Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    1) Legacy
    2) Family/Lifestyle
    3) The Salary Cap/Luxury Tax
    Well, those last two are purely basketball reason, although understandable. And are you saying that if joined a superteam that would tarnish his legacy?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yep. This is the problem. The league should just contract to four teams, since no more than that have any legitimate shot at doing anything.

And they said that the Sixers tanking was bad for the league.
    But hasn't this always (read: generally) been the way with basketball? There are only a handful of teams that could do anything of value and the rest of the league just hopes for next year (or next next year)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    But hasn't this always (read: generally) been the way with basketball? There are only a handful of teams that could do anything of value and the rest of the league just hopes for next year (or next next year)?
    Yes, pretty much. This is why it will always be a 4th-rated sport, to me.

The problem is that the league thinks this is a good thing. The NFL has its problems, but they at least figured out that parity brings more fans.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I think LeBron knows this run is it. I think they might win a championship at some point in the next 4 years. But, when LeBron calls it a career the thorn in his side will be Golden State. LeBron still has a hell of a legacy.

Well, those last two are purely basketball reason, although understandable. And are you saying that if joined a superteam that would tarnish his legacy?
    If he joined a team that was already a champion, he's just a remora at that point, like gutless Kevin Durant. Yes, it would tarnish his legacy.

With one major difference: Before, there were 4 or 5 teams with a legit shot at winning the title, barring injury. Now, there is one, assuming Boogie comes back at some point as a reasonable facsimile of his prior self.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I think LeBron knows this run is it. I think they might win a championship at some point in the next 4 years.
    It's gonna be a steep uphill climb. The Lakers as constituted can't do it, I don't care how much more experience the youngsters get. If they add Kawhi, they have to trade some of the young talent. Plus, Lebron will be 34 in December, iirc. He's been playing at an amazing level all this time, but Father Time is undefeated.

It's gonna be a steep uphill climb. The Lakers as constituted can't do it, I don't care how much more experience the youngsters get. If they add Kawhi, they have to trade some of the young talent. Plus, Lebron will be 34 in December, iirc. He's been playing at an amazing level all this time, but Father Time is undefeated.
    Yep.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Curious what you guys think of the NBA draft lottery system? In the NFL the draft is conducted by straight win / loss of the previous year, so the worst teams always get the best draft picks. This helps maintain parity within the league. With the lottery system in the NBA the worst teams don't always get the best draft picks. I have always thought that contributes to the parity problem in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Curious what you guys think of the NBA draft lottery system? In the NFL the draft is conducted by straight win / loss of the previous year, so the worst teams always get the best draft picks. This helps maintain parity within the league. With the lottery system in the NBA the worst teams don't always get the best draft picks. I have always thought that contributes to the parity problem in the league.
    You're probably right, but they do the lottery to try to prevent the blatant tanking and losing on purpose to get the first pick, which was going on before. Of course now that means you have multiple teams 'tanking' in some ways, so I don't know how much it accomplished.

Never cared for the lottery system. In the early 90s I remember the Orlando Magic got the first pick ping pong ball 2 years in a row. People were losing their minds over that (unless you were a Magic fan). Otoh I get that it's a deterrent to tanking but I still don't like the system.

If he joined a team that was already a champion, he's just a remora at that point, like gutless Kevin Durant. Yes, it would tarnish his legacy.
    Interesting. In my mind it wouldn't, as I said I'm not a fan so my opinions are outside of that sphere.

With one major difference: Before, there were 4 or 5 teams with a legit shot at winning the title, barring injury. Now, there is one, assuming Boogie comes back at some point as a reasonable facsimile of his prior self.
    That's fair. Although, isn't this what every team would want to try and do? Build a quote unquote superteam?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    draft lotteries suck. I'm a hockey fan and I hate to see it there.

Looks like Kawhi is going to the Raptors. If it's true then good on him and the league. I have nothing against Lebron but he has turned this league upside down. I hope Lebron gets another ring and calls it a career.

The Raptors????

The Raptors????
    Yeah, for Derozan and...We don't know yet.

I heard a report that Kawhi doesn't want to play with Lebron. Good. This league is a joke.

Yeah, for Derozan and...We don't know yet.
    Leonard and Danny Green for Derozan, Poetl and a protected 1st round pick.

Deal is final now. Raptors made out like bandits if they can extend Kawhi. Good luck with that.

Deal is final now. Raptors made out like bandits if they can extend Kawhi. Good luck with that.
    Kawhi will be in LA next year.

Kawhi will be in LA next year.
    Everyone expects that to be the case, but if he does, he leaves 50 mil on the table.

I just heard that Dwyane Wade is going to play in China. What?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I just heard that Dwyane Wade is going to play in China. What?
    No, Vic, he signed a lifetime promotional contract with a Chinese company. Athletic shoes or apparel or somesuch. Easy money.

Burp.

I wish Hasan Whiteside would play in China......