Kyrie (sp?) was out too. I'm sure they both (Lebron and Kyrie) know they'll be playing the Heat a lot this year (probably the playoffs too) and they (the Cavs) will wipe the floor with us. Who knows? The Heat look like they're kind of on a mission. It's good to see them winning now and beating a Lebron-less Cavaliers. There's been a lot of scuttlebutt about Dwyane Wade being way past his prime and all that, but last night he was playing pretty good. Then again, no James or Irving playing.

  10. #60
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    4,591
    Did I see that right on the crawl? Sixers lose by 50 to the Spurs?

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Did I see that right on the crawl? Sixers lose by 50 to the Spurs?
    After that 2nd-half debacle against the Lakers, they're not taking any more chances.

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Did I see that right on the crawl? Sixers lose by 50 to the Spurs?
    It's even worse than that. San Antonio sat Duncan, Leonard, and Ginobli, played Tony Parker just 16 minutes and LaMarcus Aldridge 21 minutes. So the Sixers basically lost by 50 points to the Spurs bench.

    Undrafted 27-year old rookie Boban Marjanovic (who?), averaging 5 minutes per game this year, scored 18 points in 17 minutes against the Sixers. And fellow undrafted rookie, 26-year old Jonathon Simmons (oh yeah, him!), averaging 13 minutes per game in only 8 games played, scored 14.

  13. #63
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    After that 2nd-half debacle against the Lakers, they're not taking any more chances.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  14. #64
    Connoisseur of stuff. Obscured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    993
    For the record, they lost by 51. In other news, 23-0.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

  15. #65
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    4,591
    Cavaliers came out sleepwalking again and didn't move the ball or play defense. Came out with energy in the second half and beat the 'Blazers by 5, after trailing by as much as 18.

  16. #66
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    4,591
    Kudos to the Warriors. Is the 1971-72 Lakers streak in jeopardy?

    (Yes, I remember that win streak.)

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Kudos to the Warriors. Is the 1971-72 Lakers streak in jeopardy?

    (Yes, I remember that win streak.)
    Still need to win 10 more to tie the record and 11 to break it. 7 of their next 11 games are at home:

    24 Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at Boston Celtics
    25 Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at Milwaukee Bucks
    26 Wed, Dec 16, 2015 vs Phoenix Suns
    27 Fri, Dec 18, 2015 vs Milwaukee Bucks
    28 Wed, Dec 23, 2015 vs Utah Jazz
    29 Fri, Dec 25, 2015 vs Cleveland Cavaliers
    30 Mon, Dec 28, 2015 vs Sacramento Kings
    31 Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at Dallas Mavericks
    32 Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at Houston Rockets
    33 Sat, Jan 2, 2016 vs Denver Nuggets
    34 Mon, Jan 4, 2016 vs Charlotte Hornets

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Still need to win 10 more to tie the record and 11 to break it. 7 of their next 11 games are at home:

    24 Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at Boston Celtics
    25 Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at Milwaukee Bucks
    26 Wed, Dec 16, 2015 vs Phoenix Suns
    27 Fri, Dec 18, 2015 vs Milwaukee Bucks
    28 Wed, Dec 23, 2015 vs Utah Jazz
    29 Fri, Dec 25, 2015 vs Cleveland Cavaliers
    30 Mon, Dec 28, 2015 vs Sacramento Kings
    31 Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at Dallas Mavericks
    32 Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at Houston Rockets
    33 Sat, Jan 2, 2016 vs Denver Nuggets
    34 Mon, Jan 4, 2016 vs Charlotte Hornets
    I hope they make it to Christmas, for that Cavs game. If the Cavs are at full strength, they're a better team.

  19. #69
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    4,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I hope they make it to Christmas, for that Cavs game. If the Cavs are at full strength, they're a better team.
    The media are reporting that Kyrie and Shump look good in practice. Still, last night they were at the end of the bench in civvies again.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  20. #70
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I hope they make it to Christmas, for that Cavs game. If the Cavs are at full strength, they're a better team.
    Yea not so much. The Cav's starting 5 MAY rival the Dubs first unit, but full roster.... not a chance. The Warriors are super deep and the line-up combinations available to Walton are endless and productive. Plus, the Warriors home court advantage is huge.

    Around here the only team people are talking about with any chance of rivalling the Warriors are the Spurs.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  21. #71
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    4,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Yea not so much. The Cav's starting 5 MAY rival the Dubs first unit, but full roster.... not a chance.
    Don't bet on that one. The Cavaliers are much deeper than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Plus, the Warriors home court advantage is huge.
    The Cavaliers are something like 39-2 in their last 41 at the Q in the regular season. Yeah, they'd have to win one in the Bay Area, but they did it in this year's Finals with a depleted team.

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Around here the only team people are talking about with any chance of rivalling the Warriors are the Spurs.
    Hopefully, the Warriors team is taking that approach too.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Yea not so much. The Cav's starting 5 MAY rival the Dubs first unit, but full roster.... not a chance. The Warriors are super deep and the line-up combinations available to Walton are endless and productive.
    I think I would have to argue exactly the opposite; Golden State has the clearly superior starting five but Cleveland probably has the better bench.

    Warriors vs. Cavs, assuming full health for both:

    Starters:
    Curry >>> Irving
    Thompson >>>>> Shumpert
    James >>>>> Barnes
    Green > Love (*)
    Bogut ~= Mozgov

    Reserves:
    Mo Williams >>> Shaun Livingston
    J.R. Smith > Leandro Barbosa
    Matthew Dellavedova >> Brandon Rush
    Andre Iguodala > Richard Jefferson
    Tristan Thompson >>> Mareese Speights
    Festus Ezeli >> Anderson Varejao

    (*) Yeah, I said it. Draymond Green is better than Kevin Love and it will be a crime if he's not an all-star this year.

  23. #73
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    I think I would have to argue exactly the opposite; Golden State has the clearly superior starting five but Cleveland probably has the better bench.

    Warriors vs. Cavs, assuming full health for both:

    Starters:
    Curry >>> Irving
    Thompson >>>>> Shumpert
    James >>>>> Barnes
    Green > Love (*)
    Bogut ~= Mozgov

    Reserves:
    Mo Williams >>> Shaun Livingston
    J.R. Smith > Leandro Barbosa
    Matthew Dellavedova >> Brandon Rush
    Andre Iguodala > Richard Jefferson
    Tristan Thompson >>> Mareese Speights
    Festus Ezeli >> Anderson Varejao

    (*) Yeah, I said it. Draymond Green is better than Kevin Love and it will be a crime if he's not an all-star this year.
    That's a good analysis, although I'd disagree with the method you used for reserves as a one to one correlation does not necessarily demonstrate superiority over how well the unit performs.

    It's also hard to quantify lineup to lineup, but one thing we can compare is records and opponent records. The Warriors are 23-0 against opponents with a combined winning percentage of 44% while the Cavs are 14-7 against opponents with a combined winning percentage of 45%. But, despite all that what will matter is the result of the head to head meetings, of which we can all look forward to!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  24. #74
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    4,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post

    (*) Yeah, I said it. Draymond Green is better than Kevin Love and it will be a crime if he's not an all-star this year.
    I'm gonna hold off on that. Green is a good player, and certainly much better than I expected he'd be coming out of Michigan St. (I saw him play for Sparty quite a few times.) However, I'm not at all convinced that he's not just a system player, and if you took him off the Warriors and put him on another team, you wouldn't see a drop off. Love has played in 2 systems and been a multiple all-star. I realize that Green isn't going anywhere, so that's all hypothetical, but Love is the best stretch 4 in the League, with a strong inside game as well.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  25. #75
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm gonna hold off on that. Green is a good player, and certainly much better than I expected he'd be coming out of Michigan St. (I saw him play for Sparty quite a few times.) However, I'm not at all convinced that he's not just a system player, and if you took him off the Warriors and put him on another team, you wouldn't see a drop off. Love has played in 2 systems and been a multiple all-star. I realize that Green isn't going anywhere, so that's all hypothetical, but Love is the best stretch 4 in the League, with a strong inside game as well.
    I agree. When we, the Dubs, were pseudo in the hunt for Love, I initially wanted him. But the emergence of Draymond has made that a moot point. Tonight is a big game for us as potentially both Klay and Harrison will be out.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •